Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 7MB Broadband Problem

• 01-10-2010 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello guys and gals,

I was looking at the following topic:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63459137

I recently got a call from Eircom offering an upgrade from our current 3MB package to a 7MB package, which I decided to avail of.

They switched it over on Monday, now the router settings have been changed, which I will ist below. I tried to test the new speed on monday afternoon, a 100MB file downloaded at 260kbps, the same as when I had the 3MB. I carried out a few tests on http://www.speedtest.net and found the results to be averaging as:

Download - 5Mb/S
    Upload - 0.31Mb/s
    Ping - 51ms

My router details are:

Speed - 7168/384 (kbps)
    Line attenuation - 22/13 dB

I know, and was told I should be getting speeds of say 6mb/s, but it is still 3mb/s. A friend suggested that my Netopia ( Model Number - 3347NWG) may only be capable of handling 256kbps per channel, and he suggested I may need an "adsl2" router.

I phoned Eircom Broadband support today and was told I would not get a 7mb signal as I may be to far from the host (I live in Donegal), I asked was it the router and he said yes at first and then when I asked what I needed to do and he said it was not the router! He then said if he bumped the signal to 7mb, it would continously become intermitent.

I was under the impression the guy did not know what was up, wether it was the router or not, the router is old, perhaps 3 or 4 years or more, I do not see the point in paying so much for 7MB broadband when I cannot avail of its benefits.

Any help or comments would be great, I may ring them next week again to see what another technician says. Sorry for so much writing, just wanted to explain best I could.

Regards,

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

newer ever believe what your net supplier tells you, if thats solid 5mb i would be happy m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Eye of Orion

Ye, but would a solid 5mb not give me a DL speed of about 500kbp/s speed instead of the old and current one of 260 ish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Am less than two miles from Waterford city and I vary between 4 and 5 mb .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Download this file

http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/SAMlinux/iso/SAM2008-claw-rc1.iso

Let it run for a minute or two and post back your download speed

nuxxx wrote: »
    Download this file

http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/SAMlinux/iso/SAM2008-claw-rc1.iso

Let it run for a minute or two and post back your download speed

Wow, 700mb, is this a speed test in itself?! Haha, thanks, what does it do tho?

• Advertisement

Ok, I have downloaded that file but PowerISO keeps getting an "unexpected end of file found" error. Overall it will not seem to mount

600mb of a waste? OOr is there a trick in extracting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

As per post above : Let it run for a minute or two and post back your download speed

twinsen wrote: »
    As per post above : Let it run for a minute or two and post back your download speed

Per my comment, I cannot get it to mount, let alone run, any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

He means: tell us what speed the file downloads at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Wow, 700mb, is this a speed test in itself?! Haha, thanks, what does it do tho?

It is a download test. You can just delete it once it's downloaded,you don't need to do anything with it.

• Advertisement

He means: tell us what speed the file downloads at.

But I cannot get that file to work, I downloaded it twice, and neither PowerISO, Daemon Tools or Alcohol will mount it, so I cannot get it to run and tell you what figures it gives me

It is a download test. You can just delete it once it's downloaded,you don't need to do anything with it.

Ah crap, really sorry guys, will DL it again and let you know!

Ok it is staying between 320 to 400kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Sorry to hijack this thread but have a question. I'm currently on Eircom 7MB NGB and I want to go to this new €42 a month bundle which has 5MB NGB. Would there be a big difference? I have no way of proving that I'm getting 7MBs. Thats just what they told me.

Advertisement