Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help please!advice on getting 540ish points

• 01-10-2010 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Im really stressing out so much Im in sixth year and idealy looking for 540-550 points and it just feels so unattainable! Im doing about 3 to 3 and a half hours per evening but it just feels like theres too much to be done!
    If anyone here could give me any advice on my subjects or what I should be doing Id appreciate it...Ive already read through all the other study threads btw..
    All honours but think im dropping to pass french:
    maths
    french
    irish
    english
    home ec
    chem
    economics
    biol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Past papers, past papers, past papers...!

Try and get your hands on some past mock papers as well...!

Maths - Do all the questions you can find on each topic (maybe even get a 2nd text book just for the questions)
    French - Practice the written section and ask your teacher to correct them (maybe hand up 3 or 4 at a time). Look up every word you don't understand in the comprehension and learn it. Practice speaking and listening to French.
    Irish - I'm terrible at Irish so can't really help but maybe follow my advice for French?
    English - Read.. lots! Write as many essays as you can. Write about as much topics as you can think of on Hamlet. Know your comparative texts inside out.
    Home Ec - I don't do it but again.. Past papers!
    Chemistry - Know your experiments. Practice writing them, drawing them, watching them on youtube.
    Economics - Same as Home Ec.
    Biology - Same as Chemistry.

Don't be afraid to give questions to your teacher to correct.. It's what they're there for! :p

Now all I need to do is take my own advice..! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

Its not like college where you can bribe and sleep with the lectures etc

You just have to do the work i'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Answer between 85% and 90% of the questions in 6 of your subjects correctly in the exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Answer between 85% and 90% of the questions in 6 of your subjects correctly in the exam.
    Are you just prowling around threads on the LC forum making pointless, smart assed comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Infracted; pointless smart remarks like that offer nothing to this forum. Don't post if you have nothing constructive to offer.
    Are you just prowling around threads on the LC forum making pointless, smart assed comments?

If you have a problem with a post, report it. Don't address issues with other users on thread.

• Advertisement

I think the answer is self evident. Sorry if it offended you. :D

Seriously though, my comment was not just a display of my extraordinary wit, but rather a comment on the ridiculousness of the question. The OP knows perfectly well that the answer is to work hard, if such a level is above where they currently are. Nobody can provide a formula to get 540+ points, if they could, they would make a fortune (and cause extreme grade inflation, as everyone would have 540+.

The probable truth is, if you are doing 3-3.5 hrs per evening at this stage, and continue to do so throughout the year, and don't suffer a massive panic attack near exam time, you will definitely achieve very close to your maximum potential. If that is not 540+, there really is nothing you can do about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Best of luck, OP! I got 545, which is around what you're looking for! My main piece of advice is to work consistently from the start of the year, don't leave it all to the end (my favourite justification is 'I don't know it fully now but I will by the time the LC comes around' - don't fall into this laziness).

Also do exam papers over and over, preferably handing them up to your teacher (I used to do this all the time in Geography and it is most definitely the reason I got an A2). Make sure you know the marking scheme inside and out too.

For Maths, just keep doing exam papers until you're blue in the face! I personally loved Maths, but it can be a bit hit and miss with people, but you can do well even if you don't like it.

Don't worry too much about French. I hated French (and Irish for that matter) so I didn't bother studying it much coming up to the exam (why waste time on something I wasn't counting as my best 6 when I could do other subjects?) - not that I recommend doing this as the start of the year, but nearer the date - don't get too caught up on one subject at the expense of another!

Be careful about 'choosing' your best 6 in advance though, when my LC results came out I had a few surprising results - I didn't do as well in Physics as I had hoped, and had done better in Irish than I expected, so I ended up counting Irish as part of my best 6, which I hadn't planned on doing (I did 8 subjects, but hated Irish and French).

Best of luck - sorry I can't be more helpful or specific!

Also don't go on boards or allhonours to see what the mock questions are - it was a HUGE mistake that I made. It's tempting when you start to get panicked about what's coming up though, but just don't do it. Ignore your friends if they try and tell you what's coming up either - just say that you'd rather not know!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

What course do you want to do? Play the long game. Check to see if there is an alternative route to your ultimate career goal that may require 400 points but may take a year or two longer because of for example a required masters after your first degree. Knowing you have a safety net will release the pressure and you will perform better.

Advertisement