Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Question

• 01-10-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

I have a question in relation to second taking second wives, a family member a has just told us all that her husband is getting married to another woman. Altough its none of my business I am just confused as to how most muslim women would feel about this. How common is this? As I really havent seen this among other muslims that i know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

I have a question in relation to second taking second wives, a family member a has just told us all that her husband is getting married to another woman. Altough its none of my business I am just confused as to how most muslim women would feel about this. How common is this? As I really havent seen this among other muslims that i know.

I know my wife would not stand for it, lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Someone with more experience may be able to give more details. But as I understand it you need approval from your other wives, you also need to prove you can support the other wives before you can be legally married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Hobbes wrote: »
    Someone with more experience may be able to give more details. But as I understand it you need approval from your other wives, you also need to prove you can support the other wives before you can be legally married.

Yup, that's true. Also you have to treat all wives the same. That means if you buy a car for one, you have to buy the same for for all of them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Yup, that's true. Also you have to treat all wives the same. That means if you buy a car for one, you have to buy the same for for all of them!

Can I ask a question about Mohammad's wive Aisha?

It was suggest to me by you that the question had been asked and answered in this forum some time ago. I came to this forum and asked.

I was referred to this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055938992

That thread mentions [unsupported in post 6] a single source of a man in Iraq.
    This reference is in error because it is contradicted and unsupported.

Hivsman in post 8 mentions wikipedia which use references to hadiths which I offered as references in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056048436

I asked again and I was banned for posting a source which was deemed "anti Islam"

I only posted that source because that is where I came across those hadiths some time ago. I was interested in asking about it at the time but never got around to it. It is when Irishconvert posted in another forum the question came back to me

It still isn't clear to me what Muslims actually believe. I still don't have a clear answer.

What do they believe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

ISAW please do not hijack other peoples threads. Your question was done numerous times before. A quick search of "Aisha" shows up 31 threads on the subject.

Your last thread was also answered. There is no *one* belief on the subject matter. Please do not continue that topic in this thread (derailing from the OP). Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Many moons ago as I was having tea with an Iraqi family, I was asked if I was married. For the sake of keeping the whole girlfriend issue simple, I just said 'Yes, I have a wife'. The family matriarch, who obviously saw an opportunity for one of her daughters with this fine, handsome Westerner, inquired if I might be interested in a second wife. Maybe, even, an Iraqi girl. I pointed out that if I went home with a second wife, the first wife would leave me, and then I'd get thrown in jail as having two wives is illegal. The look of horror on her face was manifest. How could such an advanced and great country as the US be so backward and barbaric as to deny a man the honour and pleasure of a second wife?!

Later I befriended a Pakistani officer who was attending a course with me in Ft Knox. The topic came up, he just had the one wife. No particular objections to multiple wives, and a few of his colleagues had them, but it wasn't for him: Just dealing with one was difficult enough!

NTM

Advertisement