Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever feel nauseous playing a game?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Bioshock has this problem due to the FOV. They released a patch to fix it.

I definitely noticed it - playing the game me a headache, until the FOV was fixed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I knew a guy who got motion sick playing any fps.He tried taking sea sickness pills for a lan once but it didnt work too well(probably due to the amount of beers had!).Eventually he found his niche playing as a sniper(on any FPS's that had a sniper class) and he ended up racking up the kills ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

All the CoD games do this to me to a greater or lesser extent.

CoD 3 I would have to go lie down after watching for 15-30 minutes.

I think it's the bobbing of the screen when you walk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Quite a lot of people used to get motion sickness with Source engine based games a few years back but I don't hear of many complaining about those issues anymore . . . Valve could have changed something in the engine I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Nehaxak wrote: »
    I get a Vertigo thrill when playing parts of Mirror's Edge, especially standing near the edge of a skyscraper looking down, then again, I also get it from watching this which I guess most people would too..

I get a rush in my stomach if I fall from high places in game, it's great !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

tonydude wrote: »
    Its some time ago now and the game was hidden and dangerous for the ps1.

I felt Nauseous after playing that game...and it was nothing to do with motion sickness. H&D on the PSX was truly the most horrific conversion I've ever seen. Guns that took up half the screen, puddles that killed you, enemies that spawned out of mid air right in front of your eyes and could hit you from miles into the dreadful fog (you would die, and the camera that zooms in on the enemy that delivered the lethal shot would often travel on an epic journey to the other side of the map), a collection of about 10 sound samples in the entire game.....this is dredging up a lot of buried feelings within me.

I have never been as offended by a game as much as I have H&D on the PSX.

And this from a guy who actually owned Rise of the Robots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've never felt anything other than normal when playing video games, though, there is one thing that shocked me by giving me that rush in my stomach - jumping down the elevator as the Infected in the hospital in Left4Dead in the No Mercy campaign, it makes me feeling like I'm actually falling in reality! I've played plenty of other games that involve leaping great distances, lengths, and drops, though none of them give me that feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

only game that ever made me feel remotely nauseous was Postal; streets covered in blood, piss and vomit with people nearby continuing to vomit as I ran around with a large shotgun up the arse of a cat, using it as a silencer until it inevitably exploded.

what an odd game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Master of Orion 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

my friend once said to me it wasnt a good idea to bring capcom vs snk 2 to play one night. a few super combo finishes later and he was doing a Shakin' Stevens impression :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

I have never been as offended by a game as much as I have H&D on the PSX.

And this from a guy who actually owned Rise of the Robots.

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Mirrors edge. Could hardly play it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

only game that ever made me feel remotely nauseous was Postal; streets covered in blood, piss and vomit with people nearby continuing to vomit as I ran around with a large shotgun up the arse of a cat, using it as a silencer until it inevitably exploded.

what an odd game.

Very strange game alright, not to mention the ability to pull your zipper down and take a piss on absolute strangers for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It wasn't just for no reason. At least in postal 2. You could put out fires with it and even put out yourself if you went on fire... used in the right way.

Plus if you finished the week, you could piss fire. I'm not sure what you do then if you set yourself alight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

After the latest patch a couple days ago in world of warcraft, apparently some people (a fair few it seems) are having nausea issues now when playing...

Thread here on the US forums with 7 pages about it (mostly whine but hey...) and was a few talking about it in /trade chat last night too. No problems here myself with it at all so can only think it's something to do with their FPS being too low/choppy or something like that...

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27191402090&sid=1&pageNo=1

Or indeed as someone on that thread mentioned, maybe Blizzard changed the default field of view which doesn't agree with some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

So I've played Mirrors Edge with no problems but the FOV in Half-Life 2 was screwing me up. Changed it in the settings from 70 to 90 degrees and it worked so much so that I finished it in one sitting...riveting game!

Advertisement