Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism in Waterford?

• 01-10-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭

In that tiny lane between Parnell Street and the Apple Market - John's Lane? there is a large sign in a window saying 'No Mexicans'. Its been there a few days. Now I see another sign in a window across the street which reads 'Mexicans welcome here'. The first sign seems to be distinctly racist, but possibly someone thinks it is a joke. Does anyone know what its about?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I never noticed sounds kinda suss,

If the Mexicans welcome here sign is a joke at the expense of the first sign I must say it's inspired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Why, has their been a sudden influx of Mexicans or something?

(I wish there were, Mexican food would make a nice addition to my traditional Irish eating habits of kebabs on Saturday night and ribs and cabbage on a Sunday afternoon. I could fit the Mexican food in on a Friday.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Not them bloody Mexicans again!!

Reminds me of a south park episode :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The second sign was certainly a response to the first one, whether the first one was intended as a joke I don't know. It was a very feeble joke if that is what it was. If it had been a sign in London saying No Irish there would (rightly) have been serious offence taken.

If someone on here knows who has put it in the window please suggest that they take it down, if it is still there on Monday I will make a complaint about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

looksee wrote: »
    I will make a complaint about it.

To who?

• Advertisement

Jaysus you need to lighten up,its only a joke id say,maybe they are Liverpool supporters and the house across are Man Utd fans.

Who you going to complain to anyway? im sure the guards have better things to be doing.

Well thats a very interesting response to racist remarks. Why should I lighten up, if the sign said 'no blacks', 'no Chinese' would that be just as funny? Oh yes of course, Mehicans are funny - 'you have taken our weemin and our cheeldren' they are not people, just cartoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Your a mexican arent you looksee? :)

Well i take offence to the 'Mexicans welcome here' sign,it is racist towards me as im Irish and if they don't change it to 'All nationalities welcome here' im complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I would not worry too much about it as it sounds like a bit of a piss take

• Advertisement

No I am English, and I know that means I do not have any right to an opinion on matters social or political - I have been told it often enough in the past forty years - but I can still take offense on behalf of other individuals who are insulted like that.

Presumably all those 'no dogs, no Irish' signs that are so often brought into discussions were also jokes, right?

Presumably all those 'no dogs, no Irish' signs that are so often brought into discussions were also jokes, right?

No they weren't,but this is.

People have more important things to be worrying about these days other than no Mexican signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Probably something to do with Manchester United, neighbors bantering over football

Like come Champions League final time if these teams are playing you'd see flags in many windows in Waterford.
    So maybe something similar here?

Relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I wouldnt be getting all upset about it, you dont know the in's and out's of those signs. More than likely its just a little bit of banter! If you're really upset, call into the house and enquire about it ;)

Probably something to do with Manchester United, neighbors bantering over football

I don't see the connection between Mexico and soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

dayshah wrote: »
    I don't see the connection between Mexico and soccer.

Hernandez who scored uniteds winner on wednesday is Mexican

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ Ya and he's not welcome down the apple Market :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Is there even any Mexican's in Waterford? I dont think I've ever seen any?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I think he was been sarcastic :)
    dazftw wrote: »

I'm sure the González's down the knock are from Mexico ;)

In fairness you wouldn't know if you saw them. I know a Mexican and keep forgetting that she isn't Spanish.

As a general rule though, if they are wearing a sombrero they are NOT Mexicans but a drunken hen night.

• Advertisement

Ooooh, riiiight. Its football! Ah well, that makes it all right so. Everybody knows about football, and who's playing and what's funny. So nobody is going to think its racist. Thats great so. I'll just go away and get over myself.
    :rolleyes:

^ Nobody said it was football,we are just assuming it could be,if it bothers you that much im going down tomorrow to have a look myself,and i'll knock at the door and find out what all the fuss is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah a supervisor in the canteen where I work is Mexican. He's some legend. Came on a night out with us and was buying tequila all over the place. He generally greets me with "Well boy" and on a Friday night tends to ask "Out for a few scoops tonight?".

Anyways this seems like a joke and I wouldn't worry about it.

Their is a great episode of south park on now about minorities :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Ooooh, riiiight. Its football! Ah well, that makes it all right so. Everybody knows about football, and who's playing and what's funny. So nobody is going to think its racist. Thats great so. I'll just go away and get over myself.
    :rolleyes:

You are jumping to conclusions. Why don't you ask the occupants of said house what the story is.

What conclusion am I jumping to. And why does it matter 'what the story is'?

Ah now i know why,maybe a Mexican stole the house owners shoes and flung them up on the wire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

If its the same house that I Think it is , Its a student/FAS house and used to have a Tipperary flag up in the window a year or two back ,

Fcuking students :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

What conclusion am I jumping to. And why does it matter 'what the story is'?

You are concluding that the sign has been placed there because of racist motives.

Why does it matter what the story is? If on the off chance that you are wrongly accusing people of being racists then knowing what the story is would be quite important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I dunno if anyone heard of this, but i heard some around Waterford refer to kk ppl as "Mexcians" cos they cross the border to find work.

But then again it could mean something completely different?

:confused:

Advertisement