Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you can recommend hairdressers/ beauticians, why cant we recommend therapists!!

• 01-10-2010 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone tell me why we cant recommend or grade a psychologst or other mental health therapist here or anywhere?

I think there is so little help with this, having experienced unhelpful psychologists/cbt therapists/hypnotherapists that I thought would help me with a particular problem, I have paid a fortune and still have got no help.

When you try and get help you are told just pick one and try it, but one session alone is up to 90 euro!! Its ridiculous, especially at times like this.

I have went to my GP with this and they are a complete joke also, mad to give you medication, when you do finally get to see a psychiatrist, they also try to medicate you and send you to a nurse counsellor that doesnt really help either.

Mental health in Ireland is a complete joke, no wonder the sucide rate is so high here, trying to get help is such a struggle and so expensive.

It would make it so much easier if people could recommend someone in particular and say what problems the psych has helped them with.

If you can recommend hairdressers/ beauticians, why cant we recommend therapists!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Can someone tell me why we cant recommend or grade a psychologst or other mental health therapist here or anywhere?........If you can recommend hairdressers/ beauticians, why cant we recommend therapists!!

The titles "psychologist", "therapist", "counsellor", "etc. are not legally protected yet in Ireland. This means that anyone can call themselves any variation of any of the above without breaking any regulations or laws.

In light of the generally serious nature of the kinds of difficulties that people have when they wish to attend a psychologist/counsellor/therapist, it would be irresponsible and potentially hazardous for a forum such as this to permit personal recommendations for psychologists. The concern is that someone might take a personal recommendation from this forum (if such a thing were to be permitted) and subsequently attend the individual recommended and then came to harm due to the (potentially) non-professional nature of the treatment provided.

The typical reponse here is to go to your GP. This is because most GP's will know a local provider of psychological services who is appropriately trained.

If you get a bad hairdresser or beautician, the consequences, although unpleasant, are not usually life-threatening ;)

Advertisement