Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tripod Stability

Options
  • 01-10-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever see or use one of these ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuzZMaW00ns&feature=related
    Looks to be some bit of kit in fairness, awkward for hunting I know but for target or plinking looks the dogs. I wonder what kind of money they are. The stability is amazing even out to 500 picking leaves on trees:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

kay 9 wrote: »
    Anyone ever see or use one of these ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuzZMaW00ns&feature=related
    Looks to be some bit of kit in fairness, awkward for hunting I know but for target or plinking looks the dogs. I wonder what kind of money they are. The stability is amazing even out to 500 picking leaves on trees:D

The army have one for Zeroing the AUG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

OTT in a big way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

The army have one for Zeroing the AUG

Just the one is it?

Just the one is it?

well they have the one type in every barrack

No point for guys like us, as you know they have no Bi-pods on general issue so zeroing is difficult without one (for them)

However, I think the TRIPODS are a waste of time

Those tripods you speak of aren't for zeroing rifles.

• Advertisement

Those tripods you speak of aren't for zeroing rifles.

If it's lies I'm tellin, T'is lies I was told deeks!

If it's lies I'm tellin, T'is lies I was told deeks!

Then don't believe everything you're told! But don't loose any sleep over it, coz most people on here don't believe anything you tell them either ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

kay 9 wrote: »
    ............... awkward for hunting I know but for target or plinking looks the dogs. .......................

As you said awkward for hunting, but even for target shooting its "illegal" according to competition rules. Now for general/informal "target" practise or zeroing they would be good enough but if you are going that route why not look at something like this .....................

opplanet-shooters-ridge-deluxe-shooting-bench-40897-02.jpg

..................... it could zero your rifle and hold all your cleaning gear, etc, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Then don't believe everything you're told! But don't loose any sleep over it, coz most people on here don't believe anything you tell them either ;)

Deeks, an Artificer told me thats what it was for, however for obvious reasons "he" will not come on boards to discuss.

In regards to you points on folk not believing me, well that is your opinion.

Yes I do take people at their word, maybe I should ask you in retrospect to educate us ;to what it actually is for??

And not just take you at your word!!

an Artificer told me thats what it was for, however for obvious reasons "he" will not come on boards to discuss.

Your full of it. Artificer my butt.
    Yes I do take people at their word, maybe I should ask you in retrospect to educate us ;to what it actually is for??

Maybe your right maybe at one point they were for zeroing rifles but they aren't for zeroing steyrs. Something more like Lee Enfields but could you imagine firing a .303 on top of one of them. Some of them are for two rifles side by side. They're just not suitable.

All I have ever seen them used for is as a training aid when instructing troops on how to give firing orders or on lessons on aiming.. I never ever saw them being used to zero rifles.

We always called them aiming rests.

• Advertisement

Your full of it. Artificer my butt.

No need to be rude........

Maybe your right maybe at one point they were for zeroing rifles but they aren't for zeroing steyrs. Something more like Lee Enfields but could you imagine firing a .303 on top of one of them. Some of them are for two rifles side by side. They're just not suitable.

All I have ever seen them used for is as a training aid when instructing troops on how to give firing orders or on lessons on aiming.. I never ever saw them being used to zero rifles.

We always called them aiming rests.
    A rest is a rest, whether it is used to zero an enfield or a Styer is immaterial.

Yes they are old, older than the possession of styers here. However, I have seen a PDF artificer explain, how to zero a Styer with one of those tripods.

As I am not in the Southern brigade I can not comment on local ways, I have seen many quirky local names, and methods in brigade level from participating on several cross brigade courses I have seen several inaccurate pieces of info given out by word of mouth.

AUG army universal Gun being my pet peeve, referring to a HK USP as a BAP, a Nissan patrol as a landrover the list goes on.....

You should have also encountered inaccurate info down the years. Chinese whispers i like to call it ;)

Advertisement