Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry pay as you go

Options
  • 02-10-2010 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I really want to get a blackberry phone.....im currently with 02 on prepay...really dont wanna switch to bill pay. I heard somewhere that vodafone are now doing blackberrys on pay as you go....dont particularly want to switch to vodafone though...quite content with 02. any advice?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

You could try and buy a second hand one from Adverts.ie if you were interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

i had a blackberry storm on o2 pre pay (the phone was vodafone branded)
    waste a time really because i was so limited on what i could do...
    ie.. couldn't use internet because couldn't get o2 service settings .. couldn't use any apps because couldn't connect to the internet either !!

pointless really unless you just want to text and make phone calls !!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

i had a blackberry storm on o2 pre pay (the phone was vodafone branded)
    waste a time really because i was so limited on what i could do...
    ie.. couldn't use internet because couldn't get o2 service settings .. couldn't use any apps because couldn't connect to the internet either !!

pointless really unless you just want to text and make phone calls !!

Yes, this kinda the case with a blackberry without a plan. You can stull use the internet, just have to use an external browser, rather the the blackberry one, but yes, you are not getting the full services without a blackberry plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The browsers horrible on blackberry. There really meant for corporate blackberry applications, it's not a great phone for the ordinary man on the street, Nokia e63 would do just as good a job for what you want but you may forget about staying with o2 if you want to use the internet on it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I had both a Nokia e63 and Blackberry Bold 9000 on Meteor prepay, much preferred the Nokia.

But I read somewhere that RIM have changed they way operators must pay for BIS, so I think it is possible that o2 could start offering Blackberrys with all features enabled in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

i bought a prepay curve from Vf friday - purely curiosity, coz I'd never used BB OS.

now I know why BB open up to prepay: they are kinda sucky! As a previous poster said: and e63 or e5 is superior. Way way superior.
    Yes, the curve has some nifty features (I like the useful context menus, the way some apps integrate etc etc...), but oh my, a lot is just very 2005!
    And with regards to Vodafone' prepay offer ("free" web/mail until Feb; then 50c/day ---> don't be fooled!

A) free web - only applies to the extremely bad BB browser. Since the curve is 2g, anyone who uses the web with a curve will probably use opera mini. However: any and all 3rd party apps with web access are still charged the same 99/day as ALL Vf phones!!!

B) free mail: the curve's messaging app is awful and worse: without an Enterprise account its functionality is seriously poor! i cannot sync my email account's folders to the curve. You just have a basic inbox. New emails only get synced. You cannot get any old folder content saved on server. And I hate the combined inbox. All messages (sms, mms and whatever email accts you have) are lumped together, without any obvious indication where they're from. i use different email accounts for different purposes. You have to open every message to find out what acct they belong to.....
    The optical d-pad is very annoying - especially when you scroll through the small extensive context menus.
    boot: it takes about 2 minutes to start the sucker!

on the plus side: the cam is surprisingly good. The music player (and all sounds) are nicely loud!
    So, definitely: try before buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

strecker wrote: »
    i bought a prepay curve from Vf friday - purely curiosity, coz I'd never used BB OS.

now I know why BB open up to prepay: they are kinda sucky! As a previous poster said: and e63 or e5 is superior. Way way superior.
    Yes, the curve has some nifty features (I like the useful context menus, the way some apps integrate etc etc...), but oh my, a lot is just very 2005!
    And with regards to Vodafone' prepay offer ("free" web/mail until Feb; then 50c/day ---> don't be fooled!

A) free web - only applies to the extremely bad BB browser. Since the curve is 2g, anyone who uses the web with a curve will probably use opera mini. However: any and all 3rd party apps with web access are still charged the same 99/day as ALL Vf phones!!!

B) free mail: the curve's messaging app is awful and worse: without an Enterprise account its functionality is seriously poor! i cannot sync my email account's folders to the curve. You just have a basic inbox. New emails only get synced. You cannot get any old folder content saved on server. And I hate the combined inbox. All messages (sms, mms and whatever email accts you have) are lumped together, without any obvious indication where they're from. i use different email accounts for different purposes. You have to open every message to find out what acct they belong to.....
    The optical d-pad is very annoying - especially when you scroll through the small extensive context menus.
    boot: it takes about 2 minutes to start the sucker!

on the plus side: the cam is surprisingly good. The music player (and all sounds) are nicely loud!
    So, definitely: try before buy!

1. you can sync contacts with gmail.
    2. you can seperate your sms messages to a different folder from your mail
    3. you can have an icon for each mail account on a blackberry. so mail accounts become seperate.....
    4. you can turn down the sensitivity of the track pad, which makes it nicer to use.

5. check out the forum over on crackberry.com some handy tips and tricks there for first time berry users.

6. a lot of the stuff you say above about blackberry is incorrect, and i just dont have the time to correct it........:D

enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

ingen wrote: »
    1. you can sync contacts with gmail.
    2. you can seperate your sms messages to a different folder from your mail
    3. you can have an icon for each mail account on a blackberry. so mail accounts become seperate.....
    4. you can turn down the sensitivity of the track pad, which makes it nicer to use.

5. check out the forum over on crackberry.com some handy tips and tricks there for first time berry users.

6. a lot of the stuff you say above about blackberry is incorrect, and i just dont have the time to correct it........:D

enjoy!
    I don't care :D
    Maybe I didn't express myself clearly enough: the mail app is rotten and limited compared to latest e-series and/or just about other modern OS. Take that, and do/think what you want.
    Also: are you talking specifically about Vodafone's prepay Curve 8520? Cause I was.

I did clearly say, that some aspects of the BB OS are fine, and my main gripes are obviously with Vf's "free" this and that offer, and the folks in the shops have no idea of the fact that once you use a 3rd party app, the 99cent/day apply despite the free web, and the Vf reps here on boards are too ignorant and distracted to clarify such issues. There, my rant :eek:

Oh, lastly, I saw that you "can" adjust trackpad sensitivity (the b is not exactly my first phone), but g*dknows what Vf did to the fw, coz, well, you can't on my xmas tree curve 8520.

Having said all that, I may still give the bold a chance.
    peace, happy sunday, hasta la vista

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

Sorry to crash the thread!!

So would i be right in assuming that if I buy 02 (bill) blackberry 8250 or 9300 2nd hand I wouldn't be able to access net etc as normal with 02 prepay sim??
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

once its on 02, there shouldnt be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

once its on 02, there shouldnt be an issue

so I won't have any problems using 02 bill blackberry with 02 prepay sim card? Like no limit of services etc?

Advertisement