Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God parents

Options
  • 01-10-2010 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you have to be catholic to be a god-parent?

(hope that doesn't answer itself lol :o)

We have friends who are protestant who we would really like to be godparents to our baby, they 've been brilliant to our first and love kids, think I know the answer really but would love to have then stand for him/her.

IMO you shouldn't have to be part of the same religeon to ensure the child is taught properly about theirs etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest you get a copy of the vows they are expected to take and talk to them about it and then talk to your parish priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

My sisters Godmother is Protestant and that was 1977 so I'd say if anything the rules are more relaxed now. Mammy did say that the priest insisted that the other Godparent was Catholic and they did have discussion in advance on the vows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My husband is godfather to a friends son and hes an aethiest (sp). I think it depends on the priest tbh. That priest was fine about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

I am one of those I don't believe in any religion or part of any of them and I am twice god father and the priests knows about it.

But I have been baptised, so it might help but was out of my control :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

Thanks guys, TBH the issue never arose on our first, we weren't asked.

We'll speak to the priest (he's fairly forward thinking for the clergy).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

bladespin wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have to be catholic to be a god-parent?

If it is a Catholic ceremony then yes, God-Parent means someone who will teach your child in the catholic faith, and as far as i know they will take vows swearing to always have the catholic faith at heart when guiding your child.

it is also a church requirement that God-parents have been confirmed (although i know some priests have been known to not to care)

If it is not a catholic ceremony or if the actual catholic god-parent is not available you can have what they call a 'Sponsor' which is someone who makes no vows but who 'stands' for the child in the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Technically yes.

In reality most priests don't care.

Proof is not sought at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 doodlenoodle

Technically yes.
    In reality most priests don't care.
    Proof is not sought at the time.

Totally right. At least two of my kids godparents aren't even Irish, much less Catholics. It all hangs on the priest and if he is bothered. If he doesn't ask, don't tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

My sons godmother is an Italian American anglican. He was christened a Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    I'm Protestant, hubbie Catholic, son baptised in a Catholic church.

Godparents, well he has 3, 1 male, 2 female - one of whom is in a same sex partnership.All 3 live in the UK

Not all are Catholic.

When I looked at the vows used for the ceremony they are practically identical to those used in a Church of England service.

Fran

• Advertisement
Advertisement