Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 day week/pay cut

Options
  • 02-10-2010 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question
    i work in a large company where alot of people have been put on 3 day week. recently we have been told that they will be introducing pay cuts also. I just wondering can anyone advise if company can put someone on a 3 day and also cut pay at the same time, it seems grossly unfair to cut someone down to 3 day week which cuts wages and then introduce a paycut on top of that, it's hard enough surviving on wages for 3 day week but if they cut that amount as well??? what steps can be taken to prevent pay cut? if any? Also how much notice does a company have to give about pay cut? a month or a week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've no idea about any of your questions, but I know that if your hours get cut, you can receive some sort of dole for the days you are not working.

Goto here, and look at the part about "If your days at work are reduced (permanently)".

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

An employee's working hours form part of their contract of employment with their employer and therefore reducing working hours without the employees consent is a breach of their contract. Many contracts of employment will include a couple of lines allowing the employer to vary the employees working hours. However if this is not included this can be an issue similarly when an employer tries to introduce unilateral pay cuts, unless these are authorised by an employee in writing, a pay cut is in breach of employment legislation.

You could claim that the reduction in you working hours is a breach of your contract. then resign and claim having been constructively dismissed. It would mean resigning and moving into a poor job market.

You could claim a reduction in pay and bring a case under the Payment of Wages legislation.

You could go to Court for breach of contract.
    You could ask the Rights Commissioner from the Labour Court to investigate the matter as a trade dispute.

You also have to balance your resistance to these measures versus threatening the surivial of your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just to say thanks for the posts - i actually checked with NERA and they said same as you Silke - basically pay cut etc without agreement/written consent is breach of contract and employer can't do it without consent - however many companies in financial difficulty. With regard to both pay cut and a 3 day week - that would be exceptionally severe.
    On the notice period required for paycut i received conflicting advice - some saying should be months notice other say only 24 hours depending on financial state of company

Advertisement