Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Champs Mens Road Race 2010 - predictions

2»

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Inquitus wrote: »
    So the race is on and spoilers don't go in the OP ;)
    Race is finished - you are watching delayed coverage on Eurosport (as am I, and I don't know the result either). Threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Beasty wrote: »
    Race is finished - you are watching delayed coverage on Eurosport (as am I, and I don't know the result either). Threads merged.

I didn't realise lol, I actually got up for the Golf, but that was ended by an overnight deluge!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

so
    close for pippo! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What's with the thread merge? The separate thread was created so we wouldn't have pages of spoiler tags on the predictions thread.

no, I'm not back-seat modding, just asking

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The prediction page was being used for updates as the race progressed overnight and the new "race" thread was only started after the race finished (and was using spoilers anyway). Arguably both threads were race/day specific and no spoiler tags are required, but I guess now we've started ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Last years worlds was one of the best races of the year. This year topped it. What a race. This is why I love this sport. It had everything. Sorry if I sound a little OTT but it was a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Agree with you sy.
    2 great races with the womens and mens.

wonder will the media pick on this rather then having Bertie-gate as their cycling news item. Me thinks not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Watched the highlights on BBC and it seemed disappointing tbh.Their commentary didn't help either.

For anyone who saw it live,what the hell was up with the amount of DNFs?It's down as 99 finishers.Did they all give up when they realised they had no chance or was there a time limit and they missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

titan18 wrote: »
    Watched the highlights on BBC and it seemed disappointing tbh.Their commentary didn't help either.
    Watched the BBC highlights too, the commentators were a little slow on the uptake. They failed to notice Gilbert being swept up with about 4km to go and spent the remainder of the race telling us that every attack from the front of the pack was an attempt to reel him in! They also kept complaining that they weren't getting any pictures of Gilbert or info on how big the gap was. It eventually dawned on them somewhere during the final sprint that he must have been mopped up a little earlier. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

titan18 wrote: »

For anyone who saw it live,what the hell was up with the amount of DNFs?It's down as 99 finishers.Did they all give up when they realised they had no chance or was there a time limit and they missed it.

It was a 160 mile one-day race - that would be an average dropout rate tbh.

Also with circuit finishes,straglers on the course would be told to pull in before being lapped.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DNF rate is normal for a race like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Didn't think that so much would drop out considering it's the World Championships.Lots of the Spanish dropped which I was surprised by.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Every world's is the same.

:D
    Good point made over on RBR.
    '......see what Garmin's take on argyle, the Norwegian flag and the WC stripes will be.'
    Should be interesting.
    Also mentioned over there....Will Cervelo make a rainbow jersey and will the God of uphill sprints be obliged to wear it for the remainder of 2010.

Mods do I need spoiler tags?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

aaww man what agreat race brialliant win by hushovd (tainted somewhat by the prospect of argyle an world champ stripes :D
    great womens race as well

great courses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

BBC commentary was pathetic. I was screaming at the tv when they missed Gilbert getting caught by the chasers and Gusev having a go, they still didn't catch on until well after it happened....Porter and Boardman, more like Laurel n Hardy....

Watched it later on eurosport too, Harmon and Kelly clocked it immediately when Gilbert blew.

Great race, great finish, womens yesterday was fantastic too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Great race. IMHO, one day classics (and I include the WC's) are far superior form of entertainment than grand tours. Pretty damn near impossible to win a one day race of this calibre thru defenisve boring cycling. This was aggressive, passionate and encapsulated what was great about sport. Brilliant.
    Gutted for Gilbert, he is my favourite rider, but he cant be disappointed in that he gave his all. Fair dues to Evans - he really tried to make a race of this. Some man. Hoshovd, happy enough. I think he is a likable enough cyclist. Hopefully he will continue to be an attacking champion in the vein of Evans.

Was pretty disappointed with cameras. There was a pretty important event toward the end of the race that was almost missed by cameras (certainly the build up to it was missed). Other than that, it was refreshing to see such an interesting race after what has been a poor week for cycling overall.
    Bring on Giro di Lombardy. Cant wait.

Folks remember to use spoiler tags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Just proved to me that Hoshovd is a great cyclist and sprinter in his own right whereas his rival Cavendish is just a product of a strong lead out. Felt sorry for Evans, he tried so hard to bridge gaps. My prediction of Pozzato to win came 4th! So close, if he had of sprinted earlier he could have had Hoshovd and very nearly piped 3rd.

The bewitching hour has passed, so no more need for spoiler tags;)

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    The bewitching hour has passed, so no more need for spoiler tags;)

EXCELLENT.
    The God of Thunder has spoken!!!!
    'Cav you can keep your Green Jersey....oh wait you never won it:D. I now have the Rainbow. I am the king'
    Of course he prob didnt say that but he must be thinking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Cavendish is just a product of a strong lead out.
    He has won a multitude of stages with no lead out man/train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I don't agree that Cavendish's success is largely down to his lead-out train. As Pete says, he has won plenty of stages with not much in the way of a lead-out.

I do think Hushovd is a bit more rounded as a cyclist than Cavendish. Hushovd seems better able to stick the pace on tougher stages but Cavendish is obviously the better sprinter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I thought it was funny how the aussie announcer got his name wrong on the podium. Hushfold or something. You'd think they'd do a bit of homework.

did the Italians tactics really annoy anyone else???? What were they playing at someone please tell me ... I feel bad for Pozzato, he really fluffed his big chance. He looked good in the end but he picked the wrong wheel! The speed of him was immense when he passed Freire. Having said that Gilbert was right to criticise him for not attacking.

.. as for Fabian, there's a score I'll never see again

The attacks that came from Gilbert et all and Cuddles really animated the race, so although I really quite like Thor I am a bit disappointed that a sprinter won. I suppose he's not just a sprinter and the bunch was seriously depleted so it wasn't like a crappy tour flat stage. All in all an excellent race to watch! One of the best I think I've seen (prob doesn't count for much only started watching this season :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I suppose he's not just a sprinter and the bunch was seriously depleted so it wasn't like a crappy tour flat stage. All in all an excellent race to watch! One of the best I think I've seen (prob doesn't count for much only started watching this season :) )

your second comment is why you think flat tour stages are crappy, you have much to learn, flat stages have their own brutal beauty

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

RobFowl wrote: »
    I think the Italians will push it too hard on the last few laps for the sprinters to hang on (bar Hushvold but I don't think he'll have the pace to win).

Points for getting the scenario right, - points for naming the winner but going on to say he wouldn't have the legs ......

your second comment is why you think flat tour stages are crappy, you have much to learn, flat stages have their own brutal beauty

the only brutal beauty is Kelly's commentary:rolleyes:

Advertisement