Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found kitten, vet costs

Options
  • 01-10-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi, I found an injured kitten on the way to work a couple of days ago, I thought it was just lost as it was across from a house, I didn't want it to get hit by a car so I stopped to carry it across the road but it had already been hit, it had some cuts but otherwise seemed fine. I brought it to the vet to be sure, went in to cover costs today, and was charged €96, is this excessive? It nice to help animals and I'm glad its ok but I didn't expect that!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Like medical, unfortunately veterinary care in this country is prohibitively expensive. Cannot say if €96 is too much as it depends on what investigations and procedures are carried out. For example did they x-ray him?

I certainly think the high cost of care is factor in the amount of animal neglect (particularly cats and dogs, largely because they are of no economic value) in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Hi, I found an injured kitten on the way to work a couple of days ago, I thought it was just lost as it was across from a house, I didn't want it to get hit by a car so I stopped to carry it across the road but it had already been hit, it had some cuts but otherwise seemed fine. I brought it to the vet to be sure, went in to cover costs today, and was charged €96, is this excessive? It nice to help animals and I'm glad its ok but I didn't expect that!

Good on ya for doing it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭newirishshogun

Thanks, just not a good week (when is it!) for spending money I didn't have to spare. Still, happy putty cat :)
    Dunno, I kinda expected that it'd be like if I found a person hit by a car and brought them to the hospital I wouldn't have to be liable, I expected to cover medicines if needed but it seemed steep. There were no x-rays needed it was cuts and bruises and it ate straight away and had no problems walking.
    Very few people can afford to spend €100 on non necessities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

That bill is pretty steep. Go back to the vet and ask him to itemise your bill and ask him what exactly you were charged for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Thanks, just not a good week (when is it!) for spending money I didn't have to spare. Still, happy putty cat :)
    Dunno, I kinda expected that it'd be like if I found a person hit by a car and brought them to the hospital I wouldn't have to be liable, I expected to cover medicines if needed but it seemed steep. There were no x-rays needed it was cuts and bruises and it ate straight away and had no problems walking.
    Very few people can afford to spend €100 on non necessities.

If that were the case people would take advantage of it and take their animals in saying they are strays. :( I agree with above poster go back in and get a receipt. Did they give you any painkillers or antibiotics for the kitten? €96 just for a consultation and a look over seems a bit expensive but if they gave any treatment such as injections, tablets etc. the cost can go up fast. For an examination just to be told the kitten is fine I would expect to pay about €40 to €50 not including any medication.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

It is steep, I found an injured kitten with a badly infected leg a month ago and was charged just €25 for antibiotic injection and worming, plus cleaning out of wound and general check up. It would have been €42 usually, but the vet knows my and my menagerie and gave me a discount for bringing in a stray.

Some vets charge €40 just to look at the animal and then add all the other treatments as extras, so that can mount up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Cat scans are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Cat scans are expensive.

:D:D

I could spay two female cats with 96 and still have 6 Euros left over. I agree: get an itemised bill and if you are not happy: http://www.vci.ie/.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭newirishshogun

He knew it wasn't mine, I've a dog I bring there, felt he was expensive but wasn't quite sure, I am now. I received no drugs for the kitten, It wasnt mine it was a stray I found. What I dont like is that in the future I'll have to think about wheter I can afford to rescue an injured animal, sad to say but its a fact that money is limited and my family has to have priority.

Advertisement