Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next beers

Options
  • 02-10-2010 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

seeing that the other beers thread is now out dated.

i thought i would start a thread on any up and coming beers events. Rumoured to be the 4th of november. so all discussion can go in here about dates venues ,locations etc

I have attached a poll but it probably will be in balbriggan. ( i think skerries would be a good compromise)

ok i have allowed multiple voting in the poll . but you should vote for a location and date only once to be fair.

so for example if you want it in balbriggan on the 5th only click balbriggan and the 5th once.

( made sense in my head at the time)

Where do you want the next beers? 49 votes

Skerries
    0%
    Balbriggan
    12%
    tenandtracerdominomanThe Hill BillyDubArksNarahCanuckAbroad 6 votes
    Rush
    20%
    ChinafootGristlyEndWebmonkeymeditraitorcathy01sNarahBonitowobblyknees[Deleted User]poochierockz 10 votes
    Swords
    4%
    blahblah06Gumble01 2 votes
    W/e 5th
    26%
    PaulwLariannePCrosCorsendonkpinkypinkyClare BeartomplayaMcChubbinBonitoMichael BUriel.Falcon CrestDaisy! 13 votes
    w/e 12th
    22%
    ChinafootGristlyEndmeditraitorcathy01CorsendonkLeoBsNarahtomplayawobblyknees[Deleted User]poochierockz 11 votes
    w/e 19th
    10%
    PaulwClare BearMichael BUriel.CanuckAbroad 5 votes
    w/e 26th
    4%
    The Hill Billypinkypinky 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Rush
    I'd love to show up to next one of these. I've just moved to Balbriggan so be nice to get to know some people from DCN. I didn't specify a date as I don't care when I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

w/e 12th
    I have the 4th of November penciled down already!

As for the location, obviously Balbriggan would be the handiest for me and the Bracken Court was really enjoyable last night, but I'm not too fussed and will just go where the party is!

w/e 12th
    Guess I'm only insistant that it's Balbriggan cause Cathy suggested it, set the date then admitted it's her birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

w/e 12th
    It does not really bother me where it is as I dont drink but probably in fairness to the good souls who turned up last Friday Id be happy with Bracken Court again.

Im from Rush so if Martron or someone needs a lift pm me. Only fair I caution tho if I am working on Saturday I will leave around 11 - 11.30 as I start work on Sat at 6.45am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i dont mind where it is either. its a long way off i was merely taking the democratic approach :D

( obviously for handiness sake i would pick rush or skerries but i dont mind)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

W/e 5th
    Peacocks in Swords would be a good choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CanuckAbroad

w/e 19th
    As November will be my first month in Ireland, I'm up for an outing! I'll leave the location to the experts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

w/e 19th
    Would it not be fairer to have this somewhere other than Balbriggan this time seeing as the other one was there?

w/e 12th
    In fairness, only three of us were at the Balbriggan beers.

w/e 12th
    I only voted for date but will go for Bracken Ct as venue again seeing as the 3 who turned up the last time will be mad keen to make sure we get looked after.:D

• Advertisement

w/e 12th
    The people have spoken... it does appear it shall be Swords! (Probably irrevelant to me, tbh, got invited to a party for Halloween and I can't really refuse, so probably wont be able to go out on the 5th anyway!)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

None of those who voted for the most popular venue (Swords) also voted for the most popular date (w/e 5th)

4 of them voted for w/e 12th however, so I would suggest Swords is firmed up on, but posters should confirm which of these 2 dates they prefer for a Swords meet-up

w/e 12th
    Very good idea Beasty, I noted that too, the 12th in Swords seems to be most popular.

Which still allows us to go out in Balbriggan on the 5th for Cathy's birthday! ;)

To be honest Swords was the one place in the NCD boards drinkies that I wasn't going to make it to anyway, regardless of date, so it suits me fine to have it in November when I can't afford to :pac:
    (Nothing against Swords, just a personal fear of the place (or someone in it)).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

w/e 12th
    ok, so whats the plan?

w/e 12th
    Indeed, anyone got a plan?

Rush
    Yeah lets plan it out early so people have time. I suggest we set a date for the poll to be closed and just go with what that tells us.

It's looking quite like Swords weekending 5th. I don't mind travelling out there anyways.

w/e 12th
    No one from Swords is coming forwards to organise the beers... I vote to reinstate the original plan of Balbriggan beers on the 5th.

Those who want it in Swords should speak up if they want it in their area!!

I'm fine to organise all the beers nights if people want, have experience of organising meetings like this, but I just can't go to Swords. Just when I thought maybe I was being irrationally afraid of someone who I cut out of my life 18 months ago, got a fresh attack last weekend, so he hasn't forgotten me yet :mad: I'd be stupid to show my face around there.

So if the Swords folk would like to pipe up it'd be a good thing, you seemed to vote for Swords on the 12th, but hey, we can't do everything for you.... a bit of input would be nice..... otherwise you can't exactly blam us for doing Balbriggan again.

Rush
    Yeah, well what ever ye think. I'm just looking forward meeting new people from here (Balbriggan). Need to get to know people, know no one here! :)

w/e 12th
    Webmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah, well what ever ye think. I'm just looking forward meeting new people from here (Balbriggan). Need to get to know people, know no one here! :)
    I'd invite you out for a drink cept I'm not free for a few days yet!! If you fancy a quiet pint Wednesday, Thursday, Friday next week send me a PM. Me and the boyfriend are pretty new to Balbriggan too so great to get to know other people.

Rush
    I'd invite you out for a drink cept I'm not free for a few days yet!! If you fancy a quiet pint Wednesday, Thursday, Friday next week send me a PM. Me and the boyfriend are pretty new to Balbriggan too so great to get to know other people.
    Ah very good thanks! - I'm after moving in with a girl too here and she new to the area too so be nice to meet some new people! Cheers :)

• Advertisement

w/e 12th
    Webmonkey wrote: »
    Ah very good thanks! - I'm after moving in with a girl too here and she new to the area too so be nice to meet some new people! Cheers :)
    Excellent stuff, are you free during the weekdays next week? My boyfriend is off work, I don't work, so we're free. We have a party we're supposed to go to on Saturday in the city centre but not really sure we can afford it/are bothered to go.

Give us a yell if you feel like meeting up this coming week! I say "quiet pint" but by that I mean only one or two - I'm never quiet.

w/e 12th
    I'm going to be offline until Tuesday evening, so I suggest the Swords boardsies you insisted that they have the next beers there get in here and sort the feckin thing out!! I may venture into Swords if I have my boyfriend wih me and we can afford taxis out (I do have to be very careful in Swords).

But because we had loads pf "You had Balbriggan, now somewhere else!" whinges, we are open to that somewhere else, and you all <snip> off!!

So, right now I reckon Balbriggan on the 5th for Cathy's *cough* 21st *cough* birthday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Falcon Crest

W/e 5th
    I'm going to be offline until Tuesday evening, so I suggest the Swords boardsies you insisted that they have the next beers there get in here and sort the feckin thing out!! I may venture into Swords if I have my boyfriend wih me and we can afford taxis out (I do have to be very careful in Swords).

But because we had loads pf "You had Balbriggan, now somewhere else!" whinges, we are open to that somewhere else, and you all <snip> off!!

So, right now I reckon Balbriggan on the 5th for Cathy's *cough* 21st *cough* birthday!!

God you have an awful attitude!! You know what, I wouldn't want to go to a Beers now with someone like you. No need to cry like a baby just because Swords won the vote. Go have your Balbriggan Beers then and maybe the Swords gang should have their own one for anyone that wants to have one. It seems like this forum is very divided with the Balbriggan/Rush/Skerries people and the Swords/Malahide/Howth etc people so maybe there should be seperate beers anyway to suit everyone. Enjoy the Balbriggan Beers!:rolleyes:

w/e 12th
    God you have an awful attitude!! You know what, I wouldn't want to go to a Beers now with someone like you. No need to cry like a baby just because Swords won the vote. Go have your Balbriggan Beers then and maybe the Swords gang should have their own one for anyone that wants to have one. It seems like this forum is very divided with the Balbriggan/Rush/Skerries people and the Swords/Malahide/Howth etc people so maybe there should be seperate beers anyway to suit everyone. Enjoy the Balbriggan Beers!:rolleyes:

Thats a bit strong. Budgese pushed the drinks but no one from Swords came forward after voting for Swords. A lot of us would not know where to go in Swords.

As for the divide you seem to think there is between Balbriggan/Rush/Skerries and Swords/Malahide/Howth I dont buy that at all. There are a good few community activists from Balbriggan/Rush/Skerries and a lot of ideas and discussions take place among the boardsies on various topics.

Some would also say there is quite a difference between the areas you mention tho in terms of population and community groups. While Balbriggan has grown quite a bit Rush and Skerries have maintained more of the rural feel.

You will find most of the people on N.C.D quite friendly and very helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭poochierockz

w/e 12th
    LeoB wrote: »
    As for the divide you seem to think there is between Balbriggan/Rush/Skerries and Swords/Malahide/Howth I dont buy that at all.

Agreed, I don't see a divide at all..
    anyway.. I'm WebMonkey's flatmate! sup dude :D We're both new to town so we don't mind where we go, just want to meet some new people and we've no clue where to go so just waiting on the experts to decide! But if there's no planning in Swords yet .. Balbriggan works just fine for me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Falcon Crest

W/e 5th
    Sorry, her post just really annoyed me and I thought it was very rude.

Anyway not so much a divide, more 90% of this forum seems to be about Balbriggan and bit of Skerries and Rush thrown in and as a person not living in those places it does put me off a bit sometimes, just my honest opinion, I still enjoy the forum regardless. But that's obviously down to population etc. I think most people on this forum are very friendly and helpful so not dissing the forum at all, I just didn't see any need for her little outburst. Thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry, her post just really annoyed me and I thought it was very rude.

If you have a problem with a post, use the report post button

I, for one, took budgese's post as a tongue in cheek challenge to try and get some impetus behind this, although I would add that her choice of language was completely inappropriate for this forum - next time it will incur an infraction

Now back on topic

Thanks

Beasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

w/e 12th
    Well I did raise the idea of a circuit of alternative venues to avoid the North South divide from happening and even do the first event was a low turnout a new venue should have been moved on to. It will be Gettysburg all over again soon :D

I am based in Rush so Swords is always a good place to go out in and plenty of options for a late drink or dance for those that want to and taxi options which won't be too expensive if 2 or 3 are going in the same direction. Surprisely some of my worst experiences getting a Taxi after a nightout have been in Skerries unless you were heading in Balbriggan direction.

Someone mentioned the Harp which is fine if you want a really quiet drink, the last time I was there for a birthday party, one regular brought his laptop with him and was on it all night. Maybe he was a Boards Mod!

The Cock Tavern and Old Boro are pretty decent venues with good atmospheres for starting off in or staying for the night and considering the first turnout was low I don't think we should be worried about picking large or quiet venues that can accom large groups.

P.S the post that rubbed some up the wrong way was posted at 5am so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

W/e 5th
    Cock Tavern is good but might be hard to find seating for a big group of people. Maybe The Old Boro?

• Advertisement

Rush
    I propose on Friday we close this poll and just go with what's been voted. Otherwise I can see it happening that there will be uncertainty right up until the day before and no one will show up!

I just noticed the poll is closing on the Monday anyways so that should be fine :)

Advertisement