Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design & Communication Graphics Tips & Tricks

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Flex123

how many parts can you include for the concept?

the minimum is 5 at higher level... but there is no maximum.
    and it took me a good couple of weeks to do the psp. only 2 days or so to do the new concept.
    but i spent alot of time on the psp going over the tiniest of details. literlly mm perfection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Any chance you can post your output 1 and 2 cos i seriously dont know what im doing there and my teacher is a bit simple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clo51

hi, does anyone know in assemblies in solid works, how do you mate a piece so that it can turn but only a certain amount, as in it doesnt turn all the way around? is there any way of doing this? im doing the circular tomtom mount and the top piece turns a certain amount but it doesnt turn the whole way around? any ideas? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 WreckinBar

clo51 wrote: »
    hi, does anyone know in assemblies in solid works, how do you mate a piece so that it can turn but only a certain amount, as in it doesnt turn all the way around? is there any way of doing this? im doing the circular tomtom mount and the top piece turns a certain amount but it doesnt turn the whole way around? any ideas? :D

As far as I know and from what my DCG teacher has told me, you don't need to do actual moving parts, only the Sat Nav and Bracket put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bugsbunny94

Flex123 wrote: »
    Okay firstly sorry about not replying to everyone. For some reason i stopped getting email notifications about everything.

In relation to page numbers etc.

Here is my recommendation followed by reasons.

- Output 1 = 1 Page
    - Output 2 = 2 Pages
    - Output 3 = 1 Page
    - Output 4 = CD
    - Output 5 = 3 Pages
    - Output 6 = 1 Page
    - Output 7 = 3 Pages
    - Output 8 = 1 Page
    - Output 9 = 2/3 Pages

Reasons

Output 1 is a quick and concise Output. You are doing a quick run through on the history of Sat. Nav.s
    With a couple a line or two on each one you look at.
    Using more than 1 page will take away from the number of pages you use on more crucial outputs.

Output 2 needs to be more detailed. You have to compare two Sat. Nav.s Not just quickly but you have to compare the primary and secondary features.
    eg. Aesthetics, Ergonomics, What material are they made from, Colour, Sound, Different internal features, Battery and charging, How are they stored in car (Docking), Touch Screen, Memory, Shape, Size, Weight, Buttons etc.
    Each person will use different ones from this list and maybe others I didnt mention depending on the Sat. Nav's they've chosen.
    You also have to freehand sketch the things you write and compare.
    You definitely will need 2 pages to do this properly.
    3 Pages will be a waste of time.

Output 3 Marking scheme doesn't give you a choice now does it?
    1 Page

Output 5 1 page should go towards orthographic views.
    1 page towards exploded view
    1 page towards fully rendered view.
    Remember to zoom in on all detailed areas. To show front, back, side views. Views at weird angles etc.
    Rendered views on each page. The last page should be alot of bigger sizes.
    Also include a Key and table. Like the one you see on instruction manuals.
    With a number off each part you've draw.
    Eg. have a buble coming out of the screen with the number 1. Then have a table to the side saying. 1 Screen. DO this for all the pieces you make.
    If you do this right 3 pages will barely be enough.

Output 6 1 page. Look at marking scheme.

Output 7 3 pages. Ill explain this later. just trust me 3 pages will be needed.

Output 8 1 Page

Output 9 3 pages. This is like joining Outputs 5 & 6 in one page less.

Hey ouput 7? i need help! My 1st page is a mood board.. A little confussed about what to put on the next 2 pages! I have my ideas but i dont knw waht exactly to do with them,like layout and that.. do i use the 2 pages to explain them? (2 on each page) +1 ??? Plz help!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Just wondering if anyone knows if the quality of the paper matters?
    The printer in our school can't handle the 120GSM heavy paper, it messes up the pictures. So I had to print out my stuff on sh1te paper instead.

If I put some black card behind it to make it stronger would it matter? Could I use card that's a tiny bit bigger than A3 so you can see it on the outside, kinda like a border?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

5 Star - Brilliant thread. Couldn't have done my project without it!!!
    Flex man, where have u gone????
    You havent posted in ages and im sure i speak on everyones behalf in saying we cud really use ur tips now.
    so please come back!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

3 Star - Okay thread. Didn't make a difference really.
    MikeHough wrote: »
    Flex man, where have u gone????
    You havent posted in ages and im sure i speak on everyones behalf in saying we cud really use ur tips now.
    so please come back!!!!!!!!!!!

Just read the student handbook and chief examiners report, most of what he says echoes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

From the brief i dont really understand what i need to do for part b (sketching parts)

:S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sharks93

is it true they put the due date back a month?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

sharks93 wrote: »
    Is it true they put the due date back a month?

Yes, the finishing date is now Friday 18th February. See this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056125048

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭DufferO8

Flex123 wrote: »
    okay firstly id like to apologise for the delays in getting back to people who have PM'd me. I'm still not finished replying to everyone but i'm doing as much as i can.

I've been able to get my hands on some of the work i done last year.
    Output 1 and 2 and the actual solidworks outputs for the new concept and the normal one.

But right now im going to talk about how to do output 7.
    OUTPUT 7
    Page 1
    The first thing to do is choose a subject that interests you. Example could be sport (preferable choose something more original).
    Other examples of what i remember people choosing last year from my class include
    - buildings
    - cars
    - a certain architects work
    - a city
    - a religion
    - the moon (a VERY good choice, im serious)
    - Tour de France (The race)
    - Boats
    - nature
    - Anime
    Choose something that interests you. It can be anything at all. A certain type of sport, it can be money, drugs, a colour, a team, a type of plant, a solar system, a tv programme.

Just choose something at random which personally interests you.

Okay now what you do is make a mood board.
    Im attaching a mood board my little brother done for his J.C. woodwork brief last year. (Okay so i did put it together for him but it took me less than half an hour. Its a bit shabby but its J.C level. Your Mood Board should be Much better)

For your mood board go onto google images and search whatever your theme is. Copy and paste your pictures onto microsoft word.

(to move your pics around on Word, click on each individual picture, -> Format->Text Wrap->In Front of Text
    Now you can move the pics around and position them. Also putting a black border around each pic makes it nicer.)

Now your mood board should take up the whole page. You need at least 50 pictures, or the same that i put for my little bro.

That is one page out of output 7 down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Page 2
    On the next page the next page have the following headings
    Theme
    Target Market
    Location/Environment

IT is important that every heading is there.
    Write a line or two, very brief, under each one.
    Eg - Theme - Nature
    Target Market - Young adult drivers, mainly female. (or whoever your aiming your product at.)
    Message - (The Message you want to give people through your product, make a catchy phrase here)
    Key words - organic, fresh, clean, green, (words associated with the New concept, remember its maybe 7/8 words only here. Do not explain why you chose the words)
    Location/Environment - (Where your new concept will be used)

Stick this list on the part of your second page.
    Now from your theme go a bit deeper. if you choose cars for example now chose a type of car, or if you choose nature chose a type of leaf.
    Now most of your second page should be still empty (80% or so if not more)
    Put in more pics of whatever your looking indepth at. Not just from google etc but make sure you do as much free hand sketching on this page as possible.
    The pics on this page should be much less, maybe 10/15. and should be bigger. Make sure to fill in all the space with sketches, sketches, sketches!!
    Sketch how a leaf (again for example) could become the shape of the sat nav. Whatever you do start looking how you can incorporate it into your New Concept.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Page 3
    On the last page sketch out your final ideas, of how the Sat Nav can look. It doesn't have to be one design. Sketch out a couple of different ideas, include written annotations of the pros and cons of each idea.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A couple of extra overall pointers
    - On the first page make sure that your mood board has an overall rectangle finish. Its a Board. Boards are rectangular. The pictures should be small. Fill it up properly.
    - Make sure to PACK YOUR PAGES!!! not in a way where everything is clustered, but with order. Sketch as much as possible.

I keep seeing projects where people are writing their outputs in massive writing. Your not in Th class. I'm serious. You know it looks rubbish. Just put in some effort and do it properly.
    Same goes for sketching. Don't do one big sketch and leave the rest of the page blank. You know that isn't enough for leaving cert standard. PACK YOUR PAGES PROPERLY.

One last summary {example}
    Page 1 = cars
    page 2 = certain car make and model
    page 3 = rims of the car, wheels
    and then your design a Sat Nav in the shape of the wheels or rims.

Remember that the stuff you did in Output 1 and 2 should be constantly on your minds during this output.
    You dont have to make a world leading Sat Nav, just an ordinary yet original one.

on page 2 when your showing the themes, message and keywords wouldnt that include alot of writing? or how do i convey these with images?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

What do you have to save on the cd and what format should all the files be saved in?

Also, whats this "pack & go" about?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Anyone have any examples for part B ?

Don't know where to start...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mullarkey b

2 Star - Bad thread. Confusing, misguiding.
    pretty much everything youv said is in the student handbook, but i do need help with one thing... how the F*** do you justify environmental sustainability for output 7???

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

pretty much everything youv said is in the student handbook, but i do need help with one thing... how the F*** do you justify environmental sustainability for output 7???

id say dont mind that sh*te. i didnt go near it. i cud be wrong tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sligo007

I'm just wondering has anybody else finished there projects? Im stil putting mine together?
    And Finish date is Friday? So does that mean they have to be in the post on Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Sligo007 wrote: »
    And Finish date is Friday? So does that mean they have to be in the post on Thursday?

No you can hand it in on Friday as it is the final day to work on it,then your teacher will post it. Try and have it done for Thursday though incase anything goes wrong on Friday (printer,binder etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sligo007

Thanks! I got my 14 pages done just to scan original sketches in and do the computer stuff, can any one tell me what has to go in each folder that you have to hand up?
    Is it all the parts or just the assembly's,
    then save them twice, and the edrawing and solidworks
    and do all of the extrudes and everything have to be named?
    and also where do you put the word files? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

So how did everyone do in DCG itself?
    I ended up with A2 on Higher paper!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 kate747

Got an A1 !!!!!!! :D
    In HL

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

A1 in hl :D

Advertisement