Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pool Triathlon?

Options
  • 01-10-2010 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm doing a pool triathlon this Sunday and was looking for some advise. I've done seven triathlons but this will be my first pool Tri. Just wondering what is the best thing to wear, Tri shorts or Tri suit? Also what are the swim legs in a pool tri like and what is the normally time between competitor starts.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ir666

PWEI wrote: »
    Just wondering what is the best thing to wear, Tri shorts or Tri suit? Also what are the swim legs in a pool tri like and what is the normally time between competitor starts.
    Thanks in advance.

Wear the Tri Suit to save time in T1.

Try not to waste energy passing people out or trying to keep ahead of the guy behind you.

If you are in an appropriate group there should be no hassle.

When I did a pool tri, there was 5 of us. I lead out and the rest followed immediately.

OW is far more enjoyable imho.

Good luck with it.!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Tri suit is probably the best , on the 2-3 pool tris I have done the guys in your lane will probably ask whats your expected time at the start and based on this the fastest will go off 1st , followed a sec later by the next fastest and so on , generally works out fine unless you have someone who is slower than they thought in front of you and generally you will tap them on the heels and pass at the turn .Try and make sure you pitch yourself right in the group or you will end up going off too fast trying to stay ahead of a faster swimmer behind you- it will mess up your pace.
    Would also advise on counting your lenghts if possible , have been caught out with extra lenghts which is a pain.

Good luck and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Thanks a lot for the advise. There were four of us in my lane so we told each other our expected time and worked it out from there. Two of the lads were slower and the third guy was roughly the same as me so he let me go first.
    He was actually slightly faster than me though so I let him pass on the third length. It was 30 lengths of a 25m pool & I counted 30 lengths but the official said I only did 28 & made me do another two even though the lad who passed me out had already exited.:confused: Anyway it was only a fun event really so I didn't mind. Incidentally it was the Kildare triathlon at the Curragh Camp &
    it was a nice event to finish the end of the season. The cycle route through the Curragh was really enjoyable. I wouldn't be the biggest fan of the pool though, OW is definetly much more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

Can anyone tell me what's the rules on turning are?

I'm doing Kildare next week..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Moved from A/R/T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

shansey wrote: »

No flip/tumble turns allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »
    No flip/tumble turns allowed.

Ah the pandering to the lowest common denominator again.

"ooooooohhhh tumbles scare me"

(For the record I don't and cannot tumble but because I can't does not mean competent swimmers should be disadvantaged)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »

(For the record I don't and cannot tumble but because I can't does not mean competent swimmers should be disadvantaged)

Oh but tumble turns are dangerous ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

shansey wrote: »

No tumble turns

Pool tris are horrible :(
    Too hot, gasping

Just try and get on someones feet, even if they are faster than you and get towed along

Ha ha I fall into this category I think.. Can you propel yourself off the side wall of the pool with your feet?

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »

Just try and get on someones feet, even if they are faster than you and get towed along

best get in with a group a few mins faster than me so

mloc123 wrote: »
    Oh but tumble turns are dangerous ;)

They are when you try and do them.

Tango on the other hand - a few seconds faster per hundred tumbling rather than touching, why should the likes of him be disadvantaged? Nothing similar on bike and run

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

What is the correct procedure to pass someone out? Or if someone touches my feet what do i do? I've been told not to stop and keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

PWEI wrote: »
    Hi, I'm doing a pool triathlon this Sunday and was looking for some advise. I've done seven triathlons but this will be my first pool Tri. Just wondering what is the best thing to wear, Tri shorts or Tri suit? Also what are the swim legs in a pool tri like and what is the normally time between competitor starts.
    Thanks in advance.

How did you find out about this? Is it on triathlon ireland calendar?

JEmily wrote: »
    What is the correct procedure to pass someone out? Or if someone touches my feet what do i do? I've been told not to stop and keep going.

A touch on the toes means "I'm here I want to pass". Etiquette says stop at the wall the next time and let them past. This is both in training and racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

A touch on the toes means "I'm here I want to pass". Etiquette says stop at the wall the next time and let them past. This is both in training and racing.

Or... it means I am not used to swimming in a lane with other people and will slap your feet every time because I am drafting too close.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In a pool tri, the organisers sometimes allow passing mid lane, you should be told in the briefing. Its often one direction only. Otherwise stop at the end and let the person by. The lane counter may make you stop if your holding someone up. Usually when you do, you find they cant maintain their pace when not drafting you, and theyll be too slow. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

How did you find out about this? Is it on triathlon ireland calendar?

If you look at the date of my post it was three years ago.
    The thread was bumped up.

However there is a pool triathlon on this weekend in Killashee, it's on TI'S
    race calendar.

Advertisement