Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What router should i get?

• 01-10-2010 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭

Basically, i recently moved into student accomodation, my 2 flatmates and i paid 70 euro each for broadband for the year and we were each given an ethernet port in our bedrooms, is it possible to connect a router to one of those ports so that we can have wifi in the flat? if so what type would it be? im guessing a cable one?
    it would be nice if i could buy it today so a brick and mortar shop in cork city would be handy and a cheap one would also be nice

The perfect router would have support for
    Wireless N and b/g
    DD-WRT firmware
    and thats about it really

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Why would it possibly be a cable modem? You say you have ethernet ports, so you would get a normal ethernet router. Who is your ISP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

A Buffalo WHR-HP-G00N will do what you want but I don't know if you can get it in any particular shop. You'll probably pay double anyway for the equivalent in a shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

The router thats in the appartment complex is a Prestige 660RU-T1 with imagine :( as the isp, we have no access to it, its in a locked cupboard somewhere

and i was talking about a cable router such as:

Home_Network_CE_09B.ccom

not a cable modem

Oh and the reason i was looking at getting it from a shop is because id have to get it delivered to the appartment complex (not going home for some time) and there is no reception here and i highly doubt itll fit in the post box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

teddy b123 wrote: »
    Oh and the reason i was looking at getting it from a shop is because id have to get it delivered to the appartment complex (not going home for some time) and there is no reception here and i highly doubt itll fit in the post box

Well then you'll have to go to the shop(s), note the make/model numbers of the routers that you like and then check them all here to see if they support DD-WRT.

Advertisement