Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am i eligible for Rent Allowance?

• 02-10-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry for another rent allowance thread, :rolleyes:

I am living with my partner and our son in a private rental, I am on BTEA allowance at present and my partner is doing a masters and is in receipt of a payment (i'm not sure of the official name, I think it might be research allowance) it is below minium wage and she does not pay tax, we went a while back to the CWO who told us we were not eligible for rent allowance because my partner was over the threshold by 40e! :mad:

I was on jobseekers allowance at the time and getting 196.00 per week, we have been paying 530e per month for our rent and have found it difficult, now we found out we are expecting a new arrival in the family and I was wondering does the change in my circumstance;

BTEA
    2nd Child on the way

1) Can I get rent allowance now i'm on BTEA allowance?

2) 2nd child on the way?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I don't know the answer but www.citizensinformation.ie might help.

It can be confusing though. To qualify for rent supplement do you need to be living in the place for 6 months? that's what it seems to say on the website.
    Also, I notice a lot of landlords on daft.ie say "no rent allowance accepted". what is that about? I thought rent allowance is paid to the person him/herself to go towards the rent, not to the landlord??????? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I don't know the answer but www.citizensinformation.ie might help.

It can be confusing though. To qualify for rent supplement do you need to be living in the place for 6 months? that's what it seems to say on the website.
    Also, I notice a lot of landlords on daft.ie say "no rent allowance accepted". what is that about? I thought rent allowance is paid to the person him/herself to go towards the rent, not to the landlord??????? :confused:

Some landlords choose not to have rent allowance tenants as there is a stereo type that they won't pay or leave place a mess, the RA is t paid to the tenant in bank or post office, up to tenant to pay landlord.

You have to be 6 months renting in a private rental to qualify, unless you are a one parent or asylum seeker who gets their papers.

Batt

• Registered Users Posts: 7 imlostatsea

The application form for rent allowance must also be filled in by the landlord and the landlord has to put down his/her PPS number for tax purposes hence why alot of land lords don't want rent allowance plus the more obvious factors as stated before...
    If you have another child on the way and your income doesnt increase then that means you have less viable income and means your more suitale for rent allowance. What you will need to do is apply to be acessed for social housing i.e apply for the housing list and be acessed for housing needs, this speeds up the process and also means your more likely to get rent allowance if you are approved for social housing, the CWO will visit your house to acess your housing needs as in is the house suitable for you, how many bedrooms etc, If you get refused you have the right to appeal which is written on the bottom of the form if i remember correctly.:)
    Hope this helps, applyed for the rent allowance a month ago but didnt have any luck even though i was living alone and getting 100euro a week due to my age, Thankfully im starting work in a few hours hence how late it is at night I'm replying. If you need anymore help go to www.INOU.ie and join them, they will send you a free booklet which has everything and even explains how the CWO will calculate your rent allowance entitlement. Good Luck:D:D

Advertisement