Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe Houses in The Ardara/Portnoo/Rosbeg region?

Options
  • 01-10-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

was just wondering was there any "safehouses" in this area during and after the war of independence?

so far i have heard stories of:-

1. A McGrath household in Tullymore or Tullybeg(Outside Ardara on the road to Maas) which was used to store weapons and ammunintation. Also his lands were used for training voulenteers.

2. The shooting of a RIC or a Black and Tan officer in Eden House, Rosbeg. Apparently he was shot in the face by a local resident (Possibly named Boyle) and his moustache was stuck to the stairs. Gun shot marks are still clearly visable on the stairs where he was shot (so my uncle who striped the numerous layers of paint of them said)

If anyone has any stories from this area I would love to hear them. Espically about the 2 stories mentioned above.

Also any information regarding the Order of Ancient Hibernians in the Kilclooney area...

Advertisement