Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cable length ring cct

Options
  • 02-10-2010 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Is there a maximum run length for 2.5 T&E when used in ring ccts

The consumer unit is planned for the utility, which is back to back with the kitchen, so close to heaviest loads. Both these rooms are toward one end of the length of the building

However some bedrooms sockets are 22m from the CU, opposite end.

Splitting up into multiple rings I can easily keep the cable area coverage down, but it’s the long run until I get to the first socket on the far away rooms that I’m concerned about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

was on a similar first fix yesterday -fuseboard in utility
    used 4 radials for kitchen/ utility
    and 2 rings for the long runs

100m2 is the floor area allowed -after that the 4%VD and Zl for the MCB are prob the limiting factors

you could always de-rate them to 20amp - anyhow

i reckon you'll prob be ok-go with the rings anyhow imo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

you could always de-rate them to 20amp - anyhow
    The last edition of the regs will not allow this, I have not checked it in this edition but I think it is the same.

enquired recently about this(my inspector) -was told it's acceptable

then again the rules may show 32-

i don't normally de-rate anyhow

but i've been on large jobs all wired in 4sq rings /20amp rcbos go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I thought ring circuits were not allowed anymore?

ft9 wrote: »
    I thought ring circuits were not allowed anymore?

not in kitchens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭d o'c

I can keep well within the 100m2 for the rings. Another thought I had was to move the CU to the inner kitchen wall, I'd gain 12-13 metres (L shape) closer to the 'centre' of the building, but I'd rather not as the layout of the first floor make feeding cable much more difficult.

how can I get a ballpark figure for say 100m of 2.5 T&E IZ max, disregarding for a minute, ambient cond, temp, routing etc.

I will be able to route the longer runs down my service ailse behind the purlin,not bunched up near insulation, and I've fitted 25mm conduits,so things shundn't get too cosy

if you mean the Zl at the socket on a ring circuit using 100m of 2.5 T+E

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gospry/gospry2_033.htm

a 100m run gives an R1+R2(uk terminology) of 0.48

add that to your external fault loop impedance if you have it- and that's your Zl

the max ZL of 0.9 for B32 allows for 0.4 ohms on the supply fault loop using those figures

Advertisement