Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do some of the people who reply to threads just depress ya

• 01-10-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭

:mad:

For example someone says i have lost my job and im struggling to get by at the moment...in an instant you will get someone saying get rid of the broadband and sky the that reply will get multiply thanks...the inference is that the original poster is a feckless waster!!!!!

Then theres....everyone on social welfare is a sponger followed by lots of hear say...that one always gets lots of thanks as well

Followed by all public servants are a bunch of wasters.

I was following a tread in the Irish economy about public servants and one of the contributories said nursing is becoming a glamor profession!!! only in Ireland would you get someone saying nursing was a glamorous profession...you would never get a German saying something like that.

The amount of resentment, ignorance, nastiness among Irish people is astounding.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

mariaalice wrote: »

For example someone says i have lost my job and im struggling to get by at the moment...in an instant you will get someone saying get rid of the broadband and sky the that reply will get multiply thanks...the inference is that the original poster is a feckless waster!!!!!

Then theres....everyone on social welfare is a sponger followed by lots of hear say...that one always gets lots of thanks as well

I was following a tread in the Irish economy about public servants and one of the contributories said nursing is becoming a glamor profession!!! only in Ireland would you get someone saying nursing was a glamorous profession...you would never get a German saying something like that.

The amount of resentment, ignorance, nastiness among Irish people is astounding.

Isn't it wonderful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

CorkMan threads depress me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was following a tread in the Irish economy about public servants and one of the contributories said nursing is becoming a glamor profession!!! only in Ireland would you get someone saying nursing was a glamorous profession...you would never get a German saying something like that
    Very true; they'd be saying it in German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Nope. I ignore the stuff that might annoy me and concentrate on the good stuff. No point in getting upset over something someone said on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

get off yer arse and get a job ya feckless waster, and getting rid of your BB and sky will save you some money in the meantime

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

only in Ireland would you get someone saying nursing was a glamorous profession...you would never get a German saying something like that.

Have you already forgotten the glory of Die Schwarzwaldklinik?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Yeah I agree with you. Like when someone starts one of those "Irish people are all begrudgers" or "why are so many Irish people nasty" threads right?

Yeah it's fukking annoying alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

gavredking wrote: »

+1 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not really - most people on boards are scumbag scroungers, Daddy's rich offspring or think they're witty internet nerd. So opinions here are nonsicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Nurses are too highly celebrated in this country. It's a fking job, which you get paid good wages for. If you don't like it then shut up and piss off. It's the lower paid and less celebrated nurses aids that do all the dirty work anyway.

/depressing reply, you were looking for?

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So opinions here are nonsicle

I just had a weird image of a paedophilic ice pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

I think we should all kick them in the face :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Caring too much about the ins and outs of threads in After Hours depresses me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I depress myself sometimes... Then I realise I am a funny fcuker and have a laugh about it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

YES. There are these, with never have anything constructive to say will derogate the issue and say "I'm alright Jack, so *** you"/ "You cushy ******* you should be so lucky/ you racketeers". Increasing number of em on boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

WindSock wrote: »
    Nurses are too highly celebrated in this country.

By whom? Any paise I've given or heard has been well earned I can assure you.
    It's a fking job, which you get paid good wages for.

Just a job? I think not. Good wages? Having worked with them for many years, they certainly are not well paid enough.
    nurses aids that do all the dirty work anyway.

Precisely, that's why they are called nurses aids.

gugleguy wrote: »
    YES. There are these, with never have anything constructive to say will derogate the issue and say "I'm alright Jack, so *** you"/ You cushy ******* you should be so lucky/ you racketeers/bigots. Increasing number of em on boards.ie

Your haul of 8 posts a year must contain some really constructive humdingers if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

Would have to agree with you there, been lucky enough to only have a few hospital encounters but each time the nursing staff have been outstanding. Particularily the midwives and trainee midwives in The Coombe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

People are sooooooo mean. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Ah that's just modern Ireland for you. Instead of doing what the French and Greeks did we whinge and moan, and not even about the people that caused all this:eek:, oh no we moan and whinge about the people stitching us back together, ****ing Irish, god I'd love to leave. The more this recession goes on and the more I see idiots blaming everyone except the people that deserve it the more I honestly think we deserve to be treated like serfs. So sick of people trying to tear each other down instead of tearing down the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

get off yer arse and get a job ya feckless waster, and getting rid of your BB and sky will save you some money in the meantime

says my boards enemy who doesn't know the rules of the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Spending too much time on After Hours can really get you down.
    Replaced are the laughs for anything that is depressing to some degree.

After Hours is suppose to be that Pub where you go to forget your troubles and have a laugh with people of your kind.

Of late I feel like I have been drinking with homeless winos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

i agree with you, and must admit i'm guilty of it myself.
    i wouldn't necessarily call it nastiness.

i think it's more CYNICISM and it's a symptom of the level of frustration & helplessness most people in this tiny screwed up little rain sodden rock are now feeling.

if you even attempt to be idealistic here, people will immediately assume you're cracking up.:o

curlzy wrote: »
    Ah that's just modern Ireland for you. Instead of doing what the French and Greeks did we whinge and moan, and not even about the people that caused all this:eek:,

What did the French do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What do they do that goes beyond their job to earn it? They look after the sick and the dying. That is their job description, that is what they do. That is what they train to do. They go into the job knowing the implications and difficulty and the salary scale. Yet they still strike twice a year.

Precisely, that's why they are called nurses aids.

And they get praised far less than nurses?

What did the French do?

I'm going to assume that's a joke, if not, google "french protests 2010" ;)

I'm going to assume that's a joke, if not, google "french protests 2010" ;)

One result - your post. That's pretty cool, there's a word for when you define something that only comes into existence the moment you say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

He's from Cork, it's a depressing place. Anyway, he appears to be a trainee tabloid journalist - just look at his thread titles. The button is looming for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What did the French do?

The same as Ireland's going to do i.e. surrender to the Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

ejmaztec wrote: »

The Germans are great, and I mean that.

ejmaztec wrote: »

Oh no, the horror of fiscal prudence coupled with civic responsibility looms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I'm enjoying his latest thread, something i can really sink my teeth into and i find it funny too,

i know its all about instant death but that thread could offer some advice to tom and jerry and maybe the unlucky coyote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Do some of the people who reply to threads just depress ya

Waiting for reply from JONJOE THE MISER in 5,4,3,2,1...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Who didnt see this coming! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What do they do that goes beyond their job to earn it?

Work extra hours (unpaid),
    work extra shifts,
    Working continually with dangerously low levels of staff which other professions or industries would never tolerate.
    Work continually beyond what we would consider a normal 40 hour week per week.
    Doing administration duties - which is not there job.
    Performing cleaning duties - which is not their job.
    I have seen countless nurses come off call from night duty and then report for a day shift in less than 24 hours - blatantly illegal I might add. Oh they never moaned about it, it just boils my blood that they put up with it.
    Assaulted and threathened while on duty and yet still turn up for work. A garda friend of mine was on sick leave for 6 months after receiving a push. It was all 'psychological' of course.
    Yet they still strike twice a year.

So now the INO are holding 2 strikes per year? You are talking about the right country here I assume? The last time the INO striked was in 2007 and it was pathetic really - a series of 1 hour stoppages. The reason for their strike you ask? Nurses were being increasingly taken away from their patients. Why? Because they were increasingly having to perform adminstration duties - which wasn't their job.

Regarding nurses aids, I have never heard nurses denegrating the role of nurses aids. I was highlighting that the very title indicates what their role is - to aid nurses.

In fact the only time I have heard a nurse complain, is when they are taken away from doing what they do best - looking after all of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

posts don't just stimulate/spread misery. some can be funny; others entertaining. i really don't think the majority of posts here make the majority over users here feel bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Oh no, the horror of fiscal prudence coupled with civic responsibility looms!

We need none of that, now that the government has bolted the stable door. They're now looking for the horse.:(

posts don't just stimulate/spread misery. some can be funny; others entertaining. i really don't think the majority of posts here make the majority over users here feel bad.

Depends, there are a few posters who cannot accept that others have a different opinion and are entitled to to have their own point of view.

• Advertisement

One result - your post. That's pretty cool, there's a word for when you define something that only comes into existence the moment you say it.

Sorry should have specified google.com, there's 270,000 results on it, maybe you spelt french wrong? And there's a name for someone who is so condecending and at the same time not that clever, but I couldn't say it coz I'm a lady don't you know.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

don't worry anyone who replies has internet too

Sorry should have specified google.com, there's 270,000 results on it, maybe you spelt french wrong? And there's a name for someone who is so condecending and at the same time not that clever, but I couldn't say it coz I'm a lady don't you know.:D

You mean without the quotes? Not sure what exactly a few protests against Roma expulsions and against measures to limit the social security deficit by pushing back the retirement age to something sensible would do for Ireland.

You mean without the quotes? Not sure what exactly a few protests against Roma expulsions and against measures to limit the social security deficit by pushing back the retirement age to something sensible would do for Ireland.

:rolleyes: Ah now you're being deliberately obtuse, I'm not going to reply to you anymore, if you get stung for being WRONG then at least admit it and don't try to change the context of the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

I agree with you Oh Pee

I rarely respond or even view most threads on boards anymore. Once you've lurked here long enough you can predict the daft twattish responses that will ensue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

maria alice your a censorship Nazi that wants to order people what to think and say. I think you should put a Swastika in your signiture.
    Hail Hitler

J K wrote: »
    maria alice your a censorship Nazi that wants to order people what to think and say. I think you should put a Swastika in your signiture.
    Hail Hitler

ouch, don't think that's warranted, its mariaalices p.o.v.

we all have one, just like i don't agree with your comment above even if it is in jest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A very important point in my thread is the word SOME in the title!

Not all Irish people are resentful or nasty there are lot of open minded insightful kindly well meant replies to threads as well..... its just there appears to be a huge amount of the other kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think the point though was that there was no need to put any nationality in there - that it's just some people in general for ya, no matter where. Badness has no national boundaries. :)

To be fair OP, the vast, vast majority of people here seem all right - I mentioned before how it was really nice to see practically every poster sympathising on the thread about that man who worked for Anglo Irish Bank and who committed suicide.
    Then, people sometimes crack jokes about sensitive topics and not everyone appreciates them - I think it should be borne in mind though that they're generally not from a cruel place and are essentially good-natured.

Some nasty peeps here though who contravene the "Don't be a dick" rule but not quite enough for reprimand, however they're really only a tiny minority. It's not always easy, but the absolute best policy in relation to them is: ignore. Or thank them - I do that quite a bit. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Dudess i normally agree with your posts but this time i have to say i dont...resentment and begrudger is a very Irish thing that you dont see as much in other cultures...the thing about stereo typing is it has to have some roots in reality or it wouldn't developer as a stereo type...every countries has a culture and a way of living and reacting that is different hence we dont have riots against the government the way they had in Grease we are more likely to moan and complain and do nothing because we are IRISH.....its suppose to have developed because we were ruled by the British for 800 years... Irish people developed two way of speaking one to their landlords and British rulers ( deferential ) and one among our selves...not sure if i agree fully with that as an explanation!

• Advertisement
Advertisement