Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morning Ireland : Rachael English and Aoife Kavanagh join the team

• 01-10-2010 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

New faces for Morning Ireland team
    Friday 1 October 2010
    It has been announced that Aoife Kavanagh and Rachael English have joined the Morning Ireland presenting team. RTÉ News and Current Affairs said the pair would be part of the team from next Monday. They have both been presenting the programme on a regular basis recently.

Rachael and Aoife will continue with their current roles in radio and television with Rachel working on Saturday View on RTÉ Radio 1 and Aoife remaining on Prime Time on RTÉ One.They will join Cathal MacCoille and Aine Lawlor who co-present the show each weekday morning from 7.00am to 9.00am on RTÉ Radio 1.

Not really sure what's going on here.. Are they job sharing now, or will the four of them be sitting around the studio. In this environment they must be the only public service company actually hiring... Why waste Rachael on this, give her Marian's job ffs.. a blind man could see that is the obvious (money saving) thing for the organisation to do,

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I find Rachael easy to listen to in the morning, Aoife's OK too.

RTÉ seem to have become much more flexible with work/shift patterns. The same people are cropping up in different places on different shows a lot.

I presume they have 'joined the team' because Richard Downes left for America, and John Murray left for 9 o'clock. So they didn't really hire anybody new at all, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Not really sure what's going on here.. Are they job sharing now, or will the four of them be sitting around the studio.

It was 2 out of 3 on any given day, now it will be 2 out of 4. English will be a really good addition, kavanagh not so much.

Looks like a reaction to recent criticism that RTE radio didn't have enough female presenters.

Rubik. wrote: »
    It was 2 out of 3 on any given day, now it will be 2 out of 4. English will be a really good addition, kavanagh not so much.
    Was it not 2 of 4; Áine Lawlor, Cathal MacCoille, John Murray and Richard Downes?

Now it's 2 of Áine Lawlor, Aoife Kavanagh, Rachael English and Cathal MacCoille.
    Rubik. wrote: »
    Looks like a reaction to recent criticism that RTE radio didn't have enough female presenters.
    Good point. Looks like they're trying to sandwich all the men during the day in between Morning Ireland and Drivetime with Mary Wilson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

dambarude wrote: »
    Was it not 2 of 4; Áine Lawlor, Cathal MacCoille, John Murray and Richard Downes?

Now it's 2 of Áine Lawlor, Aoife Kavanagh, Rachael English and Cathal MacCoille.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot about Murray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Aaah good old Aoife, she of the enthusiastic lively voice and brimming over with the joys of life and putting passion and spirit and nuance into every segment.

:cool::cool:

What freq. is Newstalk on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Presumably Aoife and Rachel are replacing Richard Downes (who became RTEs US correspondent) and John Murray (who has his own show now).

It really is ridiculous to have 4 presenters for this programme - not to mention other regular stand ins they have. And what about the business, news, sports and weather presenters, as well as the paper review person - I think they could get away with only 1 Morning Ireland presenter.

Aine and Cathal seem to only work 2 or 3 days a week. God they have it have handy in RTE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 SirPeter

Rachel and Aine are cut from the same tree. They both have that strident, harsh monotone accent which I find so irritating I can listen to neither!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Drives me nuts when the Morning Ireland team read the headlines, then the newsreader comes on and reads the same headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Rather boring.:eek:Like a dead haddock.

Total disaster in a fast moving news show.

No vitality, no liveliness in her voice, just total monotone and RTE have made a stupid mistake inserting her in that slot.

Excellent contributor in other fields, but this poster will be putting the splayed thumb on the off button if she gets an extended starring role in MI.

Not suited at all in my opinion.

Totally unsuitable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think Aoife is quite attractive, but she has a very boring monotone voice..

0003c05d-314.jpg

Seeing a picture of the team really enforces what Rubik. said:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

0003c05d-314.jpg

Who's who in that photo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

0003c05d-314.jpg
    Left To Right, Rachael English, Cathal McCoille, Aine Lawlor, Aoife Kavanagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

0003c05d-314.jpg

So now I know why these are on the radio and not the tv.

You've obviously never watched the 9 O'clock news:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Was 'watching' Morning Ireland this morning on the RTE NL channel (?) in my hotel room this morning. A new one for the express.

Interesting to watch the visual nudges between the two as correspondents and spokespeople came and went.

Ms. Lalor very much the 'mother hen' of the operation.

First time to see the show in action; amusing to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

Don't like Aoife Kavanagh on Morning Ireland at all. She's incredibly rude to those she's interviewing, and acts bored almost as if from the first sentence of any particular item. The other presenters, if they're on form, will interrupt a speaker to emphasize a point or will try to expose any spin being put on a story but she just comes across as obnoxious and uninterested in what anyone has to say.

Wester wrote: »
    Don't like Aoife Kavanagh on Morning Ireland at all. She's incredibly rude to those she's interviewing, and acts bored almost as if from the first sentence of any particular item. The other presenters, if they're on form, will interrupt a speaker to emphasize a point or will try to expose any spin being put on a story but she just comes across as obnoxious and uninterested in what anyone has to say.

Always has, deadest monotone voice from beginning to end, not suited for that show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Rachel English is one of RTE's gems.

Good to have her back during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Rachael English is very good but her voice does annoy me it's she needs water all the time it really grates with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Why don't they somehow modify the microphones on Morning Ireland, so when interviewees are talking, we don't have to listen to the presenters breathing into the microphones? Or their chairs squeaking as they lean back? It's all a little distracting. Especially when you listen on headphones.

I have never noticed the background sounds on any other radio show, except for Drive Time (RTE again, hmmm...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

vibrant wrote: »
    Why don't they somehow modify the microphones on Morning Ireland, so when interviewees are talking, we don't have to listen to the presenters breathing into the microphones? Or their chairs squeaking as they lean back? It's all a little distracting. Especially when you listen on headphones.

I have never noticed the background sounds on any other radio show, except for Drive Time (RTE again, hmmm...)

I noticed that too. There was a background noise that used to do drive me nuts on Morning Ireland.

I couldn't for the life of me make out what it was until I logged on to their webcam one morning.

And then it became obvious. The noise was created by the presenters flicking through the days newspapers.

Oddly, once I knew what caused the distraction, it stopped bothering me !

I may be wrong but I reckon the same studio is used for Drive Time.

Advertisement