Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Arts Buckles Under Pressure, Removes Playable Taliban from Medal of Honor

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I initially liked the idea that it was the Taliban by name, it was a progressive decision to have a real world faction as opposed to "anonymous middle eastern shouty army guy". Its not like anyone playing as the Taliban would suddenly go all anti american and move to Afghanistan. Its a video for christs sake.

Reminds me of all the uproar from hysterical, uninformed mothers during the MW2 "No Russian" controversy last year. Mammy buys 18 rated game for child, then finds out theres violence in it, takes no accountability for her own actions and rings good oul Joe to blame everyone else. The people complaining about the MoH situation would have probably never played or even seen the game to begin with before all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Looks like they still haven't won back the support of the military.

Source.
    Despite Electronic Arts' decision to remove the playable Taliban in upcoming shooter Medal of Honor, the Army and Air Force base stores around the world will still not sell the game.

The Army & Air Force Exchange Service's position concerning stocking the newest Medal of Honor video game remains unchanged as its facilities have no plans to carry the title, Judd Anstey, Army & Air Force Exchange Service Public Affairs spokesman told Kotaku today.

"Out of respect to those touched by the ongoing, real-life events presented as a game, Exchanges will not be carrying this product," the Army & Air Force Exchange Service's Commander Maj. Gen. Bruce Casella told Kotaku. "While we regret any inconvenience this may cause, our position is consistent with the direction stated a month ago. I expect the military families who are authorized to shop the Exchange are aware, and understanding, of the decision not to carry this particular offering."

The Army & Air Force Exchange Service is a joint military activity providing quality merchandise and services to approximately 12.3 million active duty, guard and reserve members, military retirees and their families.

Maj. Gen Casella decided to not stock the game on base stores in September after discovering that Medal of Honor's online gameplay allowed gamers to control Taliban fighters.

Last week Electronic Arts said they were changing the name of the Taliban to Opfor out of respect for the families of fallen soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

thats using your head, deciding not to sell whats going to be one of the best selling FPS games of this year.

many noses cut off in spite..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

BS

Imagine Counter strike without the terrorists, instead, politically correct gender and race neutral antagonists, some happy smiling white person in cordoroys and a checked shirt maybe.

Every member of every team would look like this:
    n243006402673_7530.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I'm sure there'll be a taliban mod out pretty quickly...

I heard the beta was sh1t compared to BF BC2?

no vehicles etc?

media circus and rabble aside, what is the gameplay and replability like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6158/persuasive_games_free_speech_is_.php
    tl;dr
    EA are pussies.
    Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft are pussies.
    PC gaming will remain underground forever.
    GAMES ARE FOR KIDS.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Just a point of information on this - a couple of people are talking about mods etc for the game. The Producer told me there are no plans to release dev tools or modding kits for this game. Nor are there plans to release the server for it - you'll need to play on official or rented servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Dav wrote: »
    Just a point of information on this - a couple of people are talking about mods etc for the game. The Producer told me there are no plans to release dev tools or modding kits for this game. Nor are there plans to release the server for it - you'll need to play on official or rented servers.
    I'm quite sure this is true. Remember that MoH MP is being developed by DICE using the Frostbite engine so the same logic will apply as it did with Bad Company 2.

Here's what Mikael Kalms, a Graphics Programmer at DICE had to say on the matter...

So how about mod tools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

It's definitely true, Patrick Liu (who I spoke with) is the head of the project for Dice.

I will confess I was disappointed when I heard, but having read through that link gizmo's added, I can understand why. I love reading that sort of "this is the nuts and bolts of our game" stuff and it reminds me that I was probably never a good enough software engineer to conceive a system like that :)

Advertisement