Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MTB steam need help

• 02-10-2010 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Im only a noob when it comes to bike and needing help from expert bikers from boards, recently bought a lappiere pro race 300. Im in the process of shaving off the overall weight of the bike 10.6kg(what they say). Seat post now is thomson mastercraft, steering bar is scandium control tech. The stock fork is fox FRL 100mm with steerer tube 1.5, with that my next project is to upgrade the stock lappiere steam. So far i couldnt find the suitable size. Here are my requirements, 31.8 clamp, 5-10 degree rise, 90-100 mm length, color white or black, not carbon, weight must be sub 150 gms, price 100 up to 150 euro. The 100mm lenght and the 1.5 steerer size doesnt really mix up and lastly preferably a popular brand like thomson, control tech ,ritchey easton,crank bros.....

Many thanks to the boards cyclist and pls include where to get the product ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Any of the makes you mention would be fine. For example:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47156

Frankly I would suggest a far better investment would be to upgrade your cranks! I don't know what the spec of your bike is but I'm guessing it came with Shimano LX or equivalent? (My Pro-Race 500 did!). You could upgrade to XT for your budget and you will actually notice a difference - I can guarantee you won't feel any difference with a new stem (unless of course you are changing the length!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Don't think you have a 1.5 steerer. The Fox site says 1 1/8".

If you want weight-weeny, KCNC is a popular choice.

OTOH, some might say that your bike will look better if your components match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The stem is a standard 1 1/8" - any one of the brands you mentioned would be fine.

Why do you want to reduce the weight of the bike anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I've got something similar to this one and its very light and am happy with it:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22143

Not sure of the spec on your bike but a great investment is always a pair of wheels and then add some lightweight rotors and skewers. Plenty of options on chainreaction but always worth shopping around (that goes for the above stem as well)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭fasterkayote

RPL1 wrote: »
    Any of the makes you mention would be fine. For example:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47156

Frankly I would suggest a far better investment would be to upgrade your cranks! I don't know what the spec of your bike is but I'm guessing it came with Shimano LX or equivalent? (My Pro-Race 500 did!). You could upgrade to XT for your budget and you will actually notice a difference - I can guarantee you won't feel any difference with a new stem (unless of course you are changing the length!)

RPL1 ,
    Thanks for the reply im using shimanos mx30 right now, Almost everything is on my upgrade list believe me from xt's tranny to mavic slr ust wheels target wt is 9kg. Im just taking things slower right now 1 upgrade per salary (recession). And you are right about the cranks, Id be looking for something around 250-350 grams flat pedals someday....

Lumen,
    Ive got to verify with the store people where i got my bike, but i have a fella whos into MTB bigtime says that that i have a 1.5 steerer..
    1 thing to find out is to open it up myself..Thanks LUMEN...a gentleman

Lumen wrote: »
    Don't think you have a 1.5 steerer. The Fox site says 1 1/8".

Morgan wrote: »
    The stem is a standard 1 1/8" - any one of the brands you mentioned would be fine.

Why do you want to reduce the weight of the bike anyway?

Morgan,

Thanks man as ive said to LUMEN a fella of mine claims that my steerer is 1.5. I guess i need to look it up myself and get my caliper..gee 1 1/8 vs 1.5 my eyes would be enough i guess. Im OCC with bike right now and my target wt is 9kg...

cheers and more power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Welcome to the fantastic world of cycling.
    Now get your credit card/wallet out. Give it a hug and tell it 'This is gonna hurt but it will be worth it'

On the stem front there is a good few on Adverts.ie and Gumtree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Id be looking for something around 250-350 grams flat pedals someday....

Flat pedals on an XC race bike ..........noooooooo!!

• Advertisement

bcmf wrote: »
    Welcome to the fantastic world of cycling.
    Now get your credit card/wallet out. Give it a hug and tell it 'This is gonna hurt but it will be worth it'

On the stem front there is a good few on Adverts.ie and Gumtree.

BCMF

Nice one....Thank you for the welcome. this well be my 3rd hobby at present and its all getting the attention.. my airsoft and photography will be on hold from now on..

RPL1 wrote: »
    Flat pedals on an XC race bike ..........noooooooo!!

RPL1...

Men im a noob remember....ive got to learn how to crawls first before flying....ThANKS AGAIN MEN...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭ciarsciars

RPL1...

Men im a noob remember....ive got to learn how to crawls first before flying....ThANKS AGAIN MEN...

Then why do you want to spend €900 on a pair of wheels???? I'd say 1kg is gonna make shag all difference to your whole 'cycling experience' if you are just starting off. I'd say fittness and skill level will be far more important. If all the components are relatively new and fit correctly, i'd say ride 'em til they need replacing and then upgrade, especially with the winter months approaching!

Anyway, i'm probably just jealous i can't afford all that stuff. BTW if you are selling any of the current components give me a shout :)

ciarsciars wrote: »
    Then why do you want to spend €900 on a pair of wheels???? I'd say 1kg is gonna make shag all difference to your whole 'cycling experience' if you are just starting off. I'd say fittness and skill level will be far more important. If all the components are relatively new and fit correctly, i'd say ride 'em til they need replacing and then upgrade, especially with the winter months approaching!

Anyway, i'm probably just jealous i can't afford all that stuff. BTW if you are selling any of the current components give me a shout :)

Ive always been a geardo, and always worked my Axx just to get wat ive wanted, as long as the economy allows. as i am starting new to this MTB craze along with the bike parts, also collecting bike specific tools from teng tools torque wrench to small rachets to tyre pumps to shock pump..
    skills and fitness wise is impt. as with any sport good gears only helps.
    as we use to say in airsoft, these (airsoft gun) are only tools-i am the weapon.

boards been always a good source of info and the boards people are very friendly...

The thing is, when you get down to changing one stem for another of the same length based purely on style or weight, you're well into "completely pointless upgrade" territory (I know that territory, I'm a permanent resident).

How much riding are you doing right now, and of what sort?

With winter coming fast, the stuff that really matters is what keeps you on the bike in all weathers: clothing, lights etc. Stems just keep your handlebars from falling off.

Advertisement