Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made dog toys

Options
  • 01-10-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Having been through most of whats available commercially and finding with the exception of soft toys and squeeky toys my dog has no interest in any of it :rolleyes: I thought I'd post up a little list of what I've found does entertain her (for brief periods :P)

- Old rags with knots tied in them (no interest in rope toys!)

- An empty coke bottle with some fine gravel in it and squeezed in the middle to make it easier to carry around

- A plastic dog bowl which I gave up putting water in because she just tipped it out all over the floor and carried the bowl around

- The little corners I cut off the vet bed to make it fit into her plastic bed.

- An old gardening glove and and old pair of fleece gloves that smell of horses

- The cardboard tubes from the inside of toilet rolls and the cardboard boxes the kids toys come in.

- A little furry mouse (it's a cat toy)
    Any other suggestions much appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Doing agility with Brook I needed something that was a) visible and b) something to help stretch her out and warm up before doing any jumping, most people use a tug toy but Brook was never that interested in them, however she is ball crazy so her trainer suggested putting her tennis ball in a sock. This worked brilliantly, an old tennis ball and an old sock, cheap as chips but worked better than any toy I ever bought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

My pooch spends hours playing with a plastic flowerpot ... Funny she only likes brown ones ... Never black!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

my two eat tru everything like socks t towels jocks thongs if thats how u spell thongs ,but they only last about 5 mins the only thing thas buddy and junior proof is a kong .tennis ball would be gone and swallowed in 2 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

My pup loves running around with his water bowl. Also loves shoes and socks.

Tea towel from the freezer is nice for teething.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Boxes of any size, he especially loves when you have a large one you can "trap" him in so he has to burst his way out then return to take revenge.

Or the heavy ones you'd get in Aldi with shopping, he loves trying to carry that around, he's to try hold it high in the air as it's so long and he bashes into everyone trying to get a chase, which usually only lasts a few seconds because as soon as he tries to run, he lowers his head, catching the box on the ground and falling over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My daughter likes to block the doorway with the dogs bed, then hide somewhere and call the dogs, its so funny watching them tear into the room, Ollie loves to pounce on the bed and subdue it while Tiffi runs around looking for my girl.

They also both love cat toys of any description, even a shoe lace dangled for a cat will attract the dogs.

When I chuck all the bedding down the stairs to be washed, Ollie likes to jump on it all and try to slide downstairs.

Hula hoop is their favourite at the moment, but it needs to be held at various heights for them to leap through(or run under in Tiffi's case 'cos she's so short). Pretty much anything they can pick up will become a toy at some stage, shells, kids toys, an orange and once the TV remote(we had a chat about that one).

Every sock in out house has been killed stone dead by Tiffi, she never damages them, just wrestles and fights them until they give in:p

Cardboard boxes of any sort don't last in our house, between the dogs and cats they're in bits pretty quick, I did once catch the dog sitting on a large shoe box(the type with the lid attached), only to hear one of the cats bawling from inside:eek:

Advertisement