Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Champs Mens Road Race 2010 - predictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Cav

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Gilbert or Freire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Cancellara for me with Roche to bag a top 10 spot. I think the Italians will push it too hard on the last few laps for the sprinters to hang on (bar Hushvold but I don't think he'll have the pace to win).
    That said would love to see Cadel win again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

The heart says Fabien after his spectacular effort last year which floundered on a tactical mistake.

The head says Gilbert if there's a breakaway and Cav :( if its a bunch sprint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Seeing how the best rider last year (Cancellara) was marked out of it by the big teams of the Spanish and Italians I'm going to go for one of the slightly less fancied but dangerous powerful guys who could sneak away to victory on the last few km.

Joaquim Rodríguez (3rd last year)
    Boasson Hagen
    Simon Gerrans (Just for local interest, 10th last year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I would love to see Gilbert win. Glad he is focused on this one. When he goes to a race with a target he usually makes it a very interesting race even if he doesnt win.

Would be nice to see Nico finish up the pecking order, but bigger teams will probably dominate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Philipe Gilbert or Matti Breschel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Hmm, a couple of those predictions look good on paper, but you've got to remember cycle racing is not done on paper, its done on tarmac. Looking at it a bit deeper I think it will come down to whoever crosses the line first but ultimately cycling will be the winner, at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Cav, I don't have eurosport, anyone know where I can watch it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Steephill.tv will lead you to the right place.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

I'm going to go for Oscar Freire as I saw him out training behind a moped in Cantabria. The stripes gave him away.
    Who the team captains are: http://www.podiumcafe.com/2010/9/20/1696528/world-championships-the-captains

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Want to see Cancellara or Pozzato win ... only because they've both got style!

... not Cadel he's had his year in the jersey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Roche

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Roche is not as implausible as some people may think. It is unlikely to be a bunch finish, the italians for one will not have anyone capable of beating Cav in a sprint, so a breakaway will get to the finish and if the course is as hard as they say, Nico could get into a very small select group of non sprinters or lesser sprinters and who knows after that.

Hard to see past Gilbert all the same, seems like the harder course will suit him and very few breakaway riders will live with him in the last 200m.

Can't wait, anyone know what time it is on and if it is being shown live ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Cav/Roche

Am I right in thinking it starts at 10am aust time which would be 11pm sat night here

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Reckon it will be Gilbert. But Roche at 40/1 could be a good e/w bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Would love to see Roche win it, but...........can't see it happening.
    Gilbert is fav and rightly so.
    Others at long odds, Velits & Chavanel !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭treborm

What about Peter Sagan, good e/w 33-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Is mens road race on live on British eurosport? Ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

The course will suit Roche and of course Gilbert and Pozzato but my bet would be on Peter Sagan winning a small bunch sprint. 33/1 is a great price treborm

Really looking forward to possibility of shouting for an Irishman on the last lap of the worlds again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭treborm

Sagan is down to 25-1 Paddy Power are on to my 2.50 e/w

Is mens road race on live on British eurosport? Ta
    7.35am on Eurosport Sunday morning, not sure if that is a live feed. Whats the time differential for Melbourne. (too lazy to check it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Not live on eurosport - live on BBC1 though (possibly via red button)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

penexpers wrote: »
    Not live on eurosport - live on BBC1 though (possibly via red button)

dont think its live on eurosport but definitely live on bbc red button

WORLD ROAD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Saturday

Women's Road Race, 0350-0800, BBC Red Button/online

Women's highlights, 1415-1630, BBC One

Men's Road Race, 2240-0610, BBC Red Button/online

Sunday

Men's highlights, 1300-1400, BBC Two

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tv_and_radio/9020060.stm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Just saw the BBC coverage.Really was quite good and the finish of the womens race was quite exciting.

The main climb seems quite hard but relatively short and would seem to suit a classics style rider. It'll come down to an attack on the hill last time up or a largish group sprint IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Anyone got a link to a stream? Nothing on Steephill or cyclingfans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

€5 E/W Roche

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

what time people reckon to catch last hour im thinking 5am?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Gonna go with Tornado Tom if he is riding. After watching the wimmins race (which was great) it really is a spring classics type of circuit without the cobbles.
    As far as watching I believe they said that it was live from midnite on BBC. Although it maybe via the Red button

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

iv backed pozzato, sagan, and bosassen hagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Just started live on BBC interactive (red Button)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Matt Brammeier on the attack from the off!

Matt Brammeier on the attack from the off!
    Why?!? Shouldn't he be saving himself for his teammate?

Doesn't make much sense:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ah nuts, I feel compelled to watch while he's in the break. I have work in the morning :mad:

Why?!? Shouldn't he be saving himself for his teammate?

Doesn't make much sense:confused:
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Maybe he was told to be in anything that kicked off early and Roche is to leach off other teamsas best he can

Maybe he was told to be in anything that kicked off early and Roche is to leach off other teamsas best he can
    It was he who initiated it though?

Really can't make sense of it

Could be, he was right up the front during the neutralised section. He responded to the Colombian guy I think it was who broke first. He has a nice mix for company - Venezualan, Colombian, Moroccan & Ukrainian.

• Advertisement

16:30 mins up on peleton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

en français si vous préférez

Anybody found a link with English commentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

bbc interactive (red button) covering the whole race. Take it you can't get it down there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ten10twenty

if you're after a english stream you can get BBC online thru a UK Proxy server thru here - http://www.ukproxyserver.co.uk/info/free-trial-request/

normally costs but there's a free trial option

the bbc coverage isn't great so far - the lads fecked off for 20 mins for a sandwich and it was just dead air :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

I'm wide awake haven't been to bed yet and have a flight to the UK in a couple of hours with the taxi coming in 1hour 20 and I can't find a good link to coverage! grrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ten10twenty

formsport.com isn't too bad - it's in french or dutch but apart from the annoying ads it's alright if you're stuck

Oleksandr Kvachuk (Ukraine), Matthew Brammeier (Ireland), Diego Alejandro Tamayo Martinez (Colombia) and Jackson Rodriguez (Venezuela) still with a healthy lead of 13:30
    There is a surprise!!

formsport.com isn't too bad - it's in french or dutch but apart from the annoying ads it's alright if you're stuck

They have just started talking about sligo rovers in dutch!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So the race is on and spoilers don't go in the OP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Only up a short while, but Roche seems to be in the break, doesn't seem likely to succeed though, Bunch sprint anyone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement