Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra locks for UPVC french doors?

• 01-10-2010 6:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,are there any other types of locks or bolts that can be fitted to UPVC French Doors?

I fitted euro snap locks recently and also have the house alarmed and a PIR above the door,but are there any other types of locks or bolts that can be to a UPVC door?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi Paddy, you will get a better response here :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

altor wrote: »
    Hi Paddy, you will get a better response here :D

I,ll give it a go so.Thanks.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

paddy147 wrote: »
    I,ll give it a go so.Thanks.:)

One of the mods here will move it for you ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved to DIY .

Anyone??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hi Paddy, I had a similar problem to yourself in that I couldn't find any extra locks to attach to my PVC doors. In the end I managed to find a window lock that fitted perfectly for my needs which you can see in the pic below. They may not fit your needs, but if you want to give them a try, you can get them from this link: http://www.accesskeys.ie/Catalog/10962/Sash-Jammers

01102010012g.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

nice one delly. i've been trying to source these snap locks for a while, without paying an arm and a leg.

delly wrote: »
    Hi Paddy, I had a similar problem to yourself in that I couldn't find any extra locks to attach to my PVC doors. In the end I managed to find a window lock that fitted perfectly for my needs which you can see in the pic below. They may not fit your needs, but if you want to give them a try, you can get them from this link: http://www.accesskeys.ie/Catalog/10962/Sash-Jammers

01102010012g.jpg

Absolutely perfect.

Can I ask did you buy them off the website and how quick did you get them after paying for them??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

paddy147 wrote: »
    Absolutely perfect.

Can I ask did you buy them off the website and how quick did you get them after paying for them??

I didn't get them from that site myself, but did a bit a search around and found it. I think I got them in B&Q or Hombase so you might get lucky if you check there first.

I didn't get them from that site myself, but did a bit a search around and found it. I think I got them in B&Q or Hombase so you might get lucky if you check there first.

Cheers.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

How are they fixed to the door, are they just screwed into the plastic frame?
    A good tug on the door and the screws would just pull out I would think?

Neilw wrote: »
    How are they fixed to the door, are they just screwed into the plastic frame?
    A good tug on the door and the screws would just pull out I would think?

Well the metal door has to be drilled in order to fit them, so they are on good and tight. I only have one on the bottom to work in conjunction with the doors regular lock. My theory is that it will hold the door in place and prevent it being wedged or jimmied open with a crowbar or similar. You would need two in place if you want them as a backup to your regular locks in order to stop the door being opened me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Well the metal door has to be drilled in order to fit them, so they are on good and tight. I only have one on the bottom to work in conjunction with the doors regular lock. My theory is that it will hold the door in place and prevent it being wedged or jimmied open with a crowbar or similar. You would need two in place if you want them as a backup to your regular locks in order to stop the door being opened me thinks.

I see, I thought they just attached to the plastic frame. Might pick up a couple, cheap at €3.50 each.

Advertisement