Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever feel nauseous playing a game?

Options
  • 01-10-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

I was looking through my old collection of games and i came across a game that i couldnt play. The reason being was every time i put it on i would feel nauseous within 10 minutes of playing it. Its some time ago now and the game was hidden and dangerous for the ps1. Just wondering has anyone experienced something like this with certain games. It was the only game that caused this to happen, maybe my body was telling me that the game was pure sh*t and not to play it :D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cant say I ever have.
    Well unless I spin around a lot 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I was at a lan party at a friends and there were loads there. Anyway, a few of us had girlfriends there so we gave them a bash at it. needless to say they were awful but my gf got very motion sick after playing CoD for a few minutes.

noob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I don't think I've been that bad, but Mirror's Edge has had me feeling slightly unwell before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't get motion sickness with the exception of falling off something high in WoW makes my tummy lurch. It's odd,no other game does it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gameboy2.gif

Eye muscle twitching. That, sounds familiar...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Back when Goldeneye was released, i could make a friend of mine feel sick by pointing the camera up as high as you could, and spinning around in circles. Not sure what it was, but it had a weird effect on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Getting blood shot eyes is about the extent i get from playing games

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Kiith wrote: »
    Back when Goldeneye was released, i could make a friend of mine feel sick by pointing the camera up as high as you could, and spinning around in circles. Not sure what it was, but it had a weird effect on him.

I couldn't play this game either as I would feel sick after about 5 minutes of playing it.

Larianne wrote: »
    I couldn't play this game either as I would feel sick after about 5 minutes of playing it.
    How do you feel about Shattered Horizon? 8)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Overheal wrote: »

Most relaxing game ever...until you get shot in the head from all over the damn place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i sometimes start to feel sick after a good few hours playing and have to stop for a while
    or if i am sick i can't look at a computer screen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

A friend of mine nearly puked while playing Mirrors Edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Battlefield Bad company 2 seems to be doing it to me. I havent a clue why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Overheal wrote: »

Kept meaning to give that a go when it came out, is their still much of a player base?

Theres a small base. The game doesnt have a whole lot of depth, sadly. Coming from futuremark, it's really just a DX10 gaming benchmark tool. I wouldn't rate it highly as say, TF2.... Erm, which now that i go over to steam to check the price on both titles, apparently TF2 is $10 this weekend, for a new content patch. woo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Only time I've ever felt not right playing games is when suffering from "Lan Death"

Otherwise, no issues....a few liters of coke usually keeps things working :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Worst I've ever felt playing a game was after a 6hr session of playing Prey on the PC years back. Felt ok while playing it, but when I turned it off and stood up it felt like I'd been spun around a few hundred times then asked to walk in a straight line. Nearly puked right there.

Another weird one was HL2. Didn't feel nauseous at all when I played it first years ago on my 19" 4:3 ratio screen, but when I revisited it again on my 24" 16:10 ratio screen I started to feel really motion sick during the boat section when looking left and right while moving forward.

I looked it up and supposedly it's something to do with how HL2 handles the FOV for widescreen monitors. Loads of people have suffered from it. I corrected the FOV settings and I was fine afterwards.

Never happens on console games though. I guess the difference is how close I am to the screen. For PC games I'm rarely more than a foot away from the screen. In console games I'm never really closer than 4ft away.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Can't remember the name of the game but there was some Formula 1 racing game on the N64. After a short while of playing it I would start feeling nauseous.

Only game that made me like that.

After one late night session of Total Annihilation I was tracking a enemy aircraft over a totally black background and I noticed I was seeing a long stream of ghosts planes behind it.

Later as I went to bed I noticed my eyes where completely bloodshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Guitar Hero , gives me slight tunnel vision and motion sickness after about 20 minutes due to focusing on the same spot and the scrolling boards coming at you. I can't play GH when drunk or I'll be sick.
    After I look away from the screen everything in the room goes distorted and wobbly.

However, the same effects do not happen when I play RockBand, which is basically the same premise...go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I don't get motion sickness with the exception of falling off something high in WoW makes my tummy lurch. It's odd,no other game does it to me.

Happens to me in nearly every game if I fall or jump off something high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

A friend of mine nearly puked while playing Mirrors Edge.

I get a Vertigo thrill when playing parts of Mirror's Edge, especially standing near the edge of a skyscraper looking down, then again, I also get it from watching this which I guess most people would too..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I remember renting out Parappa The Rapper on PS1 and winding up sick as a dog for a few days. A couple of weeks later I (in-excusably) rented it again, and the same thing happened. Now, I know this was a sickeningly crap game, but I mean I was actually proper sick kinda sick. I never played it again after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Guitar Hero... After I look away from the screen everything in the room goes distorted and wobbly.

Exactly this happens to me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Portal :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Only once... Classes had ended for summer break, and I celebrated by playing Dragon Age Origins almost non-stop, starting with a new noble warrior Grey Warden, and by the time I got to the Denerim Elven Alienage, I felt I had the plague and was ready to bed down in the Tevinter hospice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I have never gotten nauseous with games yet but I'd say that certain factors such as monitor size, aspect ratios, distance from the screen, the game, the extent to which you are surrounded and how much you've placed yourself in the game could influence these feelings.
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    Worst I've ever felt playing a game was after a 6hr session of playing Prey on the PC years back. ....

I haven't played this myself but a similar thread on another forum a few years back, this was the top game for people feeling nauseous.
    Nehaxak wrote: »
    I get a Vertigo thrill...

I've gotten this once or twice but in theme parks when watching fast moving surround videos. I'd say I'd get it would work with games too but I'd need eyefinity and big screens to trigger it. You need to really immerse yourself rather than just watch it.
    Healium wrote: »
    Portal :o
    Although I was fine portal, looking at the portal 2 videos, the increased pace could easily have these effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JackBrgs

I'm not a gamer but it happens to me any time I try to play racing games. When I was younger, I felt the same after a few minutes watching people play Zelda on the Nintendo 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

starting with a new noble warrior Grey Warden, and by the time I got to the Denerim Elven Alienage, I felt I had the plague and was ready to bed down in the Tevinter hospice.

...... my cat's breath smells like catfood...

i get a bit queasy playing minecraft in full screen, need to play it windowed for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Kersmash wrote: »
    I was at a lan party at a friends and there were loads there. Anyway, a few of us had girlfriends there so we gave them a bash at it. needless to say they were awful but my gf got very motion sick after playing CoD for a few minutes.

noob.

Lol +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Kept getting a pounding headache with Gears of War after about ten minutes. Never went back to it because of that.

Advertisement