Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass clippings as mulch?

Options
  • 01-10-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm wondering whether to try mulching my veg beds with grass clippings this winter. I don't like leaving the beds empty because that means more weeding in the spring - and leaching of nutrients over the winter. And I didn't get enough green manure seeds for all of the beds (bad forward planning!), so something else has to be done.

Has anyone tried mulching with lawn mower clippings? And did it work? Grateful for any advice/experience!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

We do it most years. It keeps down the weeds and feeds up the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

I find carpet, or cardboard works well too

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

I heard (or perhaps read in this forum?) that weeds may be a problem if they were any in your grass that could survive and then grow in your beds (as seed?). Perhaps an expert could give us more info here...

Advertisement