Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EBS - Family saver savings accounts the real deal? Also: views on EBS mortgage deals

Options
  • 01-10-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hello I am a 29 year old single non-smoking professional employed by a company in the UK. I need to save up to 15,000 from scratch in the next two years in order to buy a property in Dublin. So I am looking through the different short-term savings accounts and the EBS family saver account with its gross interest rate of 4% seems to be the option I have identified so far. Would it be of benefit to me if negotiating a mortgage deal with EBS to have this account already existing? I have heard somewhere that the updated mortgage rates quoted online should not be taken for gospel, does this mean that there is much leeway for negotiation of mortgage deals with EBS? I would be interested to hear views of anyone who has a short-term savers account and/or mortgage rates with EBS.

A bit more info about my situation anyway. I’m looking to buy a two-bedroomed property around the 200K mark in the Dublin area, iwith the intention to rent one room out and keep the other for my use when I visit.
    I’m on a gross income 32,000K , and would tend to be increasingly frugal with the cash, so should easily reach my target within 1.5 years. I’m trying to make adjustments to my pension and lifecover arrangements as I think the amounts I’m paying are rather high (200pm for pension, 35pm for lifecover). My rent is currently very cheap (410pm) but I want to move soon to a place with more space/comfort and may pay up to 700pm if necessary. No loans to speak of so far and I have a good credit history

I will be shortly speaking with independent financial advisor face-to-face but please any advice from the wider community is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

An Post might be worth checking as they have some accounts that DIRT tax isn't levied on

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭gabria

Hi yeah the savings bonds and certs are DIRT free alright. But they have to be left for 3 and 5.5 years. I'm looking for a shorter-term savings account and DIRT kicks in here. I assume I do need to pay DIRT? Even though it is the UK in which I'm resident for tax, I do occasionally come over to Ireland to do contract work and pay PAYE on this income. Might clarify this with Revenue though.

Advertisement