Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Economics in St.Angelas

Options
  • 02-10-2010 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to go back to college when I am eligible to apply as a mature student to study Home Economics and become a 2nd level teacher.

The course places are very limited and the points are quite high at 500 (I have 405 from my leaving cert in 2006.) I was in UCD studying Social Science and due to a few reasons left halfway through the course which makes me ineligible for their access course.

I am quite worried about getting a place as it is all I want to do. I got an A1 in my leaving cert in Home Ec and just love it! I have been volunteering in the Home Ec Department in my old secondary school for the last month full time (I work nights) and plan to do so for the next year. They are great and so supportive.
    I have been in touch with the college and gotten little to no advice on what would help my application.

More than anything I want to be a Home Economics teacher it is the one and only thing I have a natural ability for. My dream is seeming like it is never going to happen. I am not eligible to apply until 2012 as my birthday falls in july and I wont be 23 until July 2011.

I cannot wait to get back into education and the thoughts of waiting the two years and then not getting in would be heartbreaking. I was thinking of applying to CAO in February to do Religion with either History or English as I have the points and see where I go from there. I am quite unsure though of what to do.

Can I apply to CAO as a mature student while in a course if I do this?

If I have to pay free fee's could I still apply for a grant to cover registration?

Any tips from anybody who may be in this course?

Sorry this post is a bit all over the place. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Anybody any advice?

Especially regarding applying as a mature student while in a course?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think you can apply as a mature student while already on another course (Not 100%) but if you drop out of one course to start another you will have to pay fees for the years you already started.

Would you look at some PLCs and see if any of them interest you? Take it from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Larianne wrote: »
    I think you can apply as a mature student while already on another course (Not 100%) but if you drop out of one course to start another you will have to pay fees for the years you already started.

Would you look at some PLCs and see if any of them interest you? Take it from there?

Thanks so much for your reply.

I rand UCD and am waiting on a reply to see what I am registered with them for. So I should know what I have to pay full fee's for.

I have looked at none particularly interest me. At the moment I am working and volunteering. Plan is to start in Mater Dei next september just need to make sure I can apply as a mature student while there and I think that will solve my dilemma.

Advertisement