Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pooper Scoopers for dogs

• 01-10-2010 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hey everyone i was wondering could you help me out.

Ive been looking at pooper scoopers which you take with you when walking your dog, i was wondering have you any recommendations on which method for cleaning up dog waste is while out on a walk.

What would be the best type of pooper scooper out there. Im looking at making a new type of pooper scooper which will be alot easier to use for people so if you think there are any major issues with them at the minute please dont hesitate to post your gripes!

Thanks everyone!:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Not very helpful reply I know but I find them too bulky to carry around with you. I just carry small nappy bags in my pocket and when I need to use one I just put my hand into the bag pick the poo up and turn the bag inside out and knot it, then put it into your pocket double bagged usually. Keeps your hands nice and warm! :D

Are you designing a new one? If I were to buy one what I would look out for are weight, ease of use, ease of cleaning and how easy/hard it is to carry around with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I'm the same, buy nappy/poop bags in the €2 shop...200/300 for €2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

+1 for nappy bags. No worrying about washing out the scoop after a runny poo or where to put it in your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

I have a little grapper that i can carry around in my pocket whilst out walking. i bought it in the 2euro store and have another Pedigree one that i bought in a pet store. You usually get 50/100 bags with it and you fit the bag into the inside of the grabber and put the handles on the outside so that you nor the actual grabber touches the poop, therefore no cleaning!!:D it's so handy and really easy to use and it was only €2!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 popetony

yeah im looking at designing a new one and i found that people dont want to lug around a big grabber style thing when walking their dog. so maybe there could be a second use for the grabber if it has to be this long. thats great feedback, every comment is appreciated, thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

As other's have said I find the bag over the hand is the simplest, most convinient and cleanest method. Not much help to you I'm afraid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Ohh, what about an umberella/poop scooper where the poop scooper is unbulky, detatchable and user friendly. I'd buy that if the umberella was decent quality!

<ETA> And some sort of simple device to give the dog a drink, and a little pouch for treats.

The ultimate dog walking accessory :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 drongal

I can only confirm what is above: bags only:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I had a scooper, but quickly gave up using it because it's just easier to put the bag over your hand and pick the poo up that may. My ex used to always use it, but that's because he was really squeamish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

+1 for the bag... scented nappy bags!

But I would like an attachment for the full ones, to hang off the lead
    - instead of in my hand - where I can smell it!!

p.s. I picked up a really cool lead in heatons the other day.
    retractable & has a flashlight attached to top & a section to put your nappy bags.
    Thought it was a great idea, considering my bichon had just chewed through the last one we bought.

OOOOhhh you should invent an unchewable retractable lead! I'd buy that off you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm afraid no pooper scooper here either, just a bag over the hand. I also use the nappy bags or poop bags if they're cheap.
    Generally have enough stuff in pockets with keys, phone, bags and two dogs(and sometimes a cat).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Nappy bags FTW.

€1.49 for 300 Tesco value scented bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

+1 for the nappy bags, Found the pooper scooper very bulky and kept forgetting it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Joe58

I have designed and made a new pooper scooper, light weight, aluminiun with a hinged cup mechanism that can be used (disguised ) as a walking stick, I need to know how much would someone be willing to pay for this as it would be expensive to manufacture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Zapperzy wrote: »
    then put it into your pocket double bagged usually. Keeps your hands nice and warm! :D

:eek::eek::pac::pac::pac: OMG! No I'd never risk that - in case I got a whack off a dogs head/one of them jumped up/i fell over and it burst in my póca!

Anyhoos I just use bags. I bought 17 rolls of them in Ikea when they were getting rid of their pet stuff last year lol :pac:. I don't like the nappy ones because you can see the poo inside so I plan on getting a load of black ones from ebay when the Ikea ones run out.
    IMO if you feed the right kind of food for the dog in question you should have easy to lift poo and no need for a scooper?

EDIT that was just the first listing that came up on ebay - obviously I'd go for one with cheaper postage!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

walking along the canal in dublin i saw a notice on a dog poop bin that they give out pooper scoopers in the garda station and library. I dont know if they charge or of the service is nation wide. anyone ever used them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

tk123 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::pac::pac::pac: OMG! No I'd never risk that - in case I got a whack off a dogs head/one of them jumped up/i fell over and it burst in my póca!

:D Hasn't happened yet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

you can get little zip up things that clip onto your belt or belt loops to carry the poo bags in - full and empty ones.

Sorry OP, I can't give you an idea of how much I'd pay, as I always just use the bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭danois

They have a bone shapped holder/dispenser with scented bags in the €2 shop it connects to dogs collar so he carrys his own bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nollipop

I just use the bag-over-the-hand method too, but I find that big dog waste doesn't always fit into just one of them, so you have to faff around with 2 bags and run the risk of accidentally touching the poop. Yuck!

Plus the 2Euro bags (either doggy or nappy) are a b*gger to find the opening of. I've lost count of how many times I've pulled some out of my pocket and created a hole in one of the bags whilst trying to open it and fit it over my hand!

I did buy some nice solid black rolls of poop bags which were a generous size, biodegradable and easy to open but they cost a lot more.

If you're designing things for this end of the dog, cost is going to be much more important versus pretty collars or things that don't get thrown instantly away...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I recently bought 1000 biodegradable poo bags, not see through, with handles, on Amazon for €22. They're great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The problem with scoops is the inconsistency in the consistency of pooh !. Also it depends on whether the pooh is on a flat surface or in long grass.
    In theory the best idea is freezing spray but in reality they don't work. The other option could be a cardboard scoop/box that unfolds from flat & can be flushed down the loo. By overprinting adverts on the scoops one could generate revenue to help keep the price viable.

The problem with a lot of scoops is that one often needs something to push the pooh into the scoop. So you end up with two bits covered in pooh. I am sure that people are put off the bags by the idea of having to grab the pooh.

I am sure that some people would love the idea of being able to pick up the pooh without it being obvious. Pooh Stick would be a great name unless it is protected under the Winnie the Pooh copyright.

Anyway there are lots of people here who be willing to evaluate any new prototypes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

We use (when we can get them) bio degradable nappy bags, or use normal ones when we can't get them, and use the "bag over hand" method, then tie it off and double bag it. Them carry them with us as we walk (we usually end up with one giant bag with multiple smaller bags inside as opposed to lots of little ones) and keep loads of spares in back pockets!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭kieranhr

Well, here's your competition anyway:

http://www.poopscoop.biz/

These are the best I've ever used, much better than a bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Afraid i'm a cheapskate, 60c for a hundred freezer bags from tesco then €2 for 100 black scented poo bags from choice. I use the bag over the hand method then pop it into a poo bag. Very useful at home because dogs have a gravel pen to mess in and i can clean it out using freezer bags and only use the 1 poo bag.

Advertisement