Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tell me the risks if any of putting a non company pc/laptop on LAN

Options
  • 01-10-2010 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

To settle a discussion at work today, can anyone tell me the risks if any of putting a non company pc/laptop on LAN

Imagine I work for abc ltd

A visitor (does not work for abc ltd) meets someone in abc ltd offices ,connects a network cable into his laptop, boots up laptop, he will get an ip address from DHCP server, once he has an ip address , what can he do

Could he get to our system, other pc's on LAN, servers , routers etc

Imagine he has/trojan on laptop, can this infect our interfere with our systems

Using a simple ipconfig command he can get his ip address , and can easily guess other ip addresses

Not sure if this is the case, but he clicks on network neigbourhood, would he see other pc's etc on network , and if so is this risky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Very risky for all above reasons. If the visitor knows what he is doing possibilities are endless. Never allow a visitor onto your corporate network, or grant wifi access - unless you have a separate web only wifi point setup. Ideally, disable all unused ports on your LAN switches. The very paranoid will lock down ports by MAC addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

A few years ago a business I know let a software installer put his laptop on their Lan and he brought them down for 6 days with a few viruses.

Advertisement