Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever been attacked by a large group of teenagers in Enniscorthy?

Options
  • 01-10-2010 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

I'm not from Enniscorthy , I'm from rural Co Wexford but I used to venture down there on the odd Friday or Saturday night up until about two or three years ago. I realise the town has great history and it does have it's charm. But by Jesus does it have it's scumbags.

About 2 years ago myself and four other fellas went out in the town on a Sat night. We left Benedicts nightclub with myself in front due to a ferocious yen for a Chinese , the rest of the crew were flagging behind. Just as I stepped on to that cobble street hill at the antique tavern a full bottle of miller comes flying past my bros head and smashes into the wall. I turn around and I kid you not there were 15-16 rabid looking teenagers running towards us en masse. I couldn't f**kin believe it , now myself and at least two of the other fellas had handled ourselves well in a fair fight before but we had to run in this case. So we're running up this hill all together at this stage and I trip , boom I'm on the floor and although I'm not getting punched hard , I'm getting punched a lot. There were two girls on my back and one of them managed to pull a clump of my hair out by the f**kin roots. Eventually I managed to grab one of the ****ers by the leg and pull myself up. At this stage my bro and the other fellas had holed themselves up in a Chinese so my bro grabs me from the mob and drags me in.

We then locked the door of the Chinese for protection because the horrible little c**nts were throwing bins at the window to try and get in at us. I turn to the other fellas and ask 'What the **** is going on?' , they were as puzzled as I was. There was no provocation or punches thrown before this. These teenagers were seriously vicious , they were mad for violence. One of them actually had foam around his mouth so I'd say he was pilling. Eventually the Gardai arrive and lo and behold some of the mob actually sat behind them on a window ledge. The Garda acted as if he'd seen it all before.

Subsequently we were passing through the town about two weeks after all of this and we stop at a petrol station. I walk towards the door and lo and behold there's one of the chav headed d**kheads sitting in the coal depot in front of the shop. I looked straight at him and he recognised me and being the big man that he was he couldn't keep eye contact , why? becuase he was on his own and these monkeys are only good in a pack.

Now I'm not trying to denigrate the whole town and I know there's bound to be decent people there I'm just wondering if anybody has had any similar experiences. I have heard that it used to happen a fair bit for a while in the town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Johnny,

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.

Unfortunatley this sort of thing is happening in just about every town and city in the country and isn't unique to Enniscorthy.

It's anti-social behaviour of the worst form fuelled by idle brains distorted by drink, drugs and boredom.

You'll find tv shows documenting this sort of trouble on every other week these days. It's a pretty disgusting thing to see.

The law needs to come down hard on these type of offenders but for some reason I suspect it doesn't. The law seems quite tolerant in this country to the lowest of the low (and the highest of the high).

The fact is that this is the society we live in... shameful really.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Just a short story to add, I won't go into too much detail:

A number of months ago a chap was attacked by a bunch of young men (undesirables - fairly well known to the law) who were wielding sticks, scythes and other similar weapons.

The Gardai were called and appeared at the scene. The undesirables were 'run' and the chap who was attacked was fined for having no car tax.

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

The impression I got from the Gardai was that they had to take the detals of the incident to put them on file. They were basically going through the motions. The yobs knew full well they were untouchable to the extent that they were mocking us behind the Garda's back. Maybe the Gardai's hands are tied by legal red tape , I could understand their apathy a bit better then. It's kind of denigrating being overpowered by a bunch of teenagers , granted there was a lot of them. If I had of broke one of their noses then I prob would have had the bleeding heart mother up against me in court. 'My Deccy is a good boy really , he's just a little wayward at the moment , that thug was out of line to hit him'. I just avoid the place like the plague now , same goes for Carlow and most towns down the country these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Used to be a regular occurance around Dundalk but now most towns seem to be like that. Cavan town is one of the worst (or so I heard) as they have taken to stabbing passerbys with knives and bottles. I think I remember the RIRA getting involved but actually doing nothing to the scumbags and therefore making them worse

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

When was this? Around the time of the head shops? Been started on a few times but never by a massive group and I go out nearly every weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

It'd not new. When I was a teenager (25-odd years ago now) there was always a risk of getting a kicking, but it's got worse. I was home maybe eight years ago and my brother and a mate and I were walking up Slaney Street (coincidentally) when some young bollix started having a pop at my brother. The bro told him to feck off and the next minute there was a dozen or so little hoors milling around throwing punches. In the heel of the hunt, they hospitalised both my mate and brother and I wasn't too good on it myself. Got the cops involved and all they did was talk to some people and tell me there was "no proof". Useless cnats. All the proof they needed was in the ambulance heading for Wexford. I ended up laying a complaint against the ringleader of the mob, but my mate's brother gave him an even bigger headache (mind you, less said of that the better.)

I ended up laying a complaint about the cops too, but was fobbed off until I was heading back down here and it seemed pointless to continue. Idle ****ehawks, the Enniscorthy Gardai, I can't find as good word to say about them.

I've been out and about in places like Belfast, London, New York, Chicago, Sydney, Christchurch, Hong Kong, Beijing but I've always felt safer than I ever did in Enniscorthy.

Advertisement