Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 M11 construction

Options
  • 01-10-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what all the construction going on at the side of the M11 M50 is, lots of trees and earth removed. Look like very deep bays for pulling over. There on near Bray exit and Sandyford at least, i'm fairly sure there are a couple more alongt he way too.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Last I heard they were meant to be installing ramp metering there at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

whats "ramp metering"?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Essentially traffic lights on the slip coming from Loughlinstown to limit the flow of vehicles onto the mainline in heavy traffic. In theory improving overall capacity as mainline traffic ceases to come to a standstill.

Stark wrote: »
    Essentially traffic lights on the slip coming from Loughlinstown to limit the flow of vehicles onto the mainline in heavy traffic. In theory improving overall capacity as mainline traffic ceases to come to a standstill.

oh yeah, I'd heard about that alright. But why is the same kind of clearing/structure being built just south of the Sandyford exit then too?
    I can't see lights being needed there and its too far down from the ramp for that anyway I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

VMS/ electronic sign gantries? Drove past it the other day, looked like it to me.

New Welcome to Dun Laoghaire Rathdown signage on northbound M11. Nothing for auld Wickla going south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

whats "ramp metering"?
    Essentially traffic lights on the on ramps to restrict the numbers of cars joining the motorway at selected places. All computer controlled based on traffic volumes on the mainline. They have them in the Netherlands where they work well.

See http://www.dlrcoco.ie/planning/Part8/Wilford_Interchange.htm and http://www.wicklow.ie/apps/wicklowbeta/News/Part8_M11.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

NFD100 wrote: »
    VMS/ electronic sign gantries? Drove past it the other day, looked like it to me.

New Welcome to Dun Laoghaire Rathdown signage on northbound M11. Nothing for auld Wickla going south
    Yeah, I'd say that's more likely .. it looks like they're just putting in some kind of foundation / footings for the gantries, or may extra lighting?

The whole ramp metering thing is most likely to be put on the long finger for the mean time I'm guessing.

that sound like a reasonable explanation alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Lots of work on the M1 too between Ballough and Swords to install the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is the M1 not extensively VMS'ed already?

• Advertisement
Advertisement