Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sticky cherry buns

Options
  • 01-10-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi Does anyone have a recipe for the sticky cherry buns you can get in bewleys or from mccluskeys moorland cafe in drogheda please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

ooh I second this request! I love those buns...big part of my childhood going to bewleys when visiting my nana!
    eternal gratitude to anyone with an idea how to make them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

I just tried this recipe and though they are gorgeous, they are like cherry tea cakes and not quite the desired result. They are nice with butter too.

http://shamrockfoods.ie/Recipes/Cherry-Buns-131.aspx

Plus I did the first part in processor so didn't have to get my hands covered in mix. Very easy and quick to make. Left jus under half the milk required.

H.

Was chatting to my mam earlier about these, she said she remembers bewleys cherrybuns being like a cherry hot-cross-bun type of bun:) basically she said they were a yeast based dough, not spiced, sweet with lots of cherries.
    I have trouble remembering them tbh. Can anyone remember if they were yeast-based?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi OP - The good folk here in C&P may be able to help you better.

HB

OP, I decided to give the buns a go in the bread machine to make the dough, then shape and bake them in the oven.

Recipe:
    Sweet dough buns with cherries

1tsp dried instant yeast
    1lb strong flour
    4tbsp caster sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    3oz butter
    1 egg
    250ml milk

150g diced cherries!

Method:
    Put the ingredients into the breadmaker pan in the order listed above, or to the spec of your machine (mine's the beloved panasonic sd255, or "Panny" as I call it :))
    Let the dough work in the machine for 2hr and 20 mins.

Lightly kneed the marbled pink and white dough with flour, it's a little sticky! Shape into 15 sizeable balls, cover with some oiled clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place for 20-40 mins.
    Before baking, brush over an eggwash, (a beaten egg with some milk) and a sprinkle of caster sugar to create a sugary crust.

Bake at 220 deg C for 12 mins, until golden.

Well, this is how they turned out! Nice and light with lots of cherries, not to far off the bewleys originals! I was quite pleased.:D

photo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

OpenBake wrote: »
    OP, I decided to give the buns a go in the bread machine to make the dough, then shape and bake them in the oven.
    ....QUOTE]

Thanks, can't wait to try them. I will also try another recipe to see if we get any closer. Well Done! Great pic!
    H.

Advertisement