Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berbatov vs Stoichkov Uncle Bulgarias finest

• 01-10-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Berbatov
    He is distinctive for his skillful, seemingly effortless style of play, which has earned him praise but also a perception as being "lazy".[5]
    €30.75 million worth of player imo not good enough for Man United, i expect a certain class of player there and in that role hes not good enough for Untied. Kinda harsh on him hes a very good player just needs to play in a system that suits him oddly him in that Barca team would be a good fit.

Stoichkov
    A proper footballer, imagine Le Tissier but better like capable of doing it vs anyone be it CL or WC. Serious hero of mine. Sorry United fans but his raping of Man Utd in tha 4-0 is one of the best performances by his type of player. The lazy gifted cba tracking back just give him the ball type of player.

He then moved on to Barcelona, where he was part of Johan Cruyff's 'Dream Team', Stoichkov helped Barcelona to one of the most successful era of the club, winning the Primera Division four years in a row between 1991 and 1994 and the European Cup after defeating Sampdoria in 1992.

im kinda biased here but threads like this need to exist on the soccer forum, the Raul Del Piero on is genius its a thread where noone is wrong :)

Who is better In your opinion? 13 votes

Berbatoc
    0%
    Stoichkov
    100%
    TheDocNailzVic Vinegars_carnageDave Ddoyler442That_GuykillwillDBCycNemanja91DOC09UNAMVW 1sob1467 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I think that in the remote possibility that anyone voted for berbatov, they simply could not have seen stoichkov. Other possibilities might be insanity or blindness tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

daithijjj wrote: »
    I think that in the remote possibility that anyone voted for berbatov, they simply could not have seen stoichkov. Other possibilities might be insanity or blindness tbh.

The Romario vs Ronaldo one should be interesting :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Stoichkov
    I voted for Berbatov, cos i'm kind of biased too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Hristo Stoichkov was the ultimate flawed genius although the flaw was - similar to Berbatov - just being a bit lazy and complacent at times. As a footballer he was unbelievable. Hanging idly on the left touchline just waiting for the ball and when he got it you were wondering what sort of unbelievable stuff will happen next. He was my favourite player at the time together with Savicevic. Some team that was too that Barcelona team with Romario and also Laudrup and Koeman at the back to name just a few. One touch football from goal to goal.

They were very different footballers though. Stoichkov only had a left foot and he played left winger/midfielder and he wasn't much hanging around the 6 yard box while Berba is an out and out striker of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Sorry United fans but his raping of Man Utd in tha 4-0 is one of the best performances by his type of player.

Gary Walsh in goal... So shush. :D

Would probably go with Stoichkov for his 1st stint with Barca.They might be good threads but they are not matching like for like players in any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

It's not even comparable imo. Stoichkov when playing was consistently one of the best players in the world. Stoichkov everytime, and even if I'm biased, Berbatov isn't fit to lace Hristo's boots lads, seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this isn't even a contest.

not a close one anyway.

no disrespect meant to Berba, but i reckon even he, a Bulgarian, would be embarrassed to be put in the same class as Stoichkov. he's achieved nothing to deserve it other than be Bulgarian.

Stoichkov played in one of the great Barca teams, and was regularly one of the star performers, and lead his national team to a World CUp semi-final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I'll wait til Berbs has retired to compare the 2, Stoichkov was class. He made staying up late watching World Cup 1994 a pleasure. Great player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Could we try to compare similar players next time maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Stoichkov
    Who's better?

Casillas, or ronaldo?

I voted for berbatov simply because the options are terrible, and I have never seen the other guy play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Stoichkov is one of the greatest footballers of the 90s. Once in a lifetime player for a country like Bulgaria and I'm sure their fans would say the same. He is on a different level to Berba.

It's a bit like asking who's better, Hagi or Mutu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Haha what a rubbish poll.

Who is better, Kevin Doyle or Glenn Crowe? Both Irish afterall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I have no idea how or why this thread started!! But anyone who votes Berbatov is either fourteen or a retard!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Stoichkov
    monkey9 wrote: »
    I have no idea how or why this thread started!! But anyone who votes Berbatov is either fourteen or a retard!!
    I take offence at being called a retard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I take offence at being called a retard.

Alright, fair enough. But please YouTube Stoichkov! The only comparison i can see is they're both Bulgarian. It's like comparing Dalglish to James Mcfadden!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stoichkov is one of the greatest footballers of the 90s. Once in a lifetime player for a country like Bulgaria and I'm sure their fans would say the same. He is on a different level to Berba.

Really Hagi vs Stoichkov would have been a much better contest.

Stoichkov was a legend. I was only a young lad when he was playing but he was my favourite player. I still have a junior size barca jersey with his name in the back somewhere at home.

Berbatov isnt fit to be mentioned on the same page as Stoichkov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Berbatov isnt fit to be mentioned on the same page as Stoichkov.

In a Bulgarian context surely he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Stoichkov all the way... berbatov shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence unless that sentence is " berbatov shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as stoichkov".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stoichkov is among the best I've ever seen, he wouldn't make a world all time 11 but he would be in the next 11 imo. He was also one of the best free kick takers ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I have no bother with these polls when theres at least a genuine debate to be had such a the Raul/del Piero one. But this one is completely pointless as you're comparing one very good striker with one of the best of his generation.

Seeme to me the OP is just using it as an excuse to take a thinly veiled pit shot at Berbatov in the hope that others will do so too.

Sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I think that the biggest problem here (apart from a gulf in class) is that the two players were from two different eras. I only just about remember Hristo Stoichkov, and only then just flashes from World Cup 94. I'm 22, btw.

I think that anyone who could really remember Hristo Stoichkov is someone who would have been around 10 or 11 when Stoichkov was with Barca (starting in, say, 1992), meaning they'd be 28/29 now. Anyone younger than that (like me) would have trouble remembering Stoichkov and would obviously not be able to deliver a good judgement of him.

Berbatov and Stoichkov are/were also two very different kinds of players, making it very hard to compare the two; Stoichkov was a winger and at times a second striker. He roamed around the wing and played behind the centre forwards and conjured up moments of genius on the wing.

Berba is a centre forward. Simple. He's never on the wing. He conjures up moments of genius, but mostly in the penalty area and they can be absolutely sublime and spectacular (see his second goal against Liverpool this season for more evidence).

Two class players, yes... but who's only similarity is that they are both from Bulgaria!!! Maybe that they were both attacking players, but far too different to compare accurately.

I'd be interested to see a poll/thread comparing Goalkeepers, tbh. And goalkeepers of the same era too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Well said, and by a united fan. Close thread. It is pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Stoichkov and Romario, perhaps one of the greatest striker partnerships ever... before they started hating each other:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Stoichkov and Romario, perhaps one of the greatest striker partnerships ever... before they started hating each other:pac:

Ya that was some partnership alright. 2 totally brilliant players and both of them had an attitude problem. Up there with the best partnerships of all time and unmarkable when on song.

Btw this thread is one of the worst ive seen in a while - absolutely no comparison between Stoichkov and Berbatov. It is actually an insult to Stoichkov to even compare them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

wise mature heads are a common absence from this forum tbh..I dont think many here would have seen hristo, certainly none growing up in the 'Chelsea r us' era anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

flahavaj wrote: »
    Seeme to me the OP is just using it as an excuse to take a thinly veiled pit shot at Berbatov in the hope that others will do so too.

Sad really.

In your opinion, Berbatov is Bulgarias all time top scorer and only other bulgarian to come close to Stoichkov. Also both left bitterly in regards to the international setup and i read something about them that day.

But you have a whinge cos someone said something you dont like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

As well as having oodles of class, Stoichkov was such a high-octane player. Always busy, always wanting the ball and to get involved; Berba could really do with some of that energy.

greendom wrote: »
    As well as having oodles of class, Stoichkov was such a high-octane player. Always busy, always wanting the ball and to get involved; Berba could really do with some of that energy.

WTF?! :confused: Stoichkov was horrendously lazy at times. Did you ever see him play? Don't mistake explosive for busy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

WTF?! :confused: Stoichkov was horrendously lazy at times. Did you ever see him play? Don't mistake explosive for busy!

Well it was a while ago of course but whenever I saw him play for Barca he seemed incredibly busy. Lazy was never a word I would associate with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

He could be a toxic influence too if he was feeling troublesome. But he is about 20 times the player Berbatov is and that is not really a slight on Berbatov. Stoichkov is one of the best players of the past 25 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Why is there loads of this **** comparison threads cropping up?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just to make a change from the **** "List your favourite XI" threads I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Why is there loads of this **** comparison threads cropping up?

It is obviously fun to compare wildly different players from different eras and reach a non-conclusive truce that people have different opinions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Stoichkov by a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Stupid thread, a bit like comparing Roy Keane to Glen Whelan....... they both played for their country, but there's a bit of a gulf in class!

Now, who are the 12 Man United fans that voted for Berbatov (not even spelled right, lol)? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Stoichkov

Bit of a downy comment yourself in fairness, there is every possability that alot of people havnt seen the other bloke or don't know who he is, I literally enver heard of him until this thread.

I'm going to vote Berbatov because I think he is outstanding and displays some qualities in a player I havnt admired since Bergkamp. His ball control, change in direction and linkup play and creativity is tremendous.

He is starting to show more glimpses of it this season if only he could do it some more.

I used to idolise Dennis Bergkamp and when he left the game I never really grew attached to any other player, until I saw Berbatov arrive at totenham and was an instant fan.

As a Leeds united supporter, I have a Manchester United jersey with him on the back.

Though I would bow to the elders who can remember early 90's football and would regard the other bloke as better, there is every chance you are correct.

but being that Berbatov is bulgarias all time top goalscorer, it is not in the realm of outragous to ask the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

TheDoc wrote: »
    As a Leeds united supporter, I have a Manchester United jersey with him on the back.

^^^^^^^^^^

Does not compute.

Advertisement