Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 1&2

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Gonna have to playthrough this now trying to sleep my way through the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Gonna have to playthrough this now trying to sleep my way through the game!

I can't stop reading all of your post's in Zapp's voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Started Fallout 2 after reading this thread :). Especially the comments regarding the vault at the start, I thought it was dreadful and sorta just gave up after it but from reading it gets much, much better afterwards I thought id give it a proper go

Just recently started Fallout 1 (bought after reading through this thread) and it's great craic so far, took a while to get used to the controls but seem to have it down ok.

I've a question for any of ye Fallout fans out there...is there any way to "cancel" aggression during combat, basically, apologise and hope the town forgives you?

I was caught stealing from an NPC in Shady Sands and he started a fight with me...of course, Ian (who I had contracted) just shot him dead! I saved there, hoping that some way I could cancel the fight, make some sort of peace offering but they just keep attacking.

Is there any way to accomplish this (apart from restarting from an earlier save) or should I just continue along this dark part? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Started Fallout 2 after reading this thread :). Especially the comments regarding the vault at the start, I thought it was dreadful and sorta just gave up after it but from reading it gets much, much better afterwards I thought id give it a proper go

Fair play dude its a classic.

What I used to do was make a character I really liked and then save the game right after the trials & just before you leave the village so if you wanted to restart again from scratch you could make that saved game you default one.

Stick with it there is so much to do in the game, and a lot of subtle tie-ins with Fallout 3

• Advertisement

Just recently started Fallout 1 (bought after reading through this thread) and it's great craic so far, took a while to get used to the controls but seem to have it down ok.

I've a question for any of ye Fallout fans out there...is there any way to "cancel" aggression during combat, basically, apologise and hope the town forgives you?

I was caught stealing from an NPC in Shady Sands and he started a fight with me...of course, Ian (who I had contracted) just shot him dead! I saved there, hoping that some way I could cancel the fight, make some sort of peace offering but they just keep attacking.

Is there any way to accomplish this (apart from restarting from an earlier save) or should I just continue along this dark part? :)

Check out the Fallout Wiki (just google that you'll find it) someone might be able to help'

otherwise cut your losses & do the village with a flamethrower & supersledge :cool:

Check out the Fallout Wiki (just google that you'll find it) someone might be able to help'

otherwise cut your losses & do the village with a flamethrower & supersledge :cool:

Cheers, will do...it is very tempting to just continue as is :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cheers, will do...it is very tempting to just continue as is :pac:

Best way to play it I feel. If you **** up then face the consequences :)

There is no way to "cure" aggression, if someone is hostile towards, that's pretty much it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Just started a new file in this myself, my char is all charisma and no muscle or shooting skills, Ian is invalluable now, I can sneak steal and charm people, he can shoot them if neccesary :D

• Advertisement

Just started a new file in this myself, my char is all charisma and no muscle or shooting skills, Ian is invalluable now, I can sneak steal and charm people, he can shoot them if neccesary :D

Whatever you do, don't give him a sub machine gun!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Whatever you do, don't give him a sub machine gun!

Lemme guess, ammo hog? :)

Lemme guess, ammo hog? :)

He has a tendency to shoot through you rather than by you.

All that Rot Gut whiskey gave him the shooting hand of a 90 yr old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

"When you absolutely HAVE to have something to drink, and you really don't care what it is... Choose ROTGUT!"

I did so love the sponsors of the boxing matches in New Reno...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ahhh Black Isle you gave us so much joy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Isle_Studios

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Best way to play it I feel. If you **** up then face the consequences :)

It certainly sounds more interesting than simply "going by the book".

I played Fallout 3 through as a good character with high karma and did all the "good" missions, so I think I might play this one as a bit of a bastard :) Plus, it's more fun, all the diplomacy gets tiring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't just go around shooting everyone. Be a complete arse to them through the dialogue choices and other actions. There's loads of humour to be had.
    Then shoot them.

One of the most satisfying moments I had in Fallout 3 was marching straight into megaton, telling sims to take a hike, then blowing his head off and stealing his hat. Almost felt a bit of remorse when I went to loot his house and saw he had a son...almost. Then I realised later on I could slap a slave collar on him.

Being a bastard FTW!

My favourite story from Fallout 3 was my friend playing it for the first time. Walked into megaton and saw the sheriff guy and decided he wanted his gun so blew him away. Then things got out of hand akin to the fight scene in anchorman and before he knew it the whole town turned against him and he slaughtered them all. The guy just can't keep out of trouble in games you should see how bad his reputation is in Red Dead Redemption for doing similar things.

• Advertisement

Another good one for being sick and twisted is when you meet
    Harold the halfman half tree thing
    and he tells you his long sad story. You can go running errands for him and his followers.

Or take the bastard option and blaze him up and listen to him scream.

For some reason, I'm getting far more enjoyment out of picking the bastard options in Fallout 1 than I did in Fallout 3, just seems to matter more (could be just me).

Another thing that I inadvertently started was a shoot-out at Junktown. The guard at the front door insisted that I holster my firearm. I accidently clicked on the doorway and he started to fight.

Of course, as ever, Ian started shooting at him so I had no choice but to continue. Killed the guard, got his armour and a magnum, so worked out well. To add to the satisfaction, the guards inside, for some reason, didn't know about it and let me on.

Only thing that led to my downfall was that I was caught sneaking, which kicked off another firefight (this time, I didn't win!)...good craic though, great to try all the possibilities :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Should be getting the Game next week, Any advice? Which would you choose, Bstard of gud guy first?

good guy, especially for first playthrough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Good initially. The fights are usually more dangerous than Fallout 3. Death will happen a lot if you go round being a dick, at least without being clever about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I remember back in 2001 my friend gave me fallout 2, I was hooked,

Second play through found all the components for the car and came across the TARDIS and the bridge keeper of death and the Star Trek shuttle.

The rarest random encounter was the talking stone head of your ancestor.

I'm the chosen one
    no your not
    i am
    not
    am
    not
    am
    not
    *several hours later*
    fine you are the chosen one take this gift
    *you get a rock*

Hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

So I completed the first 'part' of the game (the starting vault, which I hated and thus didn't play more beforehand) but now really starting to enjoy it! Made my character into a charismatic, gun toting womaniser :D

I inititally found it tough since my only real combat skills were Unarmed (with average strength) and Small Arms but after pick pocketing a certain few in the town of Klamath I now have Leather Armor and a Handgun :)

Advertisement