Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independent Mature Student for Grant Purposeses

Options
  • 01-10-2010 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi just wondering if someone can help me, I applied for the grant back at the end of the july and its acceptance has been delayed with them continually asking for more info in dribs and drabs all of which i have provided.

Last year from March 09 to April 2010 i was in Canada so was not living at home with parents in October 2009 and i provided proof of this with flight tickets and Proof of address on Canada, before i left for Canada i was renting a room so was not living at home and have proof for this also.
    However when i came back to Ireland in April 2010 i moved home with Parents while waiting for college to start, As soon as College started i moved out and am now renting a room again.

I got a letter of the VEC yesterday telling me because i was away for a year.
    I had to show proof that i was living independently before i went and when i came back and because i moved home when i came back i was being classed as dependent on my parents.

I do not think this is fair as I am 31 years of age and have not been getting cash of my Parents, i was on Social Welfare.
    I can not see anywhere in the Terms and conditions where being abroad for a year affects you independent status

Can anyone advise me on this, really starting to get worried i might not get this grant and will have to leave college

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

How long were you receiving social welfare? Have you checked if you are eligible for BTEA?

I think the VEC might insist on means testing this on your parents income - however if they do and you get turned down you can appeal it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16 davidblake

only on social welfare for four months so not entitled to BTEA

Advertisement