Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism in Waterford?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Shams wrote: »
    I dunno if anyone heard of this, but i heard some around Waterford refer to kk ppl as "Mexcians" cos they cross the border to find work.

But then again it could mean something completely different?

:confused:

Yeah that's true actually. Now that you say it I've heard that a bit recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I'm sure that was Wexicans they were referring to. Cheeky feckers, coming down and stealing all the KK jobs :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

looksee wrote: »
    Well thats a very interesting response to racist remarks. Why should I lighten up, if the sign said 'no blacks', 'no Chinese' would that be just as funny? Oh yes of course, Mehicans are funny - 'you have taken our weemin and our cheeldren' they are not people, just cartoons.

sounds like you need to chill the f*** out boy, its obvious its some lads having a laugh. You're one step away from becoming Helen Lovejoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Racism in Waterford? Never!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I'm Mexican-Irish and i don't take offense to it. It's obviously a piss take or something as i think i can count on one hand how many Mexicans i've ever met in Ireland. Mexican immigration wouldn't exactly be an issue for an Irish person.

• Advertisement

No I am English, and I know that means I do not have any right to an opinion on matters social or political - I have been told it often enough in the past forty years

I feel your pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think El Horseboxo(great name btw) has made the important point.

No English/Polish/Blacks would be easily seen as racist but given the context there are little or no Mexican people in the city I would imagine it's something as easy as they have a Mexican mate lives near or something so it's surely a joke between friends.

Having said that, it's a little dodgy and I guess that if a tourist or even a Mexican chap saw it there could be issues but I certainly wouldn't crusade against it OP. Enough Racist morans in the world to really stand up against then a few young lads that are more then likely having a laugh with someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

dazftw wrote: »
    Is there even any Mexican's in Waterford? I dont think I've ever seen any?

There sure are boy...check this gringo out!

john_logo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

No I am English, and I know that means I do not have any right to an opinion on matters social or political - I have been told it often enough in the past forty years - but I can still take offense on behalf of other individuals who are insulted like that.

Presumably all those 'no dogs, no Irish' signs that are so often brought into discussions were also jokes, right?

I too saw the signs you refer to whilst traversing the aforementioned lane last Friday & thought them quite humourous. Maybe you lack a sense of humour my friend. That or you are very boring.

As for you not having the right to vent your opinions on any socio-political matters here in Eire over the past four decades may I remind you that the British Empire had more than enough time (800yrs I believe) for its subjects to tell us how it is & how to conduct ourselves.;) If you want to play the race card then explain how or why the British establishment treated its so called colonised subjects so well :rolleyes:. I refer to ourselves, the Oirish, good ol' Paddy; the sub continent of India; the aboriginies in Oz; most of Africa... I could go on & on.

As for you not having the right to vent your opinions on any socio-political matters here in Eire over the past four decades may I remind you that the British Empire had more than enough time (800yrs I believe) for its subjects to tell us how it is & how to conduct ourselves.;) If you want to play the race card then explain how or why the British establishment treated its so called colonised subjects so well :rolleyes:. I refer to ourselves, the Oirish, good ol' Paddy; the sub continent of India; the aboriginies in Oz; most of Africa... I could go on & on.

You see looksee? I told you they all hate us.

• Advertisement

You see looksee? I told you they all hate us.

Come on Paranoid Pete no one hates you. Chill out, its just a little banter.
    Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me! ;)

Come on Paranoid Pete no one hates you. Chill out, its just a little banter.
    Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me! ;)

Now don't try and take it back. You've said it now. You're the reason I cry at night. Curled up in my room with nothing to comfort me but my little union jack duck that I bought from TK Maxx before it closed. I bought it because he looked lonely. Lonely and sad, bullied by all the little Irish ducks in TK Maxx. All he wanted was to be loved.

Good thing we don't still run the pre 2007 charter of anyone posting in the fourm found to be English will be Banned without explanation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

I once worked in a very large company in Waterford where
    as you can imagine there was a fair amount of slagging etc.
    Some one at some time wrote 'Jew Boys' in reference to Spurs F.C.
    on some company property. We had some visitors to the company
    & one happened to be Jewish & didn't understandably like what he saw!
    He didn't understand that there was no racist undertones but he was
    offended. Needless to sat the **** hit the fan!

What would happen if there was a Mexican walking through the town?
    In that company we had many a race & creed coming through it!
    So personally speaking I think that sign should be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I too saw the signs you refer to whilst traversing the aforementioned lane last Friday & thought them quite humourous. Maybe you lack a sense of humour my friend. That or you are very boring.

*Finds wall, bangs head against*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

These kind of debates makes me lose faith in boards. I'd expect this kind of tripe to rear its head in After hours, which is precisely why I avoid that forum like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

In that tiny lane between Parnell Street and the Apple Market - John's Lane? there is a large sign in a window saying 'No Mexicans'. Its been there a few days. Now I see another sign in a window across the street which reads 'Mexicans welcome here'. The first sign seems to be distinctly racist, but possibly someone thinks it is a joke. Does anyone know what its about?

Is the premises with the "No Mexicans" sign a private house or a business?
    Either way, sounds like 2 crowds of mates pulling the piss....but that the point has nothing to do with actual Mexicans.

Time to end the racism argument. New posters have appeared in the offending houses. Animal protestors ahoy!

House A's Poster : BADGER LOST - REWARD GIVEN!

House B's Poster : BADGER FOUND.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Great stuff im glad they found their badger :)

Ha ha,

That's Quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They also have a sign up saying 'No custerd aloud'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ms MEL

They also have a sign up saying 'No custerd aloud'.

With the second house welcoming custard! Haha! Theres a half naked body painted on one window-no doubt sumone will find that offensive too!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Ms MEL wrote: »
    With the second house welcoming custard! Haha! Theres a half naked body painted on one window-no doubt sumone will find that offensive too!!!!!

I certainly wouldn't. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't. ;)

nudebriancowentoilet.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

Look everyone needs to chill!! I Happen to live in that lane and its just pure banter between the 2 crowds that live there! Oh and all of you people who happened to see these posters: If you look up you see the naked body...look up again and look at the very top window!! class stuff lads! :D Oh and by the way stay out of my lane!!!:D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

There are some right fools who post on forums.

Any type of racist comment is unacceptable. period!

I knew it was a sygn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shy O Brien

I think it wud help to let pple know that one of the people in those houses is nicknamed mexican and is Irish.

Dunzo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ironballsmcgee

Gadgie wrote: »
    nudebriancowentoilet.jpg
    oh god...i got a little bit sick in my mouth, but i swallowed it...i'm ok now.

Advertisement