Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schneider Weisse Changed?

Options
  • 01-10-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭

Schneider Weisse, for some unknown reason, changed all their labeling this year (Original (hefe) is now Tap 7)
    When this happened, there was a lot of talk that the beer had changed - I wasn't convinced.
    However, I had a few of them the other night and I am now convinced that what is now Tap 7 is very different to the old Original.
    It seems much lighter in colour and has less of the complex spicy flavours I used to love.

So, is it just me and some other cranks who resist change, or has the beer change along with the label ?

It used to be my favorite Weisse but now it seems to taste very much like all the others.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I guess we need to find an old bottle of original and compare :D

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Strange that you mention that ... I got a couple of the old ones in Tescos so once I find a few new bottlings and I'll join in and do a head to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭boardsy

Hadn't seen the amazing Aventinus around (i.e. in the Abbot's Alehouse) for a while - now re-branded Tap 6 I see... what a daft naming convention :confused:

At least the Aventinus Eisbock retains its original name.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Saruman wrote: »
    I guess we need to find an old bottle of original and compare :D

Yes, work to be done!
    Strange that you mention that ... I got a couple of the old ones in Tescos so once I find a few new bottlings and I'll join in and do a head to head.

Yay, go to work my friend!
    boardsy wrote: »
    Hadn't seen the amazing Aventinus around (i.e. in the Abbot's Alehouse) for a while - now re-branded Tap 6 I see... what a daft naming convention :confused:

At least the Aventinus Eisbock retains its original name.

Yes, the most pointless relabeling, possibly ever.

I do know that there is a pallet of out of date Aventinus in the bond waiting to be released to the Abbot's (but it was waiting a year ago too:mad:)
    I will inform if it ever makes it to the shop.

Chances are that the Eisbock is from before the rebadging.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Chances are that the Eisbock is from before the rebadging.
    The website doesn't suggest that the Eisbock is due for rebadging. I see the Hopfenweisse is part of the permanent line-up: that's very good news. I don't see the Edelweisse, but it could be they don't sell it in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was the Edelweisse the organic hefe?

I see they have Mein Grunes too.
    Could that be a replacement for the Edelweisse?

Do you have any opinions the change/no change issue, Beernut?

I see they have Mein Grunes too.
    Could that be a replacement for the Edelweisse?
    The ABV matches, so I'd say you're right there.
    Do you have any opinions the change/no change issue, Beernut?
    I've not had any Schneider in ages. I do know that the only way to tell for sure is a blind triangle test: two servings of one and one of the other, presented blind. Is the odd-one-out obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

It's something that was puzzling me also. I had an Aventinus about 5 months ago which was from the purple-labelled bottle (like the Eisbock)...the next time I had it (in the same bar) it had the white label with a purple heart-shaped design and Tap 6 on it. I just assumed it was due to different import batches or somesuch. Recently I can only find the new style labelling so what you guys are saying makes sense.

Come to think of it, it's high time I revisited the wonders of Schneider-Weisse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sycamore87

I have twice been to the Schneider Brau Haus in Munich and I believe I have an answer to why they have changed the labels. In Munich the beer is listed on the menu under tap number and when the servers go to get your beer they take it from a tap that relates to the number you chose. There are 8 beers available in munich(including deadly pints of Eisbock).The new labels are probably designed for Germans who are more familiar with the numbered system. For the less tutonic consumers it seems a bit confusing and pointless though.

sycamore87 wrote:
    pints of Eisbock
    :eek:
    sycamore87 wrote:
    The new labels are probably designed for Germans who are more familiar with the numbered system. For the less tutonic consumers it seems a bit confusing and pointless though.
    Very! Would it have been too difficult to include both the original name AND the tap number on the label??? :(

• Advertisement

Would it have been too difficult to include both the original name AND the tap number on the label?
    Isn't that exactly what they did?

BeerNut wrote: »
    Isn't that exactly what they did?

Oh, so they did :o Well done Schneider Weisse! brauerei.spezialitaeten.aven.produkt.01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Oh, so they did :o Well done Schneider Weisse! brauerei.spezialitaeten.aven.produkt.01.jpg

Having a "tap 6" at the moment and it doesn't look as dark as what was in the older bottles. They taste similar but look different.

I remember holding the old one up to the light and barely able to see anything through the glass but a lot more light gets through "tap6".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

this was quite problematic for me as i drank a friends beer which had been the old label and when i went to get a replacement it had all this tap **** i hadnt known about before, not sure if i got the correct one now!

Advertisement