Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To move or not to move irish class?

• 01-10-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi Im in 6th year,

Im currently in the B irish class and have never considered Irish to be my strongest subject. In the B class I think I will get a B3 at most. The work is never forced onto us and the atmosphere is too relaxed if you know what I mean. I can move to the A if I want but I have doubts:

A) the teacher is strict and if Im lagging behind will I be doing more damage than what I could learn in the B which is going at a slower pace.

B) Im concerned about being totally lost as the whole class is conducted in Irish.

C) I will have much more extra work such as extra classes etc.

I have the A class notes which I could learn off in the B class but I dont understand a lot of it.

I could go in there and try to stay on top of things or settle on getting a B2 at best at the moment in the B stream. What do you recommend. I think I could move back down if I found the A too difficult but I dont want to switch back because I will look stupid. Please advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭samapp

57 views and not 1 reply! please help c'mon guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Your school has graded classes? :O

Anyway go for the A class if you feel it will be beneficial! Switch back if you must, don't worry about looking stupid, nobody cares and it's your leaving cert. you're talking about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Switch, even listening to all the Irish will be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

There's only one higher Irish class in my year and there's nine of us doing it.. And it makes me worry a lot when I see that in other schools everything is done through Irish in their class. We do it mostly through English. Plus I'd say only four people in my class could manage a B.. It's really not good for me cos I'm going for the A and everyone else in the class barely know any iriah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

!!! wrote: »
    Your school has graded classes? :O
    Many schools have graded classes. There are arguments for and against but in my school, we find that the stronger students need this for core subjects in particular. It works well for these students, but can often work badly for the weaker students, who take a relaxed attitude to studying without stronger students. I sit on the fence when it comes to this as i can see the benefits for the stronger pupils.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

In my school, we have 5 irish classes, 3 higher level, with 3 useless teachers, 2 OL with 2 great teachers, and another great teacher doesnt have any irish class at all . . . .dont know who made our timetable and assigned teachers but they really made a balls of it . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

OP, without a shadow of a doubt move up. You've absolutely nothing to lose. The best Irish teacher I ever had taught the class through Irish and of course I hadn't a clue what she was saying at first... but as the weeks passed it all sort of clicked and the oral was just so so much easier, I wasn't nervous at all going in.

Will you regret it if you don't do it?

Advertisement