Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitability of Joomla?

Options
  • 01-10-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello all,

I haven't created a website in a few years, the last one was with notepad so bear with me please.

I am going to create a website for my company that I will update every day or two with new events/news. Blogger etc is quite suitable, I just want to create something a bit more professional looking and I was wondering would it be easy to update a website on a day to day basis with Joomla? A friend of mine has used it and created a fantastic looking website with it.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks very much,

Moocawn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭worc

Yeah it's dead easy to update. You can update a joomla site daily, hourly, minutely, secondly even if you wanted...it's no hassle at all. :D

Yep - Joomla is a good general purpose CMS with plenty of add ons and themes (free and commercial), good documentation and a large user base. You might also want to look at wordpress, drupal, cms made simple and cushycms as four other general purpose CMS systems, each with their own take on what a CMS should be.

If you have a shared hosting package, you should be able to use the installer wizards to install all but cushycms. I'd definitely advise playing with all of them as they are all quite different in their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Freemancon

Agree with SBS...look at a few of the CMS systems out there before you decide what to use.....

Regarding the Installer Wizards: I would not advise using the installers provided by your hosting company. Many of these installers will not enable you the flexibility to move your site. They tend to be tied to the webspace....Delete the webspace, Delete the Website

Most of the CMS systems out there are very easy to install manually...good support...might take you a little longer but it will be worth it in the long run.
    Yep - Joomla is a good general purpose CMS with plenty of add ons and themes (free and commercial), good documentation and a large user base. You might also want to look at wordpress, drupal, cms made simple and cushycms as four other general purpose CMS systems, each with their own take on what a CMS should be.

If you have a shared hosting package, you should be able to use the installer wizards to install all but cushycms. I'd definitely advise playing with all of them as they are all quite different in their own way.

Freemancon wrote: »
    Regarding the Installer Wizards: I would not advise using the installers provided by your hosting company. Many of these installers will not enable you the flexibility to move your site. They tend to be tied to the webspace....Delete the webspace, Delete the Website

Most of the CMS systems out there are very easy to install manually...good support...might take you a little longer but it will be worth it in the long run.

Good point. I was recommending the wizards as a quick way to install multiple systems for a quick play. As you say, when you''re going for the production install, a manual install is the way forward.

Advertisement