Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a modern history/current affairs book of Sub-Saharan Africa

Options
  • 01-10-2010 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭

Mod's please feel free to move not sure at all which forum this should go into (History maybe?)

Hi I'm looking for a recommendation on a book on modern (post cold war) Africa and its conflicts/politics/history in particular the Congo region. This is motivated solely by my desire to want to learn more about this area after reading so many various news reports on the DR Congo so doesn't have to specific to this country or the Second Congo War at all (though having read the wikipedia page on it I'd say its deserving a many in itself).

Not really looking for an aid workers journal memoir (well not an Asne Seierstad one, though obviously something like Robert Fisks books would be different story)

Thanks very much for any suggestions even if it is solely about the military side of things it would be very interesting considering its considered the deadliest armed conflict in recent years.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A recent book I read on the that area of Africa was The Shackled Continent by Robert Guest. The author is a journalist from the Economist, so it leans slightly to the conservative. I found it well written and he spent time in various countries around the region, including I think the Congo

Advertisement