Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planet X....how can the offer this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

they just sell loads ... economy of scale I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Buying in bulk, and not using the full groupset -the brakes, and crankset aren't SRAM at all.

The finishing kit is also all Planet-X -which is cheap carbon purchased in bulk from China -nothing wrong with it, but that's how it can be cheap

... It's not cheap if I can't afford it ...

... It's not cheap if I can't afford it ...

Yes it is, you're just poor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

not using the full groupset -the brakes, and crankset aren't SRAM at all. The finishing kit is also all Planet-X -which is cheap carbon purchased in bulk from China -nothing wrong with it, but that's how it can be cheap

^^ This.

It's a weird build. I'd rather have Force than a mashed-up Red group, but I don't think they offer that.

The Planet-X components are fine and all but Red is all about pointless optimisation so that sort of pragmatism looks out of place.

Still would be happy to own one though.

• Advertisement

Yes it is, you're just poor...
    Thanks for reminding me ... most good cyclists are poor anyway ... i am just following the trend.

Thanks for reminding me ... most good cyclists are poor anyway ... i am just following the trend.

There's nothing wrong with being poor m'dear, most of us are these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Planet X finishing kit (stems, seatposts, bars, etc.) is very high quality, IMO. I'd take it over a lot of established brands any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭giannip

Like Canyon, they sell direct so the price reflects less overheads / agent fees etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 savedbythebell

I have mine about 2 weeks, I let it out of my bedroom sometimes :D

Well built and light at 7.6kgs.

IMG_0830x.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

As Blorg said, the PX finish kit, although unfashionable compares very favourably with the big name stuff, at any price. Its quite good, not just quite good for the price.

The reason this is all so cheap is as previously mentioned because the SRAM red is really just the shifters and derailleurs, the brakes, cranks, cassette, chains, cables etc.. are all lower end but still ok.

It is still a good deal though, the only thing that puts me off them is that the size small can only accomodate one bottle cage which is no good for long winter spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭rothar man

Hi folks
    got a small frame nanolight earlier this year and love it...in reference to bottle cages,

its true the PX SL pro only accomodates one bottle cage on their small frame but the new nanolight frame accomodates 2 cages including the small frame.

i only have Rival but i have not had any probs and the double tap shifting is great after a couple of rides....

managed to get mine through BTW scheme, which saved me a few quid also. highly reccomend px

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

The real reason they can offer this so cheap is that they sell directly to their customers, with no mark-up by middlemen and retailers. I've ordered one of these, XL in black and I should have it the week after next. I'm really looking forward to taking delivery. I think it's an really amazing deal. Even at £1499 it would still be a great deal. I reckon Planet X offered this deal to get as much advance cash in as possible to pay for the frames when they arrive (on October 6th). Even if they aren't making much profit they're creating cashflow. Makes good business sense

Planet X is never going to be popular with people who want to spend as much as possible on their gear but the race results speak for themselves. A lot of races and time trials are being won by riders on £1500 bikes. Good to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I have mine about 2 weeks, I let it out of my bedroom sometimes :D

Well built and light at 7.6kgs.

Slightly off topic but how are you find the sram red front der? Quite a few reports that it is just too soft and at least one pro team running sram red uses the force front der instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 savedbythebell

Its too early to say, but the shifting is very smooth indeed and almost silent compared to 105 which i used to have. No issues so far but mileage is still low....time will tell, but overall the package is great :)

Advertisement