Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this good value for money??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

Well if you are just starting out, It's a great deal.
    The Bic Magnum is an excellent first board, totally indestructable:D
    It was my first board, when I started surfing around four years ago.
    I still use the Bic occasionaly, when my fiberglass board is waiting to be repaired:)

Not sure about the wetsuit though, I wear an O' neil heat, has liquid seam seals....much warmer than taped seams:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Spend your money locally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Spend more money for the same stuff locally

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Good luck to you in a few years when you need a new leash or bar of wax when all the local surf shos are closed becase of no one buying locally. Remember, inlots of cases, those who run the local surf shops are also usually heavily involved with local surf culture and clubs.

I have never seen anyone in Ireland getting rich running a local surf shop, so do not think they are ripping you off. As said above, shop locally.

OK, I should spend over 100 euro more on a wetsuit today on the off chance that I need some wax in three years time...sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wuben

Good luck to you in a few years when you need a new leash or bar of wax when all the local surf shos are closed becase of no one buying locally. Remember, inlots of cases, those who run the local surf shops are also usually heavily involved with local surf culture and clubs.

I have never seen anyone in Ireland getting rich running a local surf shop, so do not think they are ripping you off. As said above, shop locally.

do you honestly think i want the hassel of buying in from outside of ireland without even seeing my board or trying on my wetsuit??the only reason i do this is because its cheaper....and in some cases alot cheaper i would love to spend local but im not going to spend my hard earned cash local if the product is more expensive and i can get a better deal elsewhere im sorry things are hard enough...........as it stands i rang a shop in sligo and he said he would match the offer which is great so now i can try on my suit but i did do alot of shopping around icon7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

OK, I should spend over 100 euro more on a wetsuit today on the off chance that I need some wax in three years time...sure.

Never understood the people who buy wetsuits online:eek:

If you take it that 40% of wetsuits will be faulty, if you take it back to a local shop, they may just sort you out with a new or spare suit while the other one gets repaired.

If its not got locally you can be rightly stuffed

Just remember that you can't surf without a wetsuit

rodento wrote: »
    Never understood the people who buy wetsuits online:eek:
    If you take it that 40% of wetsuits will be faulty, if you take it back to a local shop, they may just sort you out with a new or spare suit while the other one gets repaired.

If its not got locally you can be rightly stuffed

Just remember that you can't surf without a wetsuit

While I agree with you to some extent, there is a trade off between the chance of getting a fault and the the difference in cost. If I'm saving over 100 euro online, I'd generally consider it worth getting it online. If its 30 - 40 euro in the difference, I'd buy it locally. The difference in price dictates whether I buy it online or not. Is that too hard to understand?

What's 100 euro for piece of mind:eek:

I've always been able to get a discount and have gotten new suits straight away from two different outlets in dublin when I have returned faulty suits and that kinda service is priceless:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

If you're in your local shop often enough, a regular face who'll chat and have the criac with those working there, you'll earn a discount on various items.

I've managed to borrow fins & leashes etc from my shop owner when needed, I've gotten decent discounts on suits and other items as well as the odd item thrown in free.
    If I was buying largely online I'd have been stuck in many of these cases and lost out on some decent days of surf.
    The shop will be there whereas the online won't when I realize I've forgotten a leash, fin etc and it's pumping away.

Meeting the guys at the local spot, getting along with 'em as well being a loyal customer and demonstrating that you can actually ride a wave will earn other perks too, Kingofwateryspunk.com won't give you the call when its a special day and you're scratching your arse elsewhere.

And as OldGuysRule says, these guys don't get rich they just tip along trying their best and probably providing an odd job or two while at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 eiresurfer

That board is designed for bigger surfers. If you're under 12 stone, you may want to consider the 7'9 bic.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭JKC

I have to agree with buying from your local shop. A mate was going buy a new wet suit based on his current one, we dropped into Bundoran to check the suit in the shop, he tried to try on the suit size he was going to order, but the fit was nowhere near close, the guys in the shop helped him find a suitable suit, and gave him a discount. As we were leaving the shop he said he was glad he hadn't ordered online, as he would have stuffed!

At the end of the day, buying a wetsuit online is a gamble, buying a wetsuit in a shop that you can try on, get advise on wins out every time.

I have never bought a wetsuit I haven't tried, its pure madness!

Now enough ranting, hopefully we're all going have a pumping autumn\winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,501 ✭✭✭✭ted1

40per cent faulty:) what a load of rubbish. Buy locally where affordable.but if their having a laugh shop with your wallet. I know some onli shops that are local shops where they are but have good business heads to have a good website marketing and prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

I have to agree with the advice to stay local. I'm pretty new to surfing, and I have to say, between the local surf schools and shops that I've given business to in Tramore and Bundoran, I got it back tenfold in advice and help.

ted1 wrote: »
    40per cent faulty:) what a load of rubbish.

Guess I have to ask if you surf:eek:

Got two new suits in September and the zips gone in one already...

Thank christ I can drop it into the local shop and have a spare:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

wuben wrote: »
    ....as it stands i rang a shop in sligo and he said he would match the offer which is great so now i can try on my suit but i did do alot of shopping around icon7.gif

in that case you cant go wrong.

i think you should post up the name of the shop as they are offering great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wuben

lg123 wrote: »
    in that case you cant go wrong.

i think you should post up the name of the shop as they are offering great value.

i went to john in sunset surf shop in sligo he matched the deal and i found him brilliant he was very honest in opinions about some of his stock and treated me very well would recommend him. Its very handy aswell there in sligo town on the road to bundoran:D

Advertisement