Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Galway sayings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Feek, Handicap, Feen, Beure, Mace, Tome, Bagel, Mong, Truth.

Howya loveen. Did that feen feek ya last night down behind the centre, you were makin' some queer noises - sham.

thats Tuam, who have a language of their own. Its not Galway.

ara how are ya loveens

I'm grand now brigit a-girdle, how's yoursel oul stock

ara sure ya can't complain I'm off down the claddagh bank now

I'll see ya down there so in a while ...ah gaw help iz.

I'm happy out - sound man.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Herring choker
    Winkle pinker

Both refering to claddagh people

"on the tack" abstaining from alcohol
    "beag" To steal

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

"goin for a bottel down the arch"
    "will you shift my friend"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

"How's the goin'?"

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

How's the craic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

thats Tuam, who have a language of their own. Its not Galway.

Yes it is Galway City talk too.

eagle10 wrote: »
    "on the tack" abstaining from alcohol

?? Never heard of that.
    "beag" To steal

You mean "beeg" :pac:

I'm off down the claddagh bank now

Who in Galway City says "Claddagh Bank" its The/tha Claddagh or just going bushin' down the west or down the Claddagh.

...ah gaw help iz.

That just reeks of Dublin.

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    Not Galway specific: in fact, I think it's American originally, where cops in some parts really do wear sunglasses.

Maybe but if you say The Shades in Galway City people know you mean AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Steyr wrote: »
    Who in Galway City says "Claddagh Bank"

The "Claddagh Bank" was the old dole office
    (Unemployment Exchange) when it was
    in the building beside the Claddagh church.

?? Never heard of that.

You mean "beeg" :pac:

Sorry did not have a dictionary on hand to check the spelling of beag/beeg..

Lots of people "go on the tack for november" maybe your too young to of heard it perhaps you could ask your father or check with someone that has lived in Galway a very long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Herring choker
    Winkle pinker

Both refering to claddagh people

and people from Balla Fada as well

churchview wrote: »
    and people from Balla Fada as well

Havent heard of it been refered to Balla Fada(long walk) in a long time that is where my grandmother is from

Havent heard of it been refered to Balla Fada(long walk) in a long time that is where my grandmother is from

Mine too, and a good few generations before that as well!

It's funny, there's a clear distinction here. There's people with the Tuam sham sayings (beaur, tome etc.) who regard those as Galway sayings, but you wouldn't have heard them in Galway until the last 20 to 30 years; it probably reflects the age of the people using the sayings. Then there's the older Galway sayings and words that have been around forever such as "loveen", "on the tack", "gaw help iz" - the last you'd associate with when people used to live on Quay Street in the likes of buildings now occupied by Gemelles, Martines etc. You'll still hear a few of the ould stock using it.

By the way, Balla Fada is literally Long Wall in English. It was originally known as Eyre's Long Wall and this changed to Long Walk over the years, although it's still Balla Fada in Irish.

churchview wrote: »
    Mine too, and a good few generations before that as well!

It's funny, there's a clear distinction here. There's people with the Tuam sham sayings (beaur, tome etc.) who regard those as Galway sayings, but you wouldn't have heard them in Galway until the last 20 to 30 years; it probably reflects the age of the people using the sayings. Then there's the older Galway sayings and words that have been around forever such as "loveen", "on the tack", "gaw help iz" - the last you'd associate with when people used to live on Quay Street in the likes of buildings now occupied by Gemelles, Martines etc. You'll still hear a few of the ould stock using it.

By the way, Balla Fada is literally Long Wall in English. It was originally known as Eyre's Long Wall and this changed to Long Walk over the years, although it's still Balla Fada in Irish.

What I find funny is some of the people that use the phrase "aul stock".
    They may have been brought up in knocknacarra and thier parents might only of moved to Galway form mayo or some other county in the 70's and using aul stock all the time...

Would these people even know where forthill cemetrery is??

More sayings that this type might remember are
    Flick
    Joe bloggs man
    Trackner Knacker
    Raver

What I find funny is some of the people that use the phrase "aul stock".

Dead right. They might use it but they'll never pronounce it "right" ;)
    Would these people even know where forthill cemetrery is??

I've a few relatives in there as well.

Who in Galway City says "Claddagh Bank" its The/tha Claddagh or just going bushin' down the west or down the Claddagh.

That just reeks of Dublin.

obviously you are only a young wan who thinks the claddagh /spanish arch was invented for bushin only.

ask you mam or dad - what the claddagh bank was - they might be able to help you if they are not blow ins. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Auld Schtock...as in..."how's the going auld schtock?"

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dolphin city
    ...ah gaw help iz.

posted by steyr: That just reeks of Dublin.

Steyr

You are on here judging what is a galway saying and what isn't, but you are only proving the fact that you haven't a clue - were either born in the last ten years, or moved to galway in the last ten years - we are looking for great Galway sayings - not new galway sayings from "runner-in" types. :D believe me if you are from galway you won't automatically think that anything to do with the claddagh involves the spanish arch, bushin, or buckfast.

so I'd say to you - say nothin till ya hear more - because you keep posting the wrong thing. :P

same as that oul' schtock:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

He's lakes (though that might be a Tuam one)
    He made a hames of it
    She's dead feek (another Tuam one I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

FatherTed wrote: »
    He's lakes (though that might be a Tuam one)
    He made a hames of it
    She's dead feek (another Tuam one I think)

My father is from Leitrim and he has been using "he made a hames of it" for over 40 years.
    I don't think it is a Galway saying, it is nationwide.

jkforde wrote: »
    I for one am getting tired of you constantly looking for information from users of this forum. Fact.

Judging by the popularity of my post, your opinion is not shared.

newmug wrote: »
    Havent read a single sayin that I havent heard all over the country. Where are you from OP?

Knocknacara Cross.

inisboffin wrote: »
    The etymology of a some of those unusual ones (many heard Tuamside) are actually :D from Gammon, Cant and Latin! Now for ya!

True, many of the Tuam sayings are derived from Gammon and Cant.
    Anywhere you have a large population of Travellers, you will find local sayings derived from Gammon and Cant.
    For example sayings which you think are originally from Tuam, will also be used by Travellers in Longford and Balinasloe; as these areas have a high poulation of Travellers. It is common for Travellers to use the same common sayings nationwide. Locals then pick up on the Traveller sayings and they then become local to an area; such as Tuam.
    A friend of mine is from Longford, and is familiar with all the Tuam sayings as a result of hearing Travellers from Longford (using the same language) all his life. So it would appear many of these sayings are not exclusively Tuam or even Galway.

I'll meet ya at the four corners so. :D

Dr McManus wrote: »
    Knocknacara Cross.
    Knocknacarra cross? If your from there should you not be familiar with galway sayings? Hanging on like a loose button or whatever you said IS NOT a galway saying i never heard it and checked with many auld stock and they never heard it maybe its a knocknacarra cross saying. I cant help but get the feeling you come here under false pretences and i dont like it.

• Advertisement

Hamburger Hill. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement