Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.E.M. 2011 Album

Options
  • 01-10-2010 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

R.E.M. have finished recording and are in the mixing phase of their newest album. It is scheduled for a 2011 release.

After restoring some confidence in their abilities to continue to produce quality music with the release of Accelerate, what are your hopes and expectations for this next album?

Personally, I would like it to be longer than 34minutes, as Accelerate was!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Moved to Rock & Metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Malice_ wrote: »
    Moved to Rock & Metal.
    :confused:

Max Power1 wrote: »
    :confused:
    What's the confusion about? REM are a rock band, this is a thread about their new album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

What's the confusion about? REM are a rock band, this is a thread about their new album.

they are hardcore metallers alright lol should be moved to a forum that encompass's bands like Kings of Leon and the like, i guess they can 'rock' though at times, not that ive ever rocked to them :)

Its bands like REM that further the case to split the forum into a "soft rock" and then "hard rock & heavy metal" sections. REM are a mainstream pop band with a bit of a bluesy rock feel. They do not belong in a rock & metal forum. Is there a pop forum?

• Advertisement

they are hardcore metallers alright lol should be moved to a forum that encompass's bands like Kings of Leon and the like, i guess they can 'rock' though at times, not that ive ever rocked to them :)
    Nobody has said REM are "hardcore metallers" and the last time I checked this was the Rock & Metal forum.
    Its bands like REM that further the case to split the forum into a "soft rock" and then "hard rock & heavy metal" sections. REM are a mainstream pop band with a bit of a bluesy rock feel. They do not belong in a rock & metal forum.
    Do you not see the contradiction in what you've posted? Rock & Metal should encompass blues rock and soft rock. Now let's please stay with the thread topic, gripes about splitting the forum belong here.
    Max Power1 wrote:
    Is there a pop forum?
    There's general music. That's about as close to a pop forum as Boards has.

Nobody has said REM are "hardcore metallers" and the last time I checked this was the Rock & Metal forum.

i never said they were either! and its debatable whether they rock or pop id say the latter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭omerin

Please don't categorise REM as pop. Please. :D

Back on topic, i hope they return to to their old ways, simple catchy songs with a bit of meaning, ala Fall on me, Cuyahoga, Perfect Circle and World Leader Pretend. Jesus they were the good old days :D

omerin wrote: »

ok I wont

:)

omerin wrote: »

Back on topic, i hope they return to to their old ways, simple catchy songs with a bit of meaning, ala Fall on me, Cuyahoga, Perfect Circle and World Leader Pretend. Jesus they were the good old days :D
    I wont, however their music does that for them by itself!

Songs like "shiney happy people" and "The one i love" are pop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭omerin

ok so they've sold out a few times, that's why i'd like things to the type of music when they started out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The one I love is dark as ****.

The one I love is dark as ****.
    Unless the word "latte" is censored, I dont see your point Im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I don't think "The One I Love" is a pop song, and even were it be thought of as such by today's standards, you've got to go back to the time it was released, it was 1987. This was not mainstream music then!!

New album still untitled, and no further info. Next release by the band is a Live From Austin Texas release....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Anyone have any details on the enw album?

Are they working with Jack Knife Lee again?

*For what it's worth R.E.M. threads have generally been in the Alt forum before....

It's been confirmed that Jacknife Lee is to be the producer on this album again...

I wonder if any of the new music will sound like the material that Peter Buck contributed to Tired Pony's album, Scott McCaughey and Jacknife Lee were also involved in this album..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

I like the monster album the rest are pretty
    pretty
    pretty
    pretty
    boring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I don't think "The One I Love" is a pop song, and even were it be thought of as such by today's standards, you've got to go back to the time it was released, it was 1987. This was not mainstream music then!!

New album still untitled, and no further info. Next release by the band is a Live From Austin Texas release....

'The One I Love' charted at number 9 on the US Billboard Hot 100 which would indicate that it was very popular indeed. And seeing as 'pop' is short for 'popular', ergo, I think I've done it! 'The One I Love' = 'Pop'

Ok, look, technically you're correct, but the term 'pop' has come to mean more than 'popular', it is now a genre of music.

Metallica have had 16 singles in the top 20 on the charts in Ireland (count them!!). Does that make their stuff pop music....? Precisely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Metallica have had 16 singles in the top 20 on the charts in Ireland (count them!!). Does that make their stuff pop music....? Precisely :)

sorry but that only proves just how pop they are.

the majority of metallica fans i know are general pop fans, not at all metal. back in the day me zippy harcourt rasher etc used to beat on metallica fans to save face. townies only reference for metalhead derision was them, and g n r and nirvana. it was embarrassing.

they are deliberately chart friendly an not in the least bit inciteful or threatening. metallica are less thrash metal, more precisely pop.

• Advertisement

ANYWAY, back on topic..

The new R.E.M. album will be released in Spring 2011, under the title

"COLLAPSE INTO NOW"

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Hopefully this album will redeem themselves from Accelerate, I really hated that album. :(

lalee17 wrote: »
    Hopefully this album will redeem themselves from Accelerate, I really hated that album. :(

Really? General consensus with people I've talked about it with is "hopefully it'll continue along the lines of Accelerate, and not lapse back into the awfulness that was Around The Sun!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Really? General consensus with people I've talked about it with is "hopefully it'll continue along the lines of Accelerate, and not lapse back into the awfulness that was Around The Sun!"

I'm not the biggest fan of Around The Sun either. Maybe they should stop for a few years, take a breather and come back with a carefully thought-out album. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I have to say I've 'rediscovered' Accelerate and it's a very good album. I have a good feeling for the next one. They should focus less on touring now and make more music.

Confirmed song titles to appear on "Collapse Into Now";

"It Happened Today", featuring Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder on collaborating vocals.
    "Walk It Back"
    "All The Best"
    "Blue" featuring Patti Smith on vocals

...it's also been confirmed that bassist Mike Mills will share lead vocals on a track on this album, if I'm not mistaken, that'd be the first time since 1991.....! (Excluding live albums!)

Advertisement