Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Galway sayings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Steyr

You are on here judging what is a galway saying and what isn't, but you are only proving the fact that you haven't a clue - were either born in the last ten years, or moved to galway in the last ten years - we are looking for great Galway sayings - not new galway sayings from "runner-in" types. :D believe me if you are from galway you won't automatically think that anything to do with the claddagh involves the spanish arch, bushin, or buckfast.

so I'd say to you - say nothin till ya hear more - because you keep posting the wrong thing. :P

Wrong again, im Galway Born N Bred. And im here 27 years since the day i was born and know alot of sayings, so im far from a "runner in" the fact you even said that is silly. And where im from all of the above applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Steyr wrote: »
    Wrong again, im Galway Born N Bred. And im here 27 years since the day i was born and know alot of sayings, so im far from a "runner in" the fact you even said that is silly. And where im from all of the above applies.

you were born in 1983 so - the height of the claddagh bank era. and no it has nothing to do with buckfast. :rolleyes:

you should really get out more around Galway - you don't seem to know the first thing about what a galway saying is - ga help iz.:D or maybe its the buckfast.

you were born in 1983 so - the height of the claddagh bank era. and no it has nothing to do with buckfast. :rolleyes:

Never said it had anything to do with Bucky. Simply said if people were going "down the Claddagh" or "Down The Arch" they would never say down to the Claddagh Bank, its not even a Bank its the Claddagh Basin.

you should really get out more around Galway
    I get out around my City quite a bit actually, you can ask alot of Boardsies who go out with me and others on a regular basis.

you don't seem to know the first thing about what a galway saying is

Simple reply for the above is: :pac: @ You.

- ga help iz.:D or maybe its the buckfast.

That is a Dublin saying perhaps Nationwide but not really Galway City, and i dont drink Buckfast or as its more commonly known in Galway City as "Bucky" "A Bottle" or simply "A Bottle Of B", Now off you go i am not wasting more of my time correcting you nothing you post is positive you have already had your post deleted in the Picture thread here for Slagging people for uploading their pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Never said it had anything to do with Bucky. Simply said if people were going "down the Claddagh" or "Down The Arch" they would never say down to the Claddagh Bank, its not even a Bank its the Claddagh Basin.

You're really not helping yourself here. Read up a few posts and you'll see the explanation of what the Claddagh Bank is. All real Claddagh people (and there are very few left now) will know exactly what this is. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

That is a Dublin saying perhaps Nationwide but not really Galway City,

Sorry, but that's absolute rubbish. Again, just because you're not familiar with it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. It's one of the most common idiomatic expressions you'll hear amongst, for some reason, old Galway inner-city women; women from the town. It's pronounced completely differently with different intonation to the Dublin expression which uses the same words. I can clearly think of one woman who worked in McDonagh's Fish Shop who punctuated pretty much every sentence with it. Plenty still do.

churchview wrote: »
    Read up a few posts and you'll see the explanation of what the Claddagh Bank is. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Im not from The Claddagh but its known as The Claddagh Basin as that is what it is which is what i said.

Sorry, but that's absolute rubbish. Again, just because you're not familiar with it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Not rubbish, Again i never said it didnt exist but i have heard that more in Dublin than in Galway, i have heard more "oh lord bless us and save us" in Galway more than the other but this is most likely a Nationwide saying.

• Advertisement

Im not from The Claddagh but its known as The Claddagh Basin as that is what it is which is what i said.

Look back to post 63 on this thread. The poster there writes a kind of a dialogue and one of the conversationalists says that he or she is off to the Claddagh Bank. The other replies that he or she will see him or her there.

Now here's where the misunderstanding arises. In post 71 you imply that they meant they were going to the Claddagh basin, but what they're actually saying is that they'll meet at the Unemployment exchange because, gah help iz! they're both on the dole. You and the poster are talking about two different things.

You, the Claddagh basin. The other poster, the Claddagh Bank = the dole office.

Not rubbish, Again i never said it didnt exist but i have heard that more in Dublin than in Galway, i have heard more "oh lord bless us and save us" in Galway more than the other but this is most likely a Nationwide saying.

I'd say this is more of an age thing. I'm a few years older than you and I'd hear and have heard loads of oul wans saying "Gah help iz" - I can't write it the way it sounds! There's a distinctly Galway way of saying this in the old Galway accent, not the more modern Westside type Galway accent. "Lord bless us and save us" is more a kind of dramatic statement whereas the other would be more to punctuate, e.g. "He's a grand lad, gah help iz"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

she was bet down with a shovel

apparently a Galway saying which implies the lady is not as attractive as you would like her to be.

Oh, and for the record, like anyone cares!!!!

I'm not into the whole vehemance of the blow-in thing. Galway has been built on new people moving in and bringing their ways and expressions. Long may it continue. My father's family are considered blow-ins by my mother's side as my father's people "came in the Dublin Road*" in about the 1890s!!!

*from about 20 miles out!

Fuinseog wrote: »
    she was bet down with a shovel

apparently a Galway saying which implies the lady is not as attractive as you would like her to be.

Shortened sometimes to "she's bet down looking"

you should really get out more around Galway - you don't seem to know the first thing about what a galway saying is - ga help iz.:D or maybe its the buckfast.

with the amount of blow ins in Galway it shard to find real galway speech.

maybe the OP should head into Mcdonaghs, one of the few places where you heard a galway accent.

apparently there are four different types of accents within the city

shantalla,
    mervue
    g4
    ?

• Advertisement

Shortened sometimes to "she's bet down looking"

have you actually heard this? i got it in the feckin book of irish slang, but never heard it used.

Look back to post 63 on this thread. The poster there writes a kind of a dialogue and one of the conversationalists says that he or she is off to the Claddagh Bank. The other replies that he or she will see him or her there.

Now here's where the misunderstanding arises. In post 71 you imply that they meant they were going to the Claddagh basin, but what they're actually saying is that they'll meet at the Unemployment exchange because, gah help iz! they're both on the dole. You and the poster are talking about two different things.

You, the Claddagh basin. The other poster, the Claddagh Bank = the dole office.

I'd say this is more of an age thing. I'm a few years older than you and I'd hear and have heard loads of oul wans saying "Gah help iz" - I can't write it the way it sounds! There's a distinctly Galway way of saying this in the old Galway accent, not the more modern Westside type Galway accent. "Lord bless us and save us" is more a kind of dramatic statement whereas the other would be more to punctuate, e.g. "He's a grand lad, gah help iz"

Sound :pac:

have you actually heard this? i got it in the feckin book of irish slang, but never heard it used.

God yeah. I said it myself to my wife just a week or two ago when she asked me what I thought of her brother's new girlfriend. Mind you, he's no oil painting himself :D

apparently there are four different types of accents within the city

shantalla,
    mervue
    g4
    ?

Im Westside thru and thru, where the hell is G4? :eek: :eek: :pac:

It's more a state of mind than a place - kind of like D4 and the "rindabout" types. Those that aspire to be G4 are generally **** ;)

Sound :pac:

sound as a bell.

BTW has the term -savage- arrived in the west?

It's more a state of mind than a place - kind of like D4 and the "rindabout" types. Those that aspire to be G4 are generally **** ;)

Oh Roysh...:cool:

213DFDB015B7461F949AD91A7A5B7E8C-0000336624-0001960306-00183L-F93DE02C82A44B209CD2F31C10FD3B28.jpg

Just made this a minute ago..:D:pac::D

D5D35A41D18B4B76BD8759166C666AF4-0000336624-0001960307-00750L-82A2B84C908B4036AE094282456122D2.jpg

not necessarily a state of mind. remember when moycullen and Bearna aka Borna were inhabited solely by muck savages, only to be replaced by a kind of high society(perhaps colonists from south dublin wanting to move down the country).
    the great thing about galway is that try as it might with venues like buskers it cannot really do posh and upmarket.

D5D35A41D18B4B76BD8759166C666AF4-0000336624-0001960307-00750L-82A2B84C908B4036AE094282456122D2.jpg

but it can be attempted. we just need to drive away the hippies from the market on saturday and make it a real formers morket.

there is space for yachts in the harbour.

what else do we need to change.

maybe jack up the price of heino in buskers and the quays to keep away teh scobies.

• Advertisement

Now that's just pure brilliance Steyr!

THANKS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

You're about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe.

Dr McManus wrote: »
    You're about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe.

Tits on a bull........Pure useless

Tits on a bull........Pure useless

...an ashtray on a motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lupo_solitario

Happy Out , Not a Bother

Nice topic to start a thread op ,its been a top read :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Simply said if people were going "down the Claddagh" or "Down The Arch" ...
    Galway people, unless they were reared on Eastenders re-runs wouldn't say "going down the ..." anything - that's very much an English / London thing "Ah'm goin' dahn the boozah, Elsie, aw rhight girl?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

ah its okay steyr - just keep believing that Galway was only built and functioning since you were born - :D:D:D:D:D Anyone living before 1983 weren't really Galway at all. As I say, before "your time" the spanish arch and the claddagh were not automatically associated with buckfast and drink. It used to be quite a classy place, before the booze brains took it over ;)

ah its okay steyr - just keep believing that Galway was only built and functioning since you were born - :D:D:D:D:D Anyone living before 1983 weren't really Galway at all. As I say, before "your time" the spanish arch and the claddagh were not automatically associated with buckfast and drink. It used to be quite a classy place, before the booze brains took it over ;)

Ah for Gods sake, will you move on? Steyr has. Read the posts above.

mathepac wrote: »
    Galway people, unless they were reared on Eastenders re-runs wouldn't say "going down the ..." anything - that's very much an English / London thing "Ah'm goin' dahn the boozah, Elsie, aw rhight girl?"

Completely disagree. Very common to hear "I'm goin down" whether it's up, down, across or wherever. Thinking about it, it probably comes about as a direct translation from Irish as do many speech patterns on Galway.
    Many families moved in from Connemara and set up business or kept fishing e.g. mcdonaghs on quay street, mcdonoghs on merchants road, and idiomatic expressions passed from Irish to English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

Not from Galway but living here for years. Galwegians have funny grammar, they say "I'm going doing something this evening" instead of "I'm going to do something this evening". Anybody else notice this ? "Shtop the lights" is one I hear alot too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement