Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spinning Vs Mashing

• 01-10-2010 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

I used to be alright at pushing larger gears before but started concentrating more on my cadence last year, cycling a single speed and trying to spin more on hills etc. Now a year later I can't really keep any speed up at larger gears on the flat and have to drop back a gear where I can spin again to keep it up. On hills, once my cadence drops I'm finding it difficult to push hard to keep any speed up. Is this some kind of inevitable trade off or can I do some training to sort it out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Get a fixed gear and ride it up and down the mountains. That will sort you out on both ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Are you saying that your over all speed has dropped during a set commute/course?

I have changed my cadence too and find that I am in higher gears far less but my over all speed has drastically improved. That said I was doing a lot of hill work this year for a cycling hol in Wales....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

theres a difference between spinning with power that pro's use [this where it came from afterall- armstrong anyone?] and spinning with alot less power like us mortals. Most seem to back off the power and spin a lighter gear it seems, which is going to reduce the power you can put out v's the cadence you are putting it out at - you want it to be the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

blorg wrote: »
    Get a fixed gear and ride it up and down the mountains. That will sort you out on both ends.

Lol, I'm still lucky to be getting up the mountains.
    Are you saying that your over all speed has dropped during a set commute/course?

I have changed my cadence too and find that I am in higher gears far less but my over all speed has drastically improved. That said I was doing a lot of hill work this year for a cycling hol in Wales....

Speed has increased a good bit and I rarely go beyond second smallest cog.
    me@ucd wrote: »
    theres a difference between spinning with power that pro's use [this where it came from afterall- armstrong anyone?] and spinning with alot less power like us mortals. Most seem to back off the power and spin a lighter gear it seems, which is going to reduce the power you can put out v's the cadence you are putting it out at - you want it to be the latter.

Ok, that makes me feel a little better. If I can give a real world example, if I'm going a long a decent flat I try and stay as close to 40km as I can, when I find my legs can't spin any faster I go higher and try to put the power down to build that cadence up again, but I just can't do it and I slow and slow, drop a gear and I can spin back up again. This is probably normal enough, but I feel I used to be able to put the power down a lot better before. I've lost about 25kg in the last 2 years and wonder if I've lost some muscle as well which may have affected it. It's very frustrating.

Advertisement