Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the risks if any of putting a non company pc/laptop on LAN

• 01-10-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭

To settle a discussion at work today, can anyone tell me the risks if any of putting a non company pc/laptop on LAN

Imagine I work for abc ltd

A visitor (does not work for abc ltd) meets someone in abc ltd offices ,connects a network cable into his laptop, boots up laptop, he will get an ip address from DHCP server, once he has an ip address , what can he do

Could he get to our system, other pc's on LAN, servers , routers etc

Imagine he has/trojan on laptop, can this infect our interfere with our systems

Using a simple ipconfig command he can get his ip address , and can easily guess other ip addresses

Not sure if this is the case, but he clicks on network neigbourhood, would he see other pc's etc on network

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,539 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

k123456 wrote: »
    To settle a discussion at work today, can anyone tell me the risks if any of putting a non company pc/laptop on LAN

Imagine I work for abc ltd

A visitor (does not work for abc ltd) meets someone in abc ltd offices ,connects a network cable into his laptop, boots up laptop, he will get an ip address from DHCP server, once he has an ip address , what can he do

Could he get to our system, other pc's on LAN, servers , routers etc

Imagine he has/trojan on laptop, can this infect our interfere with our systems

Using a simple ipconfig command he can get his ip address , and can easily guess other ip addresses

Not sure if this is the case, but he clicks on network neigbourhood, would he see other pc's etc on network

Seeing machines in network neighbourhood would be the least of the problems. Setting a packet sniffer running to grab passwords, emails etc would be more worrisome. Or just starting a port scanner to see who's sharing things would leak a lot of info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Spear wrote: »
    Seeing machines in network neighbourhood would be the least of the problems. Setting a packet sniffer running to grab passwords, emails etc would be more worrisome. Or just starting a port scanner to see who's sharing things would leak a lot of info.

Hi Spear

Thanks for the reply

tell us more about packet sniffer or port scanner, reason I ask , in work today, I was told OK to out non company laptop on our LAN, I have heard before in another company it is risky, but I do not know exactly why it is risky

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,539 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Spear

Thanks for the reply

tell us more about packet sniffer or port scanner, reason I ask , in work today, I was told OK to out non company laptop on our LAN, I have heard before in another company it is risky, but I do not know exactly why it is risky

How could it not be risky? You're potentially exposing everything, business plans, customer data etc. Whoever said it was okay to allow an unchecked foreign machine on your network shouldn't be still employed. Your company has a firewall and locks on the doors for good reasons.

Advertisement